FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Favourite Scottish Players

jagster

Of my era it would have to be Andy Goram... basically because he was the only player that could compete with any other, in their favoured position, across the world.

to be fair, I haven't had a lot to choose from... John Collins because he scored against Brazil maybe

Nowadays McFadden or Fletcher

Andy Goram probably the best goalie we ever had. I remember Stuart Kennedy  letting in 5

against England!!

David Harvey of Leeds Utd was a reliable Scottish Keeper

Of course there was always Alan Rough with the dodgy perm :015:

I used to go to Scotland games quite frequently and think some of the best I have seen have been the likes of the following .... Davie Cooper & Kenny Dalglish for their consumate skills, Roy Aitken for his determination and leadership rather than skill, Andy Goram and Jim Leighton who were both great keepers, and the defensive trio of McLeish, Miller and Leighton which was something else.

From TV coverage I would have to say it was always good to watch the clips of the likes of Jinky, Bremner, Baxter, Law etc and even some of the more modern era players like Jordan, Souness, Hendry, McAllister

If I can pick only one player as my favourite then it would have to go to Kenny Dalglish - entertainer, highly skilled, 100+ caps, 31 goals and by now, probably a zero handicap on the golf course  :015:

Davie Cooper for me, had it all.... pace, dribbling skills, the ability to put in a telling cross.... but above all that was the shot he possessed......

Can anyone else mind a couple of goals he scored against Aberdeen in the late eighties from free kicks....Legend has it that Jim  Leighton couldn't even get close to the ball when it was on its way back out of the net...!!  :003: :003:

Back when these Predator boots came out, somebody was asking Davie Cooper if he was getting a pair, as they helped you bend the ball.

Cooper said 'What? If I wear these things the ball will be hitting me on the back of the heid!'

6 foot two, eye's of blue,big Joe Jordans after you.....ahhhh them were the days

and I thought it was Jim Holton.  Could have been either I suppose.

Dennis Law

Dave MacKay

Jimmy Johnstone

Jim Baxter

Peter Lorimer could fair hit a ball

Its rumoured that Lorimer's shots (or 'Thunderboots' as he was known to many Leeds fans) travelled (with deadly accuracy) at around 90 m.p.h. :010: :010: ...... By comparison, one of today's greats who is reputed to have fierce shooting power - Roberto Carlos - can manage only 72 m.p.h.  :012: :012:

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

Back when Ruud Ghullit was one of the best players in the world he was interviewed and asked who his favourite players had been. He said Kruyf, Beckenbaur and Davie Cooper. Amazing that he'd even heard of a Scottish player, let alone rated him as one of the all time greats. :010: