ICT v Liverpool

Yngwie

The excitement over Liverpool visiting Hearts tonight reminded me of the game exactly 4 years ago when they sent their finest (well, finest youth players) up for Barry Wilson's testimonial and were sent homeward with a 5-0 thrashing. I'm sure people have fond memories of that night.

ICT were:

Fraser (Esson 46), Proctor, Duff, Mann (McGuire 37), Djebi-Zadi, Wilson (Wagaluka 78), Cowie (Black 46, Gillespie 80), McBain (Imrie 46, Sutherland 80), Sheerin (Vigurs 33), Ritchie (McAllister 20, Rooney 60), Bingham (Wood 20, Barrowman 60)

Dan Wagaluka was a nippy Ugandan winger who was on trial at the time.

At Tynecastle the other day someone suggested that David Raven might have been in that Liverpool team, but a quick bit of research reveals that he had moved on to Carlisle by then.

Liverpool were:

Bouzanis, Kelly (Mendy 45), Darby (Scott 60), San Jose, Huth (Ayala 45), Spearing (Irwin 60), Flynn ©, Crowther (Lindfield 45), Pacheco (Simon 45), Brouwer, Weijl (Eccleston 45)

Not many of them seem have progressed to the first team, but Jay Spearing has done very well, Daniel Ayala got some games and Ronald Huth has been capped by Paraguay. I don't recognise many of the other names but I'm sure others will.

Our scorers that night were : McBain (44), OG - San Jose (45), Wood (47), McAllister (59), Proctor (82).

Spearing is overrated and has done little when given the chance.

Martin Kelly has probably progressed the best. Still think he could establish himself as a regular in the team. Seen Pacheco a few times. Looks to have some talent about him but managers never seem to give him a chance. San Jose is a regular for Bilbao in La Liga now.

You are not going to believe this but I was at that match in August 2008.

I remember it well--Caley seemed to be running riot over these young lads.And it rea;lly was a night to remember

The talk in the air was that their Manager (Coach?) was so upset that he was going to fine each of their players 300 pounds or some such sum of money. In fact the game was so one-sided that there was also some scepticism about whether or not their team effort was as genuinely poor as it turned out to be. i..e. It was a Testimonial for a well-thought of player, Barry, and one could not help wondering if a thumping score might have been arranged between the coaches so that the good crowd went away really happy.

I have no idea what the real situation was but a 5-0 drubbing like that is unlikely to be easily forgotten by the team Liverpool sent up and by the very jubilant crowd at the end also. It was almost like a carnival feeling by the end of the match. :cheer01:

Off the top of my head Martin Kelly, Dani Pacheco, Jay Spearing and Nathan Eccleston are still at Anfield and have all progressed to play for the first team with Kelly also becoming a full Engerland International.

Dean Bouzanis, the goalkeeper, had an absolute howler that night if I remember right!