FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ready made Shinnie replacement

scottbamby

Right. I had a crazy thought whilst obviously being unable to get the thought of our great club out my head this weekend. I have an ideal replacement for Graeme Shinnie.

We need someone who can play on the left side, works his backside off, is comfortable on the ball, who can make an impact offensively and defensively effectively...

Haven't I just described Danny Williams?

• Agree 1

I think this is a good idea unless Yogi can pull off a masterstroke in the transfer market. Anyone know what Lionel Djebi-Zadi is doing these days?

Carl Tremarco has put in a decent shift when called upon - it's not easy to stay at match speed if you aren't getting regular games so he deserves a bit of slack for the odd mis-judgement.
Same goes for Devine - it's tough coming in as a defender - if a winger comes on for their first game in a while and blooters it into the stands, it's no big deal - one slip for a defender can be calamity.

• Agree 2

I was having a read of a Chester site recently to see what their fans made of him and most of them seemed to talk about him like he is a full-back, one of whom even expressed surprise that he'd been playing further forward for ICT as they described him more as a defender.  I certainly remember him being described as a wing-back when he signed.  He also played there in pre-season and a game last season as well, where I thought he looked very comfortable indeed.

Could he be the replacement for Shinnie?  He may well could be.

Edited by Renegade

I concur with the OP. Perhaps a bit early to write-off Tremarco, players can often grow into a role when given the opportunity. But I would prefer to go with Williams. Recall him playing there against Dundee United late on last season and having a great game. A back 4 of...

Meekings   Warren   Devine   Williams

...would probably be our strongest, both offensively and defensively. Raven has been class for us and will no doubt reclaim the position at some point, but I would be inclined to give Meekings a run based upon how well he's done there recently. Our form turned around at roughly the same time he was switched to right back, and Devine introduced at centre half.

Oh here I negatively go again. I think that it is just as important to have a number of decent squad players waiting in the wings. Again this was a big benefit this season.

I agree with the gentleman inhabiting the Howden End in the sky....

Oh here I negatively go again. I think that it is just as important to have a number of decent squad players waiting in the wings. Again this was a big benefit this season.

Nothing negative about that !............It has been paramount to our success this season with Yogi ensuring that the main core got good game time throughout,

On the subject of Shinnie...did anyone see the BBC pre match build up bit with Foran and Warren giving a lowdown on the team??

When it got to Shinnie it was 'by far the biggest nose at the club. You have to feel sorry for his kid having to look up at that every day'!!

His brother Andy didn't look to amused in the studio.

Edited by davieB

Carl Tremarco has put in a decent shift when called upon - it's not easy to stay at match speed if you aren't getting regular games so he deserves a bit of slack for the odd mis-judgement.

Same goes for Devine - it's tough coming in as a defender - if a winger comes on for their first game in a while and blooters it into the stands, it's no big deal - one slip for a defender can be calamity.

tremarco has proved no one will get past him even if he does mess up...not that we want to be playing with 10 men every week

Given the longer season forthcoming with our foray into Europe, a decent depth of squad is going to be very important - particularly when we're into the later Europa league group stages!

Tremarco for me...he put in a great shift on Saturday, until he stood on the ball!      It can happen to anyone...remember Stevie Gerrards slip last year against Chelsea.

If Watkins is going I see Williams being more influential furthur forward

What is Lewis Horner's best position? (Assuming he is staying, seems like he just got here.)

Officially, he's by trade a central midfielder.  He played at right back against Celtic though I thought he looked alright.  He's played centre-back quite a bit for the U20s this season and can also play up-front apparently.

I rate Williams highly and reckon he could play most positions. I'd actually give him a go in Watkins role. He's got loads of pace, good technique and can take a player on.

That'd leave Tremarco at lb, which I don't have any worries about. He's a good player, but he is prone to the odd near decapitation of an opponent at least once in a game.

• Agree 1