FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The many changes in Queensgate

Glen Mhor

Just about the only two unchanging locations on Queensgate are the Post Office and Duncan Frasers. Over the years there have been so many shops and businesses which have come and gone. Duncan Duffy the travel agent, the Clydesdale Bank which became Hayden's, Campbells the ironmongers, Imperial Typewriters, Shand & Lindsay which became the Britannia Building Society ( now long gone from Sneck ), Queensgate Electrical.

Anyone recall more ?

Wilsons the chemist

You're a mere youngster! Before Ronnie Wilson had it, this Chemist was "T.S. Davidson (Successor to WJ Bethune)". Really nice old man Tom Davidson was. He lived in Broadstone Park and ran a great old fashioned Chemist's shop with the chemical jars with Latin labels lined up round the place.

I just remember the old PO and next door to Bill Fraser the butcher there was a cafe... the Queensgate Snackbar? which when I was little I used to call the Queensgate Talbot because there was a Sunbeam Talbot parked outside one day.

Anyone remember when Scoobies was manager of the licensed grocer's just along the street from Davidson's?