FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Happy Yet?

Guest WynessLegend

I wasn't aware of the raft of posts you've had to remove. I would be really interested to know what the gist of these posts was.... :024:

I hesitate to post this in this thread as I may be taking it off topic myself (we can move it to its own thread if merited), but here goes ...... You were probably not aware of the moved posts because most of them were not made by you but were a case of others jumping on the "lets have a go at the moderators" bandwagon which really has to stop.

I accept that moderators will not get it right all the time, and neither will myself and/or Donald but at the end of the day, we have a mechanism in place and also a private message system available, so that anyone with a concern over the running of the site can raise this without clogging up perfectly good threads and taking them off-topic.

There is no suggestion of trying to moderate opinion or banter when it falls within the site rules, but when that opinion or banter drops a few notches and becomes abuse or a pop at moderators in a thread that has nothing to do with it then we will move or remove those posts. As I said above, the posts we moved or removed were off-topic posts and my "raised voice" - which was not intended to be viewed as being directed at any single poster - earlier in the thread was a response to this.

I have had quite a few private messages over the weekend regarding the moderation of users or threads and have responded to most of these privately, but one theme that seems to emerge from most of these messages is the idea that moderators or admin are here for the sole benefit of site users, and as "staff" should not be allowed to express an opinion or be afforded those same benefits that users themselves demand which is to be allowed to post their own opinions.

That is utter garbage !!! For 5 years when the site was official, my own opinion had to be stifled or sanitised to toe the "party line" as it were. The minute this site went back to being unofficial, every single person from admin to regular poster was given a **** of a lot more freedom to post what they wanted, when they wanted (within the rules we created). Take a look at how the BBC comment site has changed in the last two years, take a look at any clubs in the SPL with a club run forum (if you can find one), take a look at quite a few other public forums and you will find that we are a lot less draconian in our outlook than many. We take no pleasure in moderating anyone, we take no pleasure in having confrontations with posters who others have complained are abusive. We just want to talk about ICT the same as everybody else.

The people that come on here (with the exception of our opposition supporting visitors) are without doubt truly passionate about ICT. In a lot of cases, these people are living well outside the ICT catchment area and use this site to keep in touch as well as making long and convoluted journeys to go and watch the team. Because of all the turmoil of this season, and the fact that things behind the scenes seem to stink just a little bit, a lot of these passionate people are feeling quite "wounded" at the moment. One thing about wounded individuals (and animals) is that they tend to lash out, sometimes in directions where it is not deserved and in my eyes, this is what is happening.

All through this season we have seen portions of the forum descend from informed debate where everyone can have a viewpoint to a complete and utter slagfest where that anger is being directed at the wrong people or indeed where abuse is being handed out. Every thread seems to go from debate to argument to cyber fistfight in very short order and it cannot and will not be allowed to continue this way.

When the effort required to run this site by unpaid volunteers who give up time or pay money out of their own pockets to provide this service to other ICT fans becomes thoroughly unenjoyable because of the actions of a small minority then it is time to re-evaluate the whole thing.

We were forced to temporarily close down this site earlier in the year because of behaviour like this and although I have no intention of doing that again, it would not phase me in the slightest if we ended up with only 25 "quality" posters who could hold a decent, informed and intellectual debate with different viewpoints that can be agreed or disagreed with, rather than the current state where we have 200+ regular posters, the minority of whom seem intent on immediately hijacking threads and turning everything into yet another slagfest.

As to the thread question ... Happy Yet ? .... my answer remains the same ... no, not yet, but the signs after the last couple of games are encouraging. I hope I will be able to say a similar thing about the website after the next couple of games.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy?  Not yet.  The club has set its standards over the last 3 season and they may be punching above thier weight as we keep hearing but the standards have been set.  With that in mind the team has not been performing to that standard.  When we get back to that level I will be happy.  This does not include playing defensive football at home to St Mirren.  I am looking forward to Saturday as i do all games I am fortunate to get to and I actually think we have a decent chance.

Happy?  Not yet.  The club has set its standards over the last 3 season and they may be punching above thier weight as we keep hearing but the standards have been set.  With that in mind the team has not been performing to that standard.  When we get back to that level I will be happy.  This does not include playing defensive football at home to St Mirren.  I am looking forward to Saturday as i do all games I am fortunate to get to and I actually think we have a decent chance.

I was very happy with the manner in which we beat St Mirren...  :022:

In fact I was over the feckin moon....  We have gone from that result to an ever better one at Tannadice...

We've got some really interesting fixtures ahead.... How far can we go on this roll...?

• 3 weeks later...

I felt I just had to resurect this thread (in respect to the consistant negative opinions of some posters on this site). 5 wins out of 5 and it would appear that some 'fans' are still not happy. The way that we won the last 5 games is just football - ups and downs and the better team, in the long term, comes out on top.  5 out of 5 cannot be down to just good fortune. If you look hard enough, you'll find reasons to justify your theory on something (i.e., that ICT's recent winning spree is purely down to good fortune). Have you seem the film 'The Number 23'?

To quote an old mantra that used to be common on this board but is now a rarety, 'I BELIEVE'!

Hamish - you are quite right...

It astounds me that so many on here are still so critical of the team and/or individual players in the middle of a run consisting of 5 straight wins, which have included our first win over Celtic in the SPL..

Of course there is a reason for this unprecidented success and that reason is Mr Craig Brewster...

He is still learning his trade as a manager, but he has already demonstrated that he possesses considerable motivational skills... Several members of our team appear to have made the transition from merely good journeyman pros to very talented accomplished players under his guidance.

I am optimistic enough to see this as the beginning of ICT becoming a major player in the SPL... I sincerely hope the management will back Mr Brewster to the hilt, especially through the forthcoming window, which could determine just how far up the top six section of the table we finish..!!

In this business there is always room for improvement and if our manager gets the backing from the board he needs to strengthen the team in certain areas, the future of ICT is very promising indeed.

It astounds me that so many on here are still so critical of the team and/or individual players in the middle of a run consisting of 5 straight wins, which have included our first win over Celtic in the SPL..

Me too. Just unbelievable! Especially whoever said we were lucky to beat Hibs (a game I was able to get to). We dominated the first half of that game, and the final 10 minutes. Unlucky to score only 2 goals.  You don't get 5 wins out of 5 by luck alone.  I don't hear anyone saying we were unlucky to lose the previous 5!

"I don't hear anyone saying we were unlucky to lose the previous 5!"

Thats a great point to make cmib.  Does it not just show the reservations of the Highlanders.  No point in getting too carried away with the recent results as they can just as easily slip the other way then the perpetual whingers will just have a field day.  Milk it for what it's worth just now, it's great to be an ICT fan, but also remember to get behind the lads when the chips are down.  Happy yet? I was never unhappy.  Brew knew the club, the club knew Brew it was a no brainer.  Yes he had a disappointing time at United..........different expectations, different circumstances, different players.  He is here now lets get on with it and yes all credit to Brew and his team for turning the season round, although the proof of the pudding will come at the end of the season, that is when all teams are judged. :003:

Of course there is a reason for this unprecidented success and that reason is Mr Craig Brewster...

He is still learning his trade as a manager, but he has already demonstrated that he possesses considerable motivational skills... Several members of our team appear to have made the transition from merely good journeyman pros to very talented accomplished players under his guidance.

I am optimistic enough to see this as the beginning of ICT becoming a major player in the SPL... I sincerely hope the management will back Mr Brewster to the hilt, especially through the forthcoming window, which could determine just how far up the top six section of the table we finish..!!

In this business there is always room for improvement and if our manager gets the backing from the board he needs to strengthen the team in certain areas, the future of ICT is very promising indeed.

:clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03:

I may not agree, but everyone is entitled to their views and opinions and if they want to moan constantly (even when the team is doing well) then that's their choice.  I have never deleted a thread on the basis that I didn't agree with someone.

Discussing and debating a persons points is one thing, moaning about the moaners only adds more negativity and compounds the issue.....and starting whole threads moaning about the moaners is a bit Pot and Kettle.

Don't think so JB, none of the morons who endlessly pollute the boards with unthinking and sheep like positivity ever seem to rethink their posts!  :015:  :015: :015:

I did say a cup final, doesn't that include the winners as well as the runners up?  :rotflmao:

Anyway, you missed my point entirely, so I'll spell it out for you

Do you not think you should respect other people's opinions in the same way you expect your opinions to be respected?  :001:

Well, you'll need to just try harder  :001:

Like I have to do as I read yet another of your "How dare you post your opinion on a player, they might be reading this and it might hurt their feelings" posts  :017:

JB,

You have quoted the single most insensitive and offensive comment I?ve ever had the misfortune to read on this board.

Opinions are like political parties.

The ends of the spectrum are repellent.

The ends of a speculum are pretty feckin repellent too.

?It is axiomatic that we should all think of ourselves as being more sensitive than other people because, when we are insensitive in our dealings with others, we cannot be aware of it at the time: conscious insensitivity is a self-contradiction.?

Aye and now I've got a weird monologue going on!  :015: Merry fecking Christmas Olde Git  :003:

No, no... you mustn't think that...  :018:  These posts of yours still make perfect sense - well - as much as they ever do  :001:

Merry feckin Christmas to you to....  :014: