FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The world cup!

Ayeseetee

What a match between England and Italy ! Great victory for Italy. Pirlo, Marchisio and Candreva were awesome. I'm very confident.

I was wondering what you were confident about, Gavroche, but I looked back in the thread to see that you tipped Italy!

A cliché it may be, but Italy are 'always there-or-thereabouts'.

For me, both teams played better last night than in the 0-0 draw at the 2012 Euros.

England are still very much in it. Despite all the media pundits proclaiming that the Uruguay game is a 'must win', it needn't necessarily be the case. It's more of a 'must not lose'! A draw followed by a win against Costa Rica could well be enough.

But, overall, it's been an excellent tournament so far. I actually watched 5 football matches yesterday...went to the Muir of Ord United v. Golspie Stafford, Highland Amateur Cup game and got home just as the first of the 4 World Cup games was starting. Football heaven!

• Agree 1

France definitely contenders too, providing they have a team left after that horrendous tackling by the Hondos. 

Europe's chances high, Netherlands, Italy, France and I won't write of Spain just yet, all in with a big shout.

• Agree 1

France definitely contenders too, providing they have a team left after that horrendous tackling by the Hondos. 

Europe's chances high, Netherlands, Italy, France and I won't write of Spain just yet, all in with a big shout.

Don't forget Germany and belgium!

I suppose when the world cup comes around every four years my mind goes back to my earliest recollections

The very earliest was as a seven years old my Dad moaning that the mighty England team had lost to the USA in 1950. but as a little lad I could not understand

4 years later I remember seeing a picture in my annual Christmas gift of the Charles Buchan  Football Annual of the winners West Germany. I don't think any of the matches were televised.

In 1958 I was 14 and about to leave school ( yes I left at 14 you folk who criticise my education note that), anyway all 4 home UK nations  qualified

England and Scotland were knocked out of the group stages, I think they may have been televised but I don't recall. I was desperate to get my families old wartime Radio to tune into the France v Northern Ireland match, but no luck. Eventually I got a  short wave station, Northern Ireland were defeated, but I listened to a crackling broken broadcast in French, a language I hadn't a clue in. - Wales were playing Brasil I think. I was very interested in that match again I listened to it in French. John Chareles was playing for Wales in my opinion the best footballer ever to lace his boots.

I cant really remember much about the 1962 World cup, by that time I was an old teenager and my thoughts lay elsewhere. 1966 I watched all the games on TV, and I am not ashamed to say England were very lucky. I did miss the final as I was in a traffic jam in Somerset, on my way with my girl friend to Torquay.

About 1968 I was in a night club in Blackburn were I worked I was standing alone when a blonde haired guy came in. We chatted for about 20 minutes before I realise he was Bobby Moore.

World cups after that have become a blur, England's succession of failures have became usual, -  bad management  and an inability to take penalties, and stupid sending's off have contributed to a long line of disasters. One always live in home, Human nature I feel

Edited by Laurence

World cups after that have become a blur, England's succession of failures have became usual, -  bad management  and an inability to take penalties, and stupid sending's off have contributed to a long line of disasters. One always live in home, Human nature I feel

Plus the fact they are nowhere as good as some of the media and fans believe and haven't been for a long long time 

What a disgrace Honduras were; they were lucky to still have 10 men on the pitch at the end.  I don't suppose we could have expected much better from them in the light of how they behaved in so called "friendlies" just prior to the tournament.  Credit to France who kept their discipline - something that has sometimes been a problem for them.

It'll be interesting to see how Messi performs after having shaken off his nerves with a quite brilliant goal.  He was gash in the first half but in the 2nd he finally showed how he is capable of producing a bit of magic that can beat any defence in the world.

Looking forward to Germany v Portugal tonight.  This will give us a feel for how all the main teams are shapping up.

Plus the fact they are nowhere as good as some of the media and fans believe and haven't been for a long long time 

With the greatest of respect

I suppose by the Media I presume you mean the printed press. Do England fans not deserve a boost from their own papers?

Going on about the English media is a Scottish notion used to obliterate any idea that England deserve any credit or encouragement from their own nation. 

I have not noticed this time any massive broadcasting hype of England's chances

I have detected a certain sense of realism, that the team is young and inexperienced,

The senior pro's are passed their sell by date, The captain is struggling both for Liverpool and England. He certainly is no anchor man.

I think Paul Carrick should be playing there. Again my point of poor manager ship..

Wayne Rooney playing as a left winger is a joke, on his day he is a fine striker, but the defensive duties as a left winger , I don't think so.

Leighton was exposed to too many Italian runs down the left side , Rooney was not prepared to help him.

Joe Hart should have come out for the cross that was the Italy winner. If there is any media hype about that performance it will not convince me , or the 7000 souls who made the long journey to the Amazon to support their country

Harry Rednap should have the job. The media were right on that hook.

Having said all that playing in 90 degrees F was not easy and the team should qualify playing in lower temperatures elsewhere. The next opposition after the group stages is Ivory Coast or Columbia. Not a tall order I would think

Harry Redknapp didn't get the job because he isn't a very good manager, nor does he have the international experience Hodgson has.

Provided England get past Uruguay and Costa Rica (not guaranteed by any means!), Ivory Coast and Colombia could well be too much for them I reckon.  Both were very impressive in their first game, particularly Colombia.

I actually watched 5 football matches yesterday...went to the Muir of Ord United v. Golspie Stafford, Highland Amateur Cup game and got home just as the first of the 4 World Cup games was starting. Football heaven!

You're not married, are you... :wink:

• Agree 4

Harry Redknapp didn't get the job because he isn't a very good manager, nor does he have the international experience Hodgson has.

Provided England get past Uruguay and Costa Rica (not guaranteed by any means!), Ivory Coast and Colombia could well be too much for them I reckon.  Both were very impressive in their first game, particularly Colombia.

ha ha - that's so funny

ha ha - that's so funny - I was working in Blackburn they couldn't get rid of him quick enough.

Hodgeson is not fit to lace Rednaps' training pumps

ha ha - that's so funny

Ehm....not sure what you found so funny?  :blink:

Hodgson has a good record all over Europe and has managed clubs like Copenhagen, Inter Milan (twice if you count his time as caretaker) and Udinese.  He also did well at Fulham and West Brom (Liverpool not so great).  Redknapp doesn't really have a particularly good record at all.  Hodgson also has international managerial experience with the UAE and Finland and also managed Switzerland at USA 94.

Would be nice as well if you could make a point by backing it up like a normal person and not by coming across as a patronising arrogant ignoranus. 

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Hodgson has a good record all over Europe and has managed clubs like Copenhagen, Inter Milan (twice if you count his time as caretaker) and Udinese.  He also did well at Fulham and West Brom (Liverpool not so great).  Redknapp doesn't really have a particularly good record at all.  Hodgson also has international managerial experience with the UAE and Finland and also managed Switzerland at USA 94.

He actually took Switzerland to 3rd in the FIFA rankings!

The next opposition after the group stages is Ivory Coast or Columbia. Not a tall order I would think

Let's hope it's Ivory Coast then. Defeating a film studio could be a very tall order :lol:

• Agree 1

If we are going into film mode then it looks as though Germany's Muller will be getting the lead role as he is clearly the best actor around.

Back on topic on a serious side I am disappointed in how little condemnation there has been of Muller.  Most of the pundits seem to be agreed that whilst Muller over-reacted, Pepe only has himself to blame for getting sent off.  Whilst he didn't actually head butt Muller he should know that touching heads in an aggressive manner like that was a no no and should have simply walked away.  Whatever the current laws of the game may say about such incidents my sympathies are entirely with Pepe. 

Muller cheated in that he acted in a way which suggested that Pepe had committed an offence which might have warranted a red card.  Pepe was legitimately angry but was unable to contain his anger and got sent of for his reaction.  Then sending off may not have had a bearing on the result but may impact on Portugal's chances of progression both because of Pepe's absence in the next two games and the possibility of the 2nd place being decided on goal; difference.  Meanwhile Muller did not even get a booking and went on to get a hat-trick.

Within the current laws of the game or at any rate in the light of the way referees are told to interpret them, it pays to cheat.  It is sad that there is so much acceptance of cheating.  It then seems quite bizarre that there should also be some kind of self righteous condemnation of those who react against those who are doing the cheating.  In my view Muller should have got the red card for his shameful cheating whilst Pepe should have got a yellow for his reaction.

One of the features of the world cup so far is the level of commitment of the players and the spirit it is being played in (in general).  There are some strong tackles flying in but the fact that this is passion and commitment and not malice is accepted. I would love to see some kind of video referee who could adjudicate on such incidents and instruct the referee to take the appropriate action.  As it is, we have a player who shamed the beautiful game and yet is basking in the glory of a hat-trick.  It is simply wrong and taints what has been an excellent tournament so far.

• Agree 2