FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Record Shops of The Sneck

Glen Mhor

Who remembers the record shops of The Sneck ?

Long before these days of HMV there have been quite a number - the Record Rendezvous, Bruce Millars and The Other Record Shop.  I think even the Macrae & **** TV and radio shop on Academy Street sold records for a while.

Any more ?

:music05:

upstairs in Woolies was the place to get the top sellers as no-one ever seemed to go there so they had plenty left LOL. Never went into the rendezvous as at that age, I thought it was all the 'shortbread tin' brigade .... The Other Record Shop was the cool one, but heaven help you if you bought something from the charts ... had to be alternative music.

DR Records after TORS. There was also the chemist (Wilsons?) on Queensgate (beside old market entrance)which had records on bottom floor. Theres a good wee record shop just a further bit up the stairs from where TORS was for anyone thats intrested. It sells second hand vinyl

Boots had one of the better selections of records in the early 70's - the shop was at the Inglis St. / High St junction where prozzies gathered. Allegedly.

Seem to remember John Menzies had a decent selection too. (Of records, that is)

Tremendous record shop, Groucho's in Dundee where i spent many hours of my mispent youth thumbing through the second hand albums and poster collections and inhaling the various strange smelling tobacoes used therein,only found out a couple of years back the owner was originally from Sneck when i did a job for his folks up in Lochardil

DR and Rendezvous were always a must for me any time I visited the Sneck. Especially when Caley/CT were still at the Caley Park. DR was good for fanzines too.

Nothing to do with records, but I must confess to having a quick browse in Leakey's though I never spent anything. It was worth it to see the miserable bugger's face when you walked past him empty handed  :015: :015: :015:

Even a whippersnapper like myself remember DR Records as it was there till about 2002? I used to buy posters and such of bands such as KISS, Iron Maiden and Metallica and those funky iron on patches for your jeans  :016: I miss it as HMV is a rip off. RR was there untill about three years ago I think? I rememer being there a few times. Theres a record shop beside where DR used to be that I have had a look through a few times. I suggest people check it out its pretty good.

Yes James, but a whippersnapper like yourself wouldn't remember the days of record players without a single electrical part which relied on big "HMV" horns to amplify the sound created by the interaction between a huge thick needle and the surface of a bit of solid bakelite which went whizzing round 78 times a minute on a turntable cranked by hand.

(Neither do I [HONEST] but I do remember seeing them on Dr. Finlay's Casebook!  :015:)

I wonder how "Iron Maiden" and "Metallica" would have sounded on one of these gizmos!? :003:

The one thing I would always struggle to part with is my vinyl collection, despite it doing no more than gathering dust it took me the best part of 15 years to put together and could never be replaced.

One day I will buy an old JukeBox to house and play it all.

• 1 month later...

The first record shop on the market brae steps was neither The Other Record Shop or DR Records way back in the early 70's Chris Records had the upstairs of what was Size Boutique later to be  TORS DR Records I remember buying Tonto's Expanding Head Band, Zero Time, wow!  Malcom Cecil and Robert Margouleff also terry Riley's A Rainbow in Curved Air. Chris was from Dingwall he had a record shop there, I think he passed away a few years anyone Expand, Tonto :017:

• 5 months later...

I was speaking to someone at the weekend on this subject who said there was a relatively short-lived record shop in Inglis Street in the 1980s. She couldn't remember the name but it was above street level and had a window at the back of the shop. Could have been roughly where the coffee shop is now.

Any thoughts ?

:rotflmao:

I was speaking to someone at the weekend on this subject who said there was a relatively short-lived record shop in Inglis Street in the 1980s. She couldn't remember the name but it was above street level and had a window at the back of the shop. Could have been roughly where the coffee shop is now.

Any thoughts ?

Yes I remember it too, but cannot remember it's name where The Lemon Tree is. There was also another short lived one in the market behind the model shop in the left had corner.

Graham

Any thoughts ?

I used to hang out in this place every Saturday...cant remember the name but it moved into the Market Arcade for a while...It was run by 2 mates who eventually fell out. One of them was married to my old teacher Mrs Higham

Yeah Kiltarlity, i was a member of Rob Ellens venture. Think its called Grants Close that wee lane.

Smee - I know Rainbow Rob's place very well...i have fond memories of when i was weekly paid, just out of school...and blowing my cash in Tors & Robs place...can rememer the name either.

I still have all my old punk/new wave stuff i bought from their as well...happy days

Yeah Kiltarlity, i was a member of Rob Ellens venture. Think its called Grants Close that wee lane.

Smee - I know Rainbow Rob's place very well...i have fond memories of when i was weekly paid, just out of school...and blowing my cash in Tors & Robs place...can rememer the name either.

I still have all my old punk/new wave stuff i bought from their as well...happy days

I wonder was it called. Undercover Records??

Graham

Well Done Kiltarlity.....the name was causing me distress too :018: :rotflmao:

Oh...small confession here.....me and your brother used to sneek in and take yer records upstair and record them when you were out. I especially remember The Cult: She sells sanctuary: 12" Howling Remix being a special favorite. :thumb04:

Oh...small confession here.....me and your brother used to sneek in and take yer records upstair and record them when you were out. I especially remember The Cult: She sells sanctuary: 12" Howling Remix being a special favorite. :rotflmao: