Scotty

Sounds like the boys dug in and got a hard fought draw. Must admit I feared the worst when we went 2 - 1 down. Glad they kept going and got the equaliser. Hope they enjoyed their pizza afterwards.:cheer01:

Here's to the replay which I am hopeful for a good result. Will also let Josh come home for one night.:ictscarf:

We did really well in the first half and were the better team. We could have had a couple more, although in fairness we could also have conceded a couple. For example, just before half time, Oakley had a great chance but could not take it.

The second half was bossed by Dundee until after their second, and we were probably lucky to stay in it. Ridgers had several decent stops.

The guys dug deep and played their way back in to it, and got a deserved equaliser with Oakley capitalising on a defensive mix up. We came close a couple of times before then, particularly a Bell header that the keeper saved well, and a Polworth shot.

A great celebration from the team at that goal, and they seemed delighted with the noisy support, from all 347 of us (according to the tannoy announcer).

We largely matched Dundee and can hopefully win the replay a week on Tuesday.

Well done one and all, and I hope Trafford recovers quickly after what seemed a bad one.

Edited by Robert

6 hours ago, Robert said:

I’m at the game. Polworth not amongst the subs. Young MacKay there in his place. Injury? 

Sorry about the misinformation. I did not see him in the warm up but Daniel Mackay was out warming up so assumed there had been a late change. I assume he was being protected before the game due to his illness.

• Funny 1

18 minutes ago, Robert said:

Sorry about the misinformation. I did not see him in the warm up but Daniel Mackay was out warming up so assumed there had been a late change. I assume he was being protected before the game due to his illness.

Should have gone to Specsavers. With your visual impairment I presume you are a referee?:crazy:

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, Robert said:

We did really well in the first half and were the better team. We could have had a couple more, although in fairness we could also have conceded a couple. For example, just before half time, Oakley had a great chance but could not take it.

The second half was bossed by Dundee until after their second, and we were probably lucky to stay in it. Ridgers had several decent stops.

The guys dug deep and played their way back in to it, and got a deserved equaliser with Oakley capitalising on a defensive mix up. We came close a couple of times before then, particularly a Bell header that the keeper saved well, and a Polworth shot.

A great celebration from the team at that goal, and they seemed delighted with the noisy support, from all 347 of us (according to the tannoy announcer).

We largely matched Dundee and can hopefully win the replay a week on Tuesday.

Well done one and all, and I hope Trafford recovers quickly after what seemed a bad one.

Can't disagree with your comments and it was a real team performance with plenty of fight shown to get us back into the  game.  At no time did we look a team from a lower league.  Difficult to choose a man of the match as a number of players put in strong performances

Ridgers - made important saves and couldn't be faulted with the goals

McKay - great blocks and tackles

Donaldson - strolled through the game and could have had a copy of the Courier in his back pocket. Soft booking

Calder - didn't put a foot wrong. Soft booking

Doran - lasted 90 minutes and never stopped

Oakley - never stopped and caused endless problems. A deserved goal

Bell - ran himself into the ground and was thwarted by a superb save from a header

Mt Finnie ( the referee) made some baffling decisions and wasn't helped out by his assistants.  Two soft bookings for Donaldson and Calder when similar offences by Dundee players weren't treated in the same way  on a positive note after Vigurs had been deservedly booked he was mouthing off and Finnie had the common sense to go over to Gary Warren  to tell him to pipe down. After that Vigurs kept quiet but had a poor game by his standards.

• Agree 1

Interesting start to the day with our selection, Trafford and Doran in for Polworth and Mulraney. Not sure why Polworth was dropped, maybe we expected to need to defend more in the centre of the park. Notwithstanding the changes, we started pretty well, moving the ball around and getting into good positions to get the ball into the box while not creating a great deal. Around the 15th minute we opened the scoring when a long throw on the right by Brad Mckay found its way to Doran, who fired home. From what I could see it was a bit of a defensive mix up from Dundee but a good finish from Doran, who had a great game.

Following this, Dundee really took control though and dominated most of the rest of the half. They dominated midfield, with Trafford giving the ball away on a lot and Vigurs unable to really assert any control. Dundee carved out three fantastic chances in this period - one was blocked by a great tackle from Mckay, the other saved by Ridgers and the third headed into the bar by Trafford on the line. When half time came we were really just happy to get in with our lead intact but we should’ve doubled it right in the half when Doran slipped Oakley right through in goal. He should’ve done better but I thought he took it too wide and his effort was saved.

It was good to get in at half time still ahead but that evaporated about a minute into the half -Dundee moved the ball well to the edge of th box and then the deflected shot beat Ridgers. A bit gutting but we came back well and a minute or so later Trafford crossed for Bell to force a fantastic save from theIr keeper, I’m stunned that he made it across to get a very well placed header. 

Dundee took the lead a few minutes later when Vigurs had a pass intercepted by O’Hara who ran it in and hit a low shot into the net. Vigurs has been dominating games in the Championship but the margin for error is less against better sides and he was punished for it.

We rallied after this and pushed forward again. Trafford was subbed after a bad head knock in an accidental collision and Polworth came on to and had a couple of decent efforts. We managed to equalise when Calder made some decent running on the left, his cross was knocked into the air and Oakley reacted first to stab it home. We managed to create one final chance when Doran was almost out free in literally the last second of the game but he couldn’t get a meaningful shot away.

For Dundee, I thought their midfield was excellent, O’Hara and Allen were influential and hurt us. The right back Kerr was also good. I thought Doran was our best player, he was threatening and popped up all over. We didn’t manage to establish dominance in midfield, Trafford didn’t do all that well and Vigurs, despite some good passes,, was a lot less in control than he is in the league and he got caught for the second Dundee goal. Donaldson was excellent again and Oakley took his goal well.

Edited by ictchris
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, ictchris said:

Not sure why Polworth was dropped, maybe we expected to need to defend more in the centre of the park. 

In his post-match interview, the manager seemed to suggest that Polworth had been unwell and wasn't going to figure at all, but insisted on coming on the bus and then seemed to manage to get himself a place on the bench.

10 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

A replay is a winner : 

1. To allow the club to win the match and progress upwards in this competition.....and.....

2.  It will bring in much needed revenue for the club because there should be a good crowd after that fine performance. :clapping: 

Sadly Scarlet, the replay will attract a very modest midweek crowd and will not generate significant revenue unless selected for live television.

Great result, well done guys. Annoying but typical that Sportscene only showed about 40 secs of highlights. They still managed to string out coverage and post match analysis of Celtic v Brechin to close on 30 minutes though.

• Agree 7

23 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Agreed!! The booking was incredibly soft too. It was like the ref was marking his card? 

I think the refs have his card marked before a ball is ever kicked based on past reputation/indiscretions  .... In the two games I saw when I was back in Inverness he showed decent maturity and got booked for nothing other than being pushed over in the QOS game ... he didnt even retaliate at that one and still got booked. 

19 minutes ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Pity Ian is a bit too hot headed, it seems, and too back-talkative to the ref by far.  Otherwise  the conspiracy theory could be cited again......:ohmy:

I think he gets a rough ride from the refs. Whilst he can be and has been hot headed, I saw him play with maturity and restraint while I was over. His sending off against Livi was BS and his booking against QOS was ridiculous.  

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Row S said:

Great result, well done guys. Annoying but typical that Sportscene only showed about 40 secs of highlights. They still managed to string out coverage and post match analysis of Celtic v Brechin to close on 30 minutes though.

Brora v East Fife got more than us

• Agree 1

We have gone from being thoroughly outplayed, thrashed and humiliated by Dunfermline at East End Park to matching a Premiership club and earning a well merited replay.

That is huge progress in just a few months. There is much work still to be done but, after two years of steady decline, we are now on our way back.

It may take another season but we are definitely heading in the right direction.

• Agree 6

That's the second Premiership team I've seen us play this season and the second time we've made a good account of ourselves.  Calder again had a good game, while Doran looks like he's never been away.  There are a few things to work on though -

• Vigurs often takes three or four touches when he only needs one or two.  Now I can understand why he does it (to create space), but sometimes it's better just to keep the ball flowing and he doesn't get the time he gets in the Championship.
  • Brad Mckay defensively is good, but his crossing?  Good Lord.
  • John Baird couldn't finish a hot dog.

1 minute ago, Renegade said:

That's the second Premiership team I've seen us play this season and the second time we've made a good account of ourselves.  Calder again had a good game, while Doran looks like he's never been away.  There are a few things to work on though -

• Vigurs often takes three or four touches when he only needs one or two.  Now I can understand why he does it (to create space), but sometimes it's better just to keep the ball flowing and he doesn't get the time he gets in the Championship.
  • Brad Mckay defensively is good, but his crossing?  Good Lord.
  • John Baird couldn't finish a hot dog.

I see Brad Mckay as a CB with Coll Donaldson, rather than an RB - although he can play there, think he's a better CB.

Just wish John Baird's skill level was up there with the effort he puts in - he'd be excellent!

• Agree 1

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic