Blackie wants a free transfer?

Mee

I remember collecting a load of quotes by posters who wanted Black out saying he wasn't really that good anyway.

Shame I can't find it.

Ian Black is a great wee player and I wouldn't change a bit about his game. Sure it would be great if he got booked less but then he wouldn't be the player he is and I think he would be an inferior player for it if he were to "mellow out". I think he is maturing and we have seen that as players leave the boot in on him trying to provoke a reaction and he just gets on with it now.

His quality is evident as those at Tannadice while have noted when, 3 seconds after coming on, he set up our best chance to win the game.

Interesting to note that no one condemned Dargo for his actions on Saturday when he kicked the ball away from a St. Mirren player about to take a free kick or deliberately obstructing Broadfoot when he went to take a free kick, things that have seen outcry from our fans on this forum who then demand Black be sold. Perhaps he is an easy target for some I don't know.

Below is reproduced from daily Record from last november. I think Charlie hits it spot on as regards Blackie. Sort the attitude and the rest will fall into place. Ian also needs to realise that he is the employee and, as such, has to show some respect to his employers and colleagues. He cant just spit the dummy because he hasn't been picked for a couple of games.

Personally I admire his abilities and believe that he will come good in the game. I dont, however, believe he is naive enough to think that, with eighteen months of his contract to go, ICT would let him go for free.

28 November 2006

WE'LL HAVE TO HELP KID STAR CUT OUT THE BLACK CHAT TO REFS

Charlie Christie

EVERY footballer in the world gets into trouble with referees.For me, it's how you deal with it that is the important thing.

Ian Black is a fantastic performer for us but he is a young man SPL officials have got to know well over the past 18 months.

And the things is, he reminds me a lot of my good self.

In my playing career, I tended to fight my corner and always had something to say for myself if I was booked or the ref gave a decision against me. That was the wrong way to go about it.

Ian is the same and we have had a chat about that.

There is no way in the world I would take away from his competitiveness.

He is a player who gives his all and will put his foot into a tackle. I have no problem with that.

But Ian has to learn to change his body language when the ref is talking to him.

Too often he has landed himself in more trouble because he has spoken back or just looked as if he isn't listening.

That is something which needs to stop.

I did that and it was only through time I came to realise that while you can rarely, if ever, change a referee's mind, you can put forward your case in a polite manner.

Ian is only 21 and is still learning the game. I have to say I have seen a big change in him this season and he is getting into less trouble. He has not changed his game in that he will still get stuck in but you can do that without being booked all the time.

As a manager, you have the balancing act of wanting Ian to have that fire in his belly but at the same time need him to understand there is a time for him to keep his mouth shut.

I'm not the only manager who has to deal with this.

I'm sure everyone in Scotland is a fan of Scott Brown at Hibs who is a fine young player with a superb future in front of him.

He has been forced to change his game a bit because he was getting into too much bother but I bet John Collins does not want him to lose that devilment.

Ian is a superb footballer who has a fantastic range of passing and can read the game. He's been great for our club.

A draw with Hearts on Saturday was not a bad result at all. I do sometimes allow myself a wry smile when I hear folk complain about dropping points to the team who finished second last season.

Expectations are not quite through the roof in Inverness but they are getting there. I suppose we only have ourselves to blame. We have drawn too many matches this season, eight in total, but that was against the likes of Celtic, Hibs, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen twice. No disgrace.

Our aim at Inverness Caley Thistle was to consolidate our SPL status for three seasons. I don't think any of us could have predicted we would finish eighth and seventh in our first two.

So expectations are high and dropped points to Hearts are seen by some as a disappointment. Mind you, I suppose that's not too terrible a thing.

I had a little go at our lack of goals last week but while it was another blank score for us that was down to Craig Gordon.

Once again, the Hearts keeper had a blinder against us. Then again, he does that everywhere.

I have a lot of time for Craig as he is the best keeper in the country by a country mile. Sometimes you just have to accept he is one difficult goalie to beat.