FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is the G-word racist?

caleykid1994

Well?

Section G were hammered today by the club and security following our last home game against Ross County. Apparently the G-word has now been deemed racist. We were all warned today that if anyone was caught saying it, it was an immediate arrest and stadium ban.

Also us on the back rows arent allowed to stand up during the game. i can see the point in that we have paid for seats and should sit but its the back row and who on earth is going to lose their viewing from that???

It has taken 15 years for the stadium(ie. north stand) to gain a half decent atmosphere and in the space of 10 minutes today the club killed it.

any thoughts people?

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well?

Section G were hammered today by the club and security following our last home game against Ross County. Apparently the G-word has now been deemed racist. We were all warned today that if anyone was caught saying it, it was an immediate arrest and stadium ban.

Also us on the back rows arent allowed to stand up during the game. i can see the point in that we have paid for seats and should sit but its the back row and who on earth is going to lose their viewing from that???

It has taken 15 years for the stadium(ie. north stand) to gain a half decent atmosphere and in the space of 10 minutes today the club killed it.

any thoughts people?

FFS what is it with these people? What should we call them if not the G word? Are we all so PC nowadays?

Feck it, sue me if you want, I don't care.

Ginger minger! Carrot top, ginger nut, rusty, Ging'r.

Well?

any thoughts people?

FFS what is it with these people? What should we call them if not the G word? Are we all so PC nowadays?

Feck it, sue me if you want, I don't care.

Ginger minger! Carrot top, ginger nut, rusty, Ging'r.

It was an utter joke today. a couple of the lads were trying to get a meeting with someone on the board after the game and i dont know if they did or not. but i can see trouble flaring up next sunday if this isnt settled by then.

I assume you're referring to the word "Gypsy"?

Myself and a couple of other Supporters Trust Board members met with the club regarding this matter earlier in the week and I would be very interested in hearing exactly what happened today.

Could those involved PM me and give me a clearer explanation of who said what to you today?

The club are in a difficult situation on this one as, they have received official compaints following the last county game for some of the chants. This means the club are being investigated and could be facing a large fine.

Im not saying that anyone at the club think the G word is racist but somebody in the SFA does so whats the club meant to do, ignore it and be fined or do something and avoid the fine?

Its a rediculous situation for the club to be in especially over chants that have been going on forever.

But, on top of the Gypsie racist claim there has been other claims of racist behaviour towards Lionel by our supporters!

The whole situation is stupid but thats just the way it seems to be these days.

The club are in a difficult situation on this one as, they have received official compaints following the last county game for some of the chants. This means the club are being investigated and could be facing a large fine.

Im not saying that anyone at the club think the G word is racist but somebody in the SFA does so whats the club meant to do, ignore it and be fined or do something and avoid the fine?

Its a rediculous situation for the club to be in especially over chants that have been going on forever.

But, on top of the Gypsie racist claim there has been other claims of racist behaviour towards Lionel by our supporters!

The whole situation is stupid but thats just the way it seems to be these days.

What the club and the SFA needs to do is, grow a backbone and tell the moaning PC brigade to get a life, and if they go to a game of football, especially a local derby game, expect both sets of fans to sing songs, shout chants that will not be particularly complimentary about each other.

These idiots( can I call someone lacking in sense that?) who want to censor or ban anything that might offend away supporters, ie chants, songs, music etc, to me, they are offending every ICT fan. The people they are offending are the people that pay their season tickets, pay at the gate for home gates, pay for merchandise, these are the people they should be looking after. But yet again under the guise of the SFA/SFL rules they are on a power trip over the fans.

As for the alledged abuse at Lionel, I have never heard any at games I have been to. Perhaps he was being abused, but not for being black, but because he is not a very good player, and does tend to make a few mistakes during most games. Or are we now not allowed to voice an opinion on how black players play in case the PC brigade get up in arms.

Edited by Dewsburydude

If Lionel was racially abused then the person responsible should be banned for life.

It is not so long ago that certain individuals were calling for me to be banned for life for using that specific g word. I did apologise to the individual I made the comment about as I could appreciate that there was a specific cultural reason for the offence to be taken - even though I didnt agree with the context.

The world is going politically mad - it is a traditional, long standing wind up fer fecks sake.

Will the stop us from calling players names like Golly or Brownie or Blackie. Lets just hope that we dont ever sign anybody called Golly Gypsy.

Yesterday about 25-30 mins before kick off there was a lady steward mouthing to the lads that they could not swear (fair enough there was kids and that and to be honest i think you'll find the lads did as asked) also to sit down, after some polite words it was agreed that they could stand up untill the whistle was blow for kick off, the lady then went on to ask all the boys up there to show her there tickets and a couple of lads were sent off to sit where they were alacated, the lady started to see the crack and did in the end see the good banter coming from the back rows, and to be honest fair play to her.. she did start off being really ****** and could have ended in tears, a couple of other things she said while telling the boys the dose and dont was to stop calling County, Gypos as it was seen in the eyes of "Mike Smith" I beleve as racist, which the lads took as light harted banter, but alas she was telling the truth and came back up to warn them to stop saynig the word, I beleve they changed it to Caravan Dwelling Traveling people but they couldnt get it in to a song!!

This was also the reason for the lads to sing the song, If you hate Mike Smith stand up.... If you hate Mike Smith Clap your hands a few times yesterday, its a wonder it wasnt picked up on...

we've waited year for the first competetive derby and the chance to wind up those from over the bridge, only to have the atmosphere well and truely killed off because of one word???

There is, IMO, no mallace intended in any of the songs we chat - just decent football related banta. I wonder if the club put a complaint over the bridge for the way their fans chat 'sheep hugging bankers' (or words to that effect)...

If this is true it is absolutely ridiculous.

If these people are so offended they have no place at a football match I'm afraid. I'm all for family sections and what not, anything to encourage kids and extra folk along, but if this nanny state culture is what the by-product is then the very essence of football supporting is changing too much for my liking. Political correctness really is the greatest scourge of modern society, Mary Whitehouse has a lot to answer for!

Who complained? Is this a personal opinion of Mike Smith or has the SFA/SFL told ICT to clamp down? We're not exactly the loudest or most passionate set of supporters in the country anyway so can't imagine the crowd behaviour at TCS is an issue at Hampden for anyone.

it was absolutely ridiculous yesterday. one day the guys will stop going to the home games and then what?? the clun need to wake up and realise that they dont go there to cause trouble, they go there to support thier team. Sure it does not help when he team play absolutle cr*p football. Its no use constantly complaining on here about it because lets be honest, nothing will get done about it unless a board member actually came into the section and seen what it is like for themselves. I know that security guards are only following orders from above when they come up and warn them to sit down, ye can see that they get frustrated. In regards to the swearing, i know that section g is next to the family stand but lets be honest here, how many people actually expect to go to a game and not hear any swearing, especially when the team are as bad as they are now?? Yes ok you could say that we should be getting behind the team but as i have said it is hard.

The board really need to realise that they are not trouble makers as has been suggested but fans who only want to support thier team.

Yeah I heard it her say that, absolute joke of a support if these people believe banter between fans is unacceptable. I will be making sure that I write a letter over the bridge to ensure they don't sing songs about us when we go over in November, as I don't want people standing next to me to feel like they are getting picked on.

It is a shambles, and a joke!! To be honest im proper pissed of that ive bought my season ticket, I bought if for the banter from section G, and if it gets clamped down on, im stuck as my seats already paid for, but honestly the guys yesterday apart from the old passion getting the better didnt sing many if at all songs that had swears in them, i think they should get a pat of the back for doing that..