FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Favourite Scottish Players

jagster

Davie Cooper (1956 - 1995)

Davie scored an outrageous and widely remembered goal against Celtic in the 1979 Drybrough Cup Final.  Davie received the ball on his chest with his back to goal on the edge of the box and seemingly nowhere to go.  Cooper flicked the ball in the air four times with his left foot taking him past four Celtic defenders before putting the ball in the net.  This goal was voted the greatest ever Rangers goal ever as voted by worldwide fans.

Davie Cooper is remembered as one of the most significant players in the histories of Clydebank, Rangers and Motherwell football clubs. In his eulogy to Cooper, the then Rangers manager, Walter Smith, said that "God gave Davie Cooper a talent. He would not be disappointed with how it was used."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davie_Cooper

Goal:

Goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRO6gyvoO_c...ted&search=

Having watched a number of Cooper goals what is clear is that the goal in the Dryborough Cup Final was not a one-off.  Where are the players today who can run the length of the pitch twisting and turning with the ball and not afraid to take on 4 or 5 players.  Sadly in today's game it is an art that only a few seem to have either the confidence or skill to manage.  Would love to see somebody like that at Caledonian Stadium (preferably in the home team).

I never mentioned Coop as I really took it to mean players who had made their mark for Scotland.

But Davie Cooper was possibly the best club player I ever saw, as I only saw Dalglish with Celtic and he was still a youngster when they sold him on. I saw Cooper with Clydebank, the huns and Motherwell and he was absolute class, maybe even a better player for the huns ahead of Laudrup in ability if a bit lazy. I was at the Drybrough Cup Final and have ithe goal on a tape somewhere (Saint & Greavsie!). Legend has it that a Tim took the footage but just had to share it with others. Back then Rangers were a very physical side and the Tims liked to think they had the monopoly on skill.

I would say the all-time best player I ever saw was Johann Cruyff, ahead of Beckenbauer, Muller, Maier, Neeskens, Bryan Robson, Jimmy Johnstone, Willie Henderson, and rakes of others.

• 2 weeks later...

Johann Cruyff--when he latterly went to the Vancouver Whitecaps he was a lazy sod-- couldn't run, meandered about the park looking as if he felt he did not have to do too much at all. Brought in to share his "class" he epitomised a player past his best  who was coasting on a big paypacket. Oh well ,the Whitecaps did win the North American soccer league but whether Cruyff was on the team I cannot remember.

I do remember Pat Stanton of the Hibs--his striding demeanour epitomised control and desire. And I think it was Eddie Turbull's 45 yard rocket that totally sunk Kaiserslautern at Easter Road and a goal I will never forget--Hibs won 4-0 that night. They just seemed to own the park and the German side were eventually demoralised.

Willie Johnston played at the end of his career for the Vancouver Whitecaps on the left wing  producing another unforgettable moment in Scarlet's memory bank. The Whitecaps got a corner near the end of the game. Willie heard someone say something to him in the crowd, turned round and quickly accepted the beer bottle from the fan, took an almighty swig ..took the corner and...... SCORED! There was a moment's silence when you could have heard a pin drop and then a crescendo of laughter and noise.

Aye! :021:

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

The best Scotland players I've seen were John Collins, Colin Hendry and Eoin Jess. IMHO the Euro 96 team was brilliant.

Joe Jordan for me.

It's always been Scotland first for me, and I was lucky enough to be able to remember the World Cups from '74 onwards and as far as I'm concerned big Joe was my outstanding memory from those days.

Absolute legend !