IBM Transport

Advised it was in Sneck and here is another of my old places of work

Millerton Filling Station with a Wolseley 18/85 on the left, in the middle with the twin rear windows I think is an Austin 12 and on the right is a Ford Popular.

A guess that would have been the Black Isle Show early 60's

Or maybe that show that used to take place in the Bught round about the same era (forgotten the name)?

Is the floral arrangement in the middle meant to represent a Roller for which I believe the IMC were the local agents?

That would have been the Highland Show which used to be at the Bught, I think that car is meant to be a Jaguar.  I am sure it was Macrae & Dick that were the Rolls Royce agents in Inverness.

You may very well be right IBM - in fact on vehicular matters you inevitably are!

Advised it was in Sneck and here is another of my old places of work

Millerton Filling Station with a Wolseley 18/85 on the left, in the middle with the twin rear windows I think is an Austin 12 and on the right is a Ford Popular.

I worked at Millerton during the summer of 1969 along with Dave Caddell who was a year ahead of me in school and whose dad was a psychiatrist at Craig Dunain and, I'm fairly sure, was Martin Whittet's deputy there. IHE will know but I think Ronnie Caddell got my uncle's job when he left to be in charge of Dykebar near Paisley. By that time a new building had replaced the wooden one at the filling station and the owner was a guy called Hall Thomson. He paid me a miserable 2/6d an hour  - £5 for a 40 hour week - although the tips were fairly good, especially from the French if you spoke French to them but not the Americans who thought our "gas" was very dear.

The price range for six different blends was from 6/3d a gallon for 91 octane up to 6/8d for 101. (For the younger generation that's around 7p a litre!)

SMT showroom on Academy St, the store was at the right hand side with a moan of a storeman in the early 80's!  2 Victors and a Cresta in the front, how times have changed without dozens of cars out the front. 

Good photo outside the old RNI would have been taken late 70's going by the cars, from the left half a Ford Capri (I had 2 of them), Mk4 Ford Cortina, Austin Alegro, Mk1 VW Golf, Mk2 Vauxhall Viva, Vauxhall Chevette ( I had one), Austin Allegro rear view, Mini, Mk3 Ford Cortina (I had one), Datsun 120Y and I cant make out the last one.  

• Agree 1

Good photo outside the old RNI would have been taken late 70's going by the cars, from the left half a Ford Capri (I had 2 of them), Mk4 Ford Cortina, Austin Alegro, Mk1 VW Golf, Mk2 Vauxhall Viva, Vauxhall Chevette ( I had one), Austin Allegro rear view, Mini, Mk3 Ford Cortina (I had one), Datsun 120Y and I cant make out the last one.  

So you can't have been too far away today! :smile:  

Obviously it's the Culloden cairn, but who are they men? I would guess late 19th century and the closest I have seen to their appearance is in photos of Inverness taxi drivers of that era, so could it be a "taximen's holiday"?

On the other hand might it be a day out for some chinless wonder's servants or gamekepers?