FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Season attendances

Govan Jaggie

Why does this Forum only have "like this" and no "boo" tick box. 

Well it used to have those red dots before they changed it to this "Like" system after some crybabies got upset!

I also know at least 40 ex jaggies who would never set foot in TCS and a lot more ex Howden Enders who think the same , contrary to what bannerman would have you believe .

(CUE THE HORLICKS MUSIC).... eeh lad... ah remember 't day when 15,000 Caley fans signed Buenos Hornell's petition against 't merger and 83% of nicked copies of 't Courier 'ad 't coupons filled in saying "nay lad"!

Seriously, though, I think we now have claims of more refuseniks than ever went to Telford Street or Kingsmills in the first place :lol:

However probably the most revealing statistic of the lot is that the most bitter year of the whole fraught affair - 1994 - saw the biggest ever percentage increase in attendance at matches.

When it was Thistle and Caley, typical combined home gates, which were in decline, came to about 600. Then the first season of Caley Thistle - despite Baltacha's uninspiring tactics - average attendance more than doubled to 1275, which of course has gone onward and generally upward ever since.

So in the face of all these alleged "boys at my work who don't go any more" (so what did they do instead - go off on holiday with Shergar and Lord Lucan?), crowds actually doubled in the first, controversial season of the new team.

The last 20 years to a large extent boil down to the following single sentence - As a result of two clubs joining forces, Inverness progressed from the Highland League to the top half of the SPL and attendances rose almost seven fold.

So quite frankly, if progress like that has been made, I don't actually give a flying toss about anyone who might have thrown the rattle out of the phone box and decided not to share in the magnificent experience. If 40 ex Jaggies and a few more Howden Enders have taken the hump, then that's a tiny price to pay. It's a wee bit like spending a pound to earn a hundred.

And I really wish the Flat Earth Society would stop banging on with their wishful thinking about numbers which simply don't add up by continually returning to this now tedious and redundant subject.

ICT is a top six SPL club - job largely done but progress still in process.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 2

All due respect Kingsmills, I know of atleast 10 people who were ex-Thistle fans who now follow C*unty, and there's plenty more who I don't know. One of them told me that "the idea of the merger wasn't a problem, it was the fact the new team would play in blue". So instead he went to County who play in NAVY BLUE! TIT!!

Ross County are also a merger.  So are Elgin, Aberdeen and Motherwell.  In fact, Thistle were a kind of merger as well, incorporating a couple of clubs over the years (Crown and Inverness Union).

Edited by Renegade

Please let's not contaminate this thread by introducing the myth of ' ex Jaggies' or Caley rebels heading over the Kessock Firth in their hoards to swell the coffers at Ross County.

Anyway,there is no such thing as an ex Jaggie. Once a Jaggie always a Jaggie :smile:

All due respect Kingsmills, I know of atleast 10 people who were ex-Thistle fans who now follow C*unty, and there's plenty more who I don't know. One of them told me that "the idea of the merger wasn't a problem, it was the fact the new team would play in blue". So instead he went to County who play in NAVY BLUE! TIT!!

How do you know there's plenty more if you don't know them?

All due respect Kingsmills, I know of atleast 10 people who were ex-Thistle fans who now follow C*unty, and there's plenty more who I don't know.

How do you know there's plenty more if you don't know them?

:lol:  :lol:  Pure class!! The perfect answer! Or maybe Forza meets them at the annual congress of the Walter Mitty Society.

But is it not now time to set aside 20 year old fantasies and move on?

• Agree 1

I don't know plenty of people who don't know if they supported Caley or Thistle but now they don't know if they go to games in Inverness or Dingwall. But to be honest I don't know.

• Agree 2

I wonder how much the stadiums location accounts for lack of support. It would have been interesting to see attendances had the stadium been slap bang in the middle of a community.

As far as locals go, many ex Caley "fans", Many of whom never attended many games, if any...but since the merger, many many of these people, have changed allegience to Ross County. I see it all the time on my facebook. Like last weekend....the amount of Invernessians revelling in County beating ICT

• Agree 1

I wonder how much the stadiums location accounts for lack of support. It would have been interesting to see attendances had the stadium been slap bang in the middle of a community.

As far as locals go, many ex Caley "fans", Many of whom never attended many games, if any...but since the merger, many many of these people, have changed allegience to Ross County. I see it all the time on my facebook. Like last weekend....the amount of Invernessians revelling in County beating ICT

There we go, cast iron proof that Mr Bannerman is wrong about the number of refuseniks. I mean if someone lives in Inverness now, then it goes without saying that they must have followed, without necessarily attending, either Caledonian or Thistle 20 years ago mustn't they.

:sarcastic:

There we go, cast iron proof that Mr Bannerman is wrong about the number of refuseniks. I mean if someone lives in Inverness now, then it goes without saying that they must have followed, without necessarily attending, either Caledonian or Thistle 20 years ago mustn't they.

All im saying is, crowds SHOULD be a lot healthier than they are but the merger turned a hell of a lot more people OFF ICT than just those who attended games in the Old Highland League.

Caley Used to get BIGGER crowds in the Highland Leage (back in the day), when inverness was about 1/3rd of the population, than ICT gets in the SPL. Thats a FACT!!

All im saying is, crowds SHOULD be a lot healthier than they are but the merger turned a hell of a lot more people OFF ICT than just those who attended games in the Old Highland League.

Caley Used to get BIGGER crowds in the Highland Leage (back in the day), when inverness was about 1/3rd of the population, than ICT gets in the SPL. Thats a FACT!!

Fecks sake, in 'those' days there was feck all else to do in Inverness, and men did not go shopping or do anything with their families, to compare attendances now to 45 years ago is stupid.
  • Agree 3

Fecks sake, in 'those' days there was feck all else to do in Inverness, and men did not go shopping or do anything with their families, to compare attendances now to 45 years ago is stupid.

oh....is it only men who go to football?

I Know PLENTY of local men who dont go shopping, or do family things, or go to the pub nor the movies or nothing else, but they go to football on a saturday afternoon. Problem is, its not ICT they go to watch

I also know at least 40 ex jaggies who would never set foot in TCS and a lot more ex Howden Enders who think the same , contrary to what bannerman would have you believe .

(CUE THE HORLICKS MUSIC).... eeh lad... ah remember 't day when 15,000 Caley fans signed Buenos Hornell's petition against 't merger and 83% of nicked copies of 't Courier 'ad 't coupons filled in saying "nay lad"!

Seriously, though, I think we now have claims of more refuseniks than ever went to Telford Street or Kingsmills in the first place :lol:

However probably the most revealing statistic of the lot is that the most bitter year of the whole fraught affair - 1994 - saw the biggest ever percentage increase in attendance at matches.

When it was Thistle and Caley, typical combined home gates, which were in decline, came to about 600. Then the first season of Caley Thistle - despite Baltacha's uninspiring tactics - average attendance more than doubled to 1275, which of course has gone onward and generally upward ever since.

So in the face of all these alleged "boys at my work who don't go any more" (so what did they do instead - go off on holiday with Shergar and Lord Lucan?), crowds actually doubled in the first, controversial season of the new team.

The last 20 years to a large extent boil down to the following single sentence - As a result of two clubs joining forces, Inverness progressed from the Highland League to the top half of the SPL and attendances rose almost seven fold.

So quite frankly, if progress like that has been made, I don't actually give a flying toss about anyone who might have thrown the rattle out of the phone box and decided not to share in the magnificent experience. If 40 ex Jaggies and a few more Howden Enders have taken the hump, then that's a tiny price to pay. It's a wee bit like spending a pound to earn a hundred.

And I really wish the Flat Earth Society would stop banging on with their wishful thinking about numbers which simply don't add up by continually returning to this now tedious and redundant subject.

ICT is a top six SPL club - job largely done but progress still in process.

and that immediate increase in attendance notwithstanding the fact that gate prices in the Third Division were twice what they had been in the Highland League.

Jeez... 45-50 years ago when attendances at Highland league games were at their highest, men went to football matches, women stayed at home and looked after kids, it was the done thing - i know i was a kid then.

The present era gives families plenty of other things to do apart from football, the fans who have migrated across the water to watch our country cousins are floating fans who may find other things do apart from attending football matches involving ICT or Cownty, what i am saying is that they are not committed to either of us.

And as seen on a recent post our attendances are up despite quite a few friday/early sat/sunday kickoffs, its not us but football as a whole.

Jeez... 45-50 years ago when attendances at Highland league games were at their highest, men went to football matches, women stayed at home and looked after kids, it was the done thing - i know i was a kid then.

The present era gives families plenty of other things to do apart from football, the fans who have migrated across the water to watch our country cousins are floating fans who may find other things do apart from attending football matches involving ICT or Cownty, what i am saying is that they are not committed to either of us.

And as seen on a recent post our attendances are up despite quite a few friday/early sat/sunday kickoffs, its not us but football as a whole.

Not always! My mum, aunt and granny all attended Telford St in the 50s. Woman did attend apparently but not in the numbers we see now. Certainly wasnt a family activity like we see today either.

Not always! My mum, aunt and granny all attended Telford St in the 50s. Woman did attend apparently but not in the numbers we see now. Certainly wasnt a family activity like we see today either.

There was a link to a clip on here a while back, a game at Telford Street in the 50s/60s, and there were surprisingly high numbers of wummin there.

And a surprisingly low standard of football.

I was from Muir of Ord and when I went into p1 most of my mates were county or clach fans , I was caley

What was the link between muir Of Ord and Clach?

It makes me wonder now but I was caley with two of my mates and there was about 5-10 clach fans with the majority of the school supporting county and it became even more so when they got into the sfl

Regards Caley or Thistle supporters not coming to the New club,I used to watch Highland League football for years,either Lossie or Elgin and never ran with the so called Old Firm supporters or Aberdeen. So when this merger happened it was a new League club only thirty odd miles away,so I came along and liked what I saw. So how many of todays Caley Thistle supporters are like myself,would be interesting to find out. I also see that the North Stand is at its noisiest when all the young guys,who were probably all in primary school 20 years ago,so they don't give a toss for this Thistle/Caley thing

• Agree 1