FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Against All Odds- Online edition

BornCaley

On January 7th 2011; i posted a thread on the "For Sale" section looking for a copy of this book. It was obvious that it wasnt availiable anymore, so ended my 10 year search for it. However through discussions with Scotty, Caley D & the author Charles Bannerman; we discussed an online edition that could be downloaded. Well today i have my copy to read as its available on the Homepage.

A big thanks to all involved ( Scotty, Caley D, Charles Bannerman and anyone else) in making this happen. Its amazing what we can achieve by simple discussions!

you have made this ICT fan very happy!

• Agree 1

add pullmyfinger to that list .... he was involved too !

Glad you are happy .... and glad Charles is happy too as he finally got to write that extra chapter.

On January 7th 2011; i posted a thread on the "For Sale" section looking for a copy of this book. It was obvious that it wasnt availiable anymore, so ended my 10 year search for it. However through discussions with Scotty, Caley D & the author Charles Bannerman; we discussed an online edition that could be downloaded. Well today i have my copy to read as its available on the Homepage.

A big thanks to all involved ( Scotty, Caley D, Charles Bannerman and anyone else) in making this happen. Its amazing what we can achieve by simple discussions!

you have made this ICT fan very happy!

Dowloaded it as well, looking forward to reading it, great work to those involved in making it available :twothumbsup:

I knew there was someone else involved, so happy to extend my thanks to Pull My Finger!

I just pushed a few buttons, thanks to Charles, Scotty, Don & the club we can all get to read it. Ver interesting it is too. I didn't realise there weren't that many Thistle fans. :tongueincheek:

We don't, and never have, celebrated our roots as a club....and that's kinda sad because we have not one, but two, rich and proud histories that date back long before 1994.

So, the important thing as far as I am concerned, is that story is now readily available to all...especially to each and every new generation that comes through the ranks.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I would just like to take this opportunity also to extend my thanks to all involved in this project.

And that must start with Born Caley! After all if he hadn't instigated the initial discussion by enquiring about a copy, this would never have happened. I was literally posting on the thread he had started when I had the "Eureka moment" idea that if CTO were prepared to host it and if I wrote the extra chapter which I'd always regretted never having included, then all we would need would be for the book to be scanned and we were in business. That was on July 16th which was less than 8 weeks ago so things have moved on fast.

I would therefore specifically also want to thank -

* Scotty and Caley D, CTO's co-publishers, for their huge cooperation and very prompt and efficient efforts in firstly agreeing to host the book and then getting it on here so quickly once the material became available.

* Alex Main without whose "Caley All The Way" centenary book it would have been much harder to write the additional chapter.

* What I understand to be various collaborators in Thistle's centenary booklet "The Hub of the Hill" which was just as useful.

* Pull My Finger who keeps trying to talk down his input but believe you me, the scanning was absoultely vital.

* The other copyright holders - photographers Trevor Martin, Gordon Gillespie and Ken MacPherson and the club through Kenny Cameron - for agreeing to the republication.

So there we have it - the tale of how ICT was formed plus a bit more on the earler pre history, all free of charge and available indefinitely on Caleythistleonline!

So a week Friday night - September 9th, the 18th anniversary of the "Two Vital Votes" which turned what had been an INE pipe dream into potential reality - I will raise my glass just a little bit higher than usual to the club that made it into existence - Against All Odds.

• Agree 6

Earlier this year, i too enquired about the books availability. i rather cheekily e-mailed Mr Bannerman regarding any copies. Little did i realise he must have been totally p****d off with such requests Fast forward to today and hurrah..... I can now get up to speed with the "saga". A huge thank you to all involved. It really is much appreciated. :twothumbsup:

In my opinion "Against all odds" always seemed a strange title to me, more fitting would have been "Pro-merger Propaganda"

Again IMO a very one sided view of the merger written by a self-confessed pro-merger author, wouldn't it have been great had the Caley and Thistle fanzine guys got together to give their sides of the story, at least then we could have both sides to mull over???

Anyway I'm off to download the new chapter lets hope theres not too many spelling mistakes

dougal

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

In my opinion "Against all odds" always seemed a strange title to me, more fitting would have been "Pro-merger Propaganda"

Again IMO a very one sided view of the merger written by a self-confessed pro-merger author, wouldn't it have been great had the Caley and Thistle fanzine guys got together to give their sides of the story, at least then we could have both sides to mull over???

Anyway I'm off to download the new chapter lets hope theres not too many spelling mistakes

dougal

Yawn.

See if you can find a different drum while you are online, this one is wearing a bit thin now . . .

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

dougal

Yawn.

See if you can find a different drum while you are online, this one is wearing a bit thin now . . .

Will people please stop quoting him? It bypasses the ignore function, thanks. :thumbup:

dougal

Actually a decent point and I am sure Mr Bannerman would be confident enough to stand his version against conflicting viewpoints. Or maybe the "refuseniks" should go ahead and write their version.

If only there were one who visited this site...

Edited by CaleyD
Correcting quote brackets
  • Agree 1