FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

World Cup Predictor ????

Scotty

Are you interested in a World Cup Prediction League ?  

112 members have voted

1. 1.

• YES
    • NO

I have come across a world cup predictor game that I can add to the site ..... it has all games in the World Cup and a bit like the current NPL that Gringo runs gives points for choosing W/L/D as well as points for HT / FT and bonuses for predicting exact result ...

Please vote in the poll if you are interested in getting this up and running as it will take a little code tweaking to make it work and I aint gonna bother if no-one is interested .....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - I think this has passed the 'taste test' .... It seems to work, although, I did have to enter 1 result to test it so have a 4 point lead on everyone .... that lead will be resolved when the actual result is entered as the table will be recalculated !!!

This is how it works .....

• Click on the 'World Cup Predictor' link on the left menu (will appear later)

• You will be taken to a screen that shows all the results and has a list of all games. (as mentioned above, game 1 has points issued already but that was for testing and will be automatically recalculated when the actual score is entered)

• There will be a menu on the right side that allows you to enter predictions, view results (default page you are looking at) and also view the prediction table. It will also show you the next game and the top 20 predictors.

• You DO NOT need to register, all users are automatically registered using their site login ID - you can take part or not, its up to you.

• To enter a prediction, click on the 'enter predictions' link and then on the team names of the game you want to predict. You may also alter predictions in here up until game time.

• Enter your half-time / full-time predictions.

• To view the leaderboard click on 'Prediction Table' - you should also be able to click on a user's name to view their predictions (but I havent fully tested that yet !)

• SCORING - You get 2 points for each part of your prediction that is correct and a bonus if you get the exact score. Points awarded as follows.

• Predict correct overall result regardless of score - W/L/D = 2 pts
    • Predict correct HT / FT goals for home team = 2 points for each part you get right
    • Predict correct HT / FT goals for away team = 2 points for each part you get right
    • Predict exact score - I can set this one of two ways - a fixed score of say 10 ... or my preference which is to base the score on how many predicted a result and how many got it right ..... I will let the users decide what they prefer (please comment below) ..... If its a set value, then you get 10 points for an exactly correct result however, if we want the potentially more exciting method then the points are shared out between those who get it right and multiplied by a 'factor' !! ... for example, if 100 people enter a prediction for this match and 25 get it right, the 25 'winners' would get (100/25)* 'factor'. We have set the factor to 5 so in this example that would mean all those who predicted the correct result would get (100/25)*5 or 20 points .... if only 10 people got it got it right, they would get 50 points, if only 1 person got it right, then they would get 500 points !!!
    • [*]Table generation - table generation is automatic. One of the admins will enter the scoreline from each match into the system and it will score it automatically. There is no restriction on changing your entries up to game time but the system will 'close' predictions when the game is ready to kick-off.

[*]As this is a prediction league for the World Cup, there may be updates to this module prior to the start of the competition - I will install any updated versions that are released until a few days before the start of the WC, so am telling all users this fact in advance just in case any of the updates cause any predictions to go astray or become corrupted. It will be the USER'S responsibility to check their own predictions before the WC kicks off to ensure that they are all recorded as desired.

• 4 weeks later...

OK - I think this has passed the 'taste test' .... It seems to work, although, I did have to enter 1 result to test it so have a 4 point lead on everyone .... that lead will be resolved when the actual result is entered as the table will be recalculated !!!

Think I already answered that above !! I had to enter a result to test it and after spending several hours hacking bits of code I was NOT going to uninstall and re-install it. The scores were RE-CALCULATED after today's game and if you view the leaderboard, then click on the part where it shows I have 4 points you will be able to see WHERE I got my 4 points. Its all very transparent and there is no way for me to cheat if that is what is being implied  >:(

yeah - there is a 'bonus' scheme for getting the overall score correct .... was not sure how it would work out as the documentation wasnt the best for this program but basically, its based on the number of predictions ... the more people who predict correctly, the lower the bonus

OK - The 'points based on number of predictions' is NOT going to work - it is counting ALL registered members whether playing or not ...... because of this I have disabled that option and reconfigured the scoring

Apologies for this, but we could only do limited testing and were kinda in the dark until the games actually started.....

Here is how it scores now

Correct HT (H) = 5 points

Correct HT (A) = 5 points

Correct FT (H) = 5 points

Correct FT (A) = 5 points

Correct overall Goal Difference = 5 points

Correct W/L/D prediction = 10 points

Correct Score = 25 points

Guest ictdave

I forgot to predict scores for the france game  :008:

I came on at 4.58 and thought just in time but it wouldnt let me predict the score.  As its only just after 5 will u take my predictions on here.  If so my prdictions are

H/t france 2 Switzerland 1

F/t france 3 switzerland 1

Thanks

OK THEN..........I predict a no score draw Scotty.
so long as you enter it into the predictor at least 1 minute before kick-off that will be no problem  :004: - The predictor doesnt do 0-0 if you forget to predict  :011: