FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is the G-word racist?

caleykid1994

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That question was kinda answered on Boardroom Banter, i cant mind what one but the answer was.. it would cost to much and if we went back up they would need to be replaced. so its a no no no.

Heres the big qustion though

Since those seats went in, how many times has that West Stand been used? not more than twice on my recollection

I think the point of them is to tick the box for the amount of people TCS can hold, the thing is... if we remove them only to have to put them back would be a waste of already tight money.

But all joking aside this is a bit OTT. To be honest it's neither up nor down if you want to call as gypos or whatever, it's part of the banter of football and I'm sure 99.9999999% of County fans can take it just the same way as I'm sure 99.9999999% of Caley fans can take it when we respond with "I'll rather be a gypo than a tink". Should be intresting come Sunday if both songs get an sing song, could end up with more fans outside than inside the ground.

Roll on Sunday :002:

There wouldn't be a proble, if there was some common sense showed by the club and stewards.

Exactly. I once stood for a whole game at Kilmarnock and on the other hand have been told by a Dundee United steward twice during a game that I wasn't sitting on my seat in the correct fashion. The whole standing issue is a joke. You can stand before, stand at half time, stand when prompted by the club to celebrate/commerate something, but if you should jump up to celebrate a goal then the safety of the whole stadium is compromised. What bollocks. Go to Germany, where you can stand for a whole game with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other, without civilisation seemingly crumbling.

From the "abuse" point of view the club supporting newbies need to get out more.

Does not everybody support the club? I would have thought that in a time where the attendance is dropping that you would welcome any new fans, silly me!

NERD, why are you defending the gypo's. Its not like your team (ross County of course) dont say anything about us. We arent bullying your club... we are just having light friendly banter.

Mike Smith, is sticking up for you and your team so the least you can do is stay to you own lifeless forum.

If your not a county fan then.......... You seriously need to know the in's and out's of this evil man before you start backing him.

EDIT- removing the statement i made up regarding a mr smith having forml relationships with derek adams

I asume that you took the time to read all my posts? If not, where do you get the idea I am defending anyone? I have just pointed out that regardless of whether it is classed as banter or not, some chants can be perceived as being racist.

It is no different from the carry on over the famine song, just not on the same scale.

Edited by NERD

Does not everybody support the club? I would have thought that in a time where the attendance is dropping that you would welcome any new fans, silly me!

I support the manager and the team on the field. I don't support every decision made by those in charge.

Did Mike Smith get round to meeting with either the trust board or the fans who asked for a meeting yet?

Tonight I believe - unfortunately I can't be there, but there will be Trust representation

I'd urge every fan to belt out the gypsy songs on Sunday , to hell with Mike Smith and the pc brigade .

[/quote

Of course you are so correct - who cares if the club is fined - they have plenty money in the bank to fund this and new players etc now that we are in Div 1.

When we are at it maybe we could also make a stand on behalf of KKK as well.

We could keep going until someone complains and the fine is dished out and, of course, the club is made to play behind closed doors which will not affect our income in any way.

If you have faith in every one of the County fans I don't. It only takes one to officially complain and with this forum carrying all this info, it is difficult to suggest that the term is being used in ignorance, therefore the book will be thrown at ICT, the club.

There is a lot of songs that can be sung inferring the G word without it's use.

Be grown up and realise it is the Dingwall fans that can create the problem not any of the ICT team, be they Stewards, Directors or indeed the villain of the peace, Mike Smith.

I'd urge every fan to belt out the gypsy songs on Sunday , to hell with Mike Smith and the pc brigade .

Did Mike Smith get round to meeting with either the trust board or the fans who asked for a meeting yet?

I believe the meeting took place tonight and have just received the following email which I have been asked to post by the club's safety officer (not Mike Smith):

Caley Thistle general manager Mike Smith said: "We do not wish to magnify this issue, but complaints were received about abusive chanting in the last game with Ross County which included reference to 'gypsies'.

Having discussed the matter at length with the Police who have responsibility for enforcing the law covering racist and sectarian matters, we took the opportunity at our last game of talking to the young fans involved, to warn them of the potential issues involved. We are aware of previous incidents where young fans have found themselves in trouble with the law, and as we believe that prevention is the best course of action, we would hate for any young person to unwittingly find themselves in breach of the law in these circumstances.

We and the Police met with representatives of the young fans this evening to make them fully aware of the issues involved. Caley Thistle is proud of the good reputation that our fans have and we fully understand that chanting and singing is part of the football tradition, but fans need to be aware that it must be done within the law. Obviously, action on any issues at Sunday?s game will be a matter for the Police.

Its not 100% clear (perhaps someone at the meeting can unspin it a bit) but I take it from that statement that the word "gypsy" in relation to "banter" with County or their fans is to be deemed racist in the same way as it could genuinely be regarded as racist when applied to someone such as Marius Niculae. Tread carefully folks, someone could be made an example of !!!

I believe the meeting took place tonight and have just received the following email which I have been asked to post by the club's safety officer (not Mike Smith):

Caley Thistle general manager Mike Smith said: "We do not wish to magnify this issue, but complaints were received about abusive chanting in the last game with Ross County which included reference to 'gypsies'.

Having discussed the matter at length with the Police who have responsibility for enforcing the law covering racist and sectarian matters, we took the opportunity at our last game of talking to the young fans involved, to warn them of the potential issues involved. We are aware of previous incidents where young fans have found themselves in trouble with the law, and as we believe that prevention is the best course of action, we would hate for any young person to unwittingly find themselves in breach of the law in these circumstances.

We and the Police met with representatives of the young fans this evening to make them fully aware of the issues involved. Caley Thistle is proud of the good reputation that our fans have and we fully understand that chanting and singing is part of the football tradition, but fans need to be aware that it must be done within the law. Obviously, action on any issues at Sunday?s game will be a matter for the Police.

Its not 100% clear (perhaps someone at the meeting can unspin it a bit) but I take it from that statement that the word "gypsy" in relation to "banter" with County or their fans is to be deemed racist in the same way as it could genuinely be regarded as racist when applied to someone such as Marius Niculae. Tread carefully folks, someone could be made an example of !!!

You are having a laugh! Well congratulations Mike Smith the vocal support of the club is now dead

Well that clarifies things then. A gobfull of spin (not even from the main protagonist) followed by a vieled threat of action from the polis who are fortuitously independent of the club. I am glad that there is an "understanding of football tradition" when there is patently none. If there was, you would see that this is nothing but parochial regional banter.

I presume that the "safety officer" hides behid the same anonymity as those "official complainants" It's football. We like it, it's why we pay good money to go. If you don't like it, with the greatest of all due respect, f**k off somewhelse that you do like, Mike.

If you were at the meeting please post. Would be interested to know what actually was said instead of the sanitised version the club appears to have put out. Seems no one has a sense of humour anymore. Would have thougth the police would have had better things to do.

Actuall it was ICT "fans" in the middle of the North Stand that complained. There hasnt been anything heard from County on the matter

Says it all really. There are some folk in the ICT support seem to have had a sanity bypass. This is banter, it has always been banter. Have a look at the County Fans Forum and you'll see they call ICT "the Dump" and all sorts of other names. Am I offended? No. It's just banter. Will some of these sad lonely complainers be offened? Probably. And as for that bizarre rambling reply, pretty typical of ICT to be honest. They don't understand what it is like to support this club, and they don't care about us, they only compare about their bank balance and their fellow black suit wearing business collegues.

Setting aside the rights and wrongs of the use of the "g" word, my message would be this - please be careful people. If you get lifted and charged for saying something deemed inappropriate on Sunday it could have adverse life changing effects. That may sound a bit melodramatic but, from working with the Supporters Trust in recent times, I have seen and know it to be true.

So................reading between the lines, and trying to clear the muddied waters, has anything been resolved.

It appears to me that anyone mentioning the G word will be lifted............right.

I for one will be giving this game a miss, mainly due to ICT jobsworthism.

Stop teasing me.................come on, is this some kind of wind up, a sort of childish prank, playground bullying, like teenage anarchy, or just the world gone mad.

Who the ferk gives a hoot about the word gypsy, in all honesty it's only a word. Is there a curse from the peg sellers, did nobody buy the lucky white heather, what the feckk is going on. The national press will be knocking on the door shortly I fear.

Oh strewth, I worry about the world these days.