IBM Transport

From the Ford Transit heading in the old Eastgate, Renault 9, Datsun, Morris 1800, Morris Marina van, Rover 2000, Daf 66 (I think), Morris Marina & Austin Maxi heading east. 

If I start on the car park I will miss the game on Sunday :ohmy: I note the large crane on the skyline CB might recall where that would have been!

From the Ford Transit heading in the old Eastgate, Renault 9, Datsun, Morris 1800, Morris Marina van, Rover 2000, Daf 66 (I think), Morris Marina & Austin Maxi heading east. 

If I start on the car park I will miss the game on Sunday :ohmy: I note the large crane on the skyline CB might recall where that would have been!

IBM that one has rather stumped me. I am taking the date to be late 70s/early 80s in view of the state of Eastgate and you may well be able to confirm or contradict this from the cars. Based on the length of its arm compared with the buildings below it, the crane looks as if it's relatively close to the camera - apparently on the east side of the river. (?)

I've taken a look at the relevant Google map and the crane would appear to be somewhere on the straight line between the photographer who is just out past the bottom of Stephen's Brae near where Mason's electrical shop was and the river at the bottom of Bank Lane (Courier office). That line therefore runs at an angle of maybe 20-30 degrees to Baron Taylor's Street and Bank Lane.

The problem is that I just can't think of any development that was ongoing in that area at that time. The old Caley Hotel and the Northern Meeting Rooms had long since been replaced (mid 60s).

As a result, all I can do is the counter-intuitive thing and conclude that the crane may indeed be on the west side of the river and perhaps engaged in building what is now Tesco Metro which may well have replaced Rossleigh's around that time. - But on the other hand the crane does seem a little too far to the right for that.

So, bottom line, I can't quite see a definitive answer!

Close IBM,   Think your ren 9 is an 11, your daf is a Triumph, and at the end of the queue is an old Skoda.

After another look you are right caley 100, I must have been in to much of a hurry before going to the semi-final.  I hope I have not got any others wrong :blink:

I took a look when I was down town on Saturday afternoon and it does look as if the crane might have been for building what started life as Lows and then became Tesco Metro, even if the crane maybe does look closer than that.

More time to look at it and thought it might have been Moray House on Bank Street which may have been built about the same time but the church spires of the Free North & St Columba High churches prove me wrong with that.  So I think you must be right.

Edited by IBM

More time to look at it and thought it might have been Moray House on Bank Street which may have been built about the same time but the church spires of the Free North & St Columba High churches prove me wrong with that.  So I think you must be right.

Yes, I think Moray House is maybe a bit too far to the North to be on that line from Eastgate. Clearly I have too much time on my hands but, with no relevant football on and out of sheer curiosity, on Saturday I took a wander about at the bottom of Bank Lane. The straight line from the point of origin does seem to continue across the river there and run through the Tesco Metro site.

Yes, I think Moray House is maybe a bit too far to the North to be on that line from Eastgate. Clearly I have too much time on my hands but, with no relevant football on and out of sheer curiosity, on Saturday I took a wander about at the bottom of Bank Lane. The straight line from the point of origin does seem to continue across the river there and run through the Tesco Metro site.

You have too much time to wander round town like that, I am sure the locals will start to wonder what you are looking at all the time :blink: you could always pick up litter on your way around the streets which would help the community!

You have too much time to wander round town like that, I am sure the locals will start to wonder what you are looking at all the time :blink: you could always pick up litter on your way around the streets which would help the community!

As long as I don't find myself included in the same category as former Town Centre wanderers such as Granville, Toich, Willie Bell and Forty Pockets I will hopefully be OK!

• Agree 1

Spotted in a drive near Hampden on Sunday a Ford Zepher 4

Does it have a dug in it that snarls at Hyacinth Bucket when she goes to visit her sister Daisy and Onslow? :smile:

Just took the photo from the street so didn't get that close!

But where was this ?

Is this Danny Alexander and David Cameron arriving at the Caley Hotel after they left Fort George? (see "The Dancing" #240)

Seriously though, this is a fairly well known photo of two posh boys outside the old Caledonian Hotel with their car in the (20s?)/30s (the Monster Bunnet era anyway). IBM will doubtless be able to specify the motor down to the last detail, but the photo has appeared in at least one of the Old Inverness books.

• Disagree 1

IBM

Can you get a photo of a Ford Prefect.

After my Dad traded the Austin 8 for a Ford Prefect I was impressed because it seemed to signal we were moving up a notch in society. 

Ours was light green. All I can remember was that it was cute little car and probably a bit more modern than the Austin 8 which had a gear shlft.    Maybe the Prefect has synchromesh by then.????