FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Caley v Clach 1949

The Mantis

Great clip.  What a good crowd!  I would have been 7 then, just before I started watching Caley.  (My first match was actually Clach v Caley at Grant Street in about 1950).  That looked like Bobby Bolt collecting the trophy.  In a number 8 shirt (!!!!). He was always number 4 I thought when I saw him play.  Great shot of 'Ginger' McKenzie at the end too.

Not a chance. It was crowded with 5,000.

CMIB I was eleven  when that clip was shot. 

At first I thought it looked like Bobby Bolt but with that number on his shirt do you really think it was him.

For those of us who were not yet born at that time Bobby was the centre half for Rangers  prior to this. As I recall he ended his career with Caley at Telford Street. Toothless Bobby but a good player.Sweated a lot..... :023:

Not a chance. It was crowded with 5,000.

CMIB I was eleven  when that clip was shot. 

At first I thought it looked like Bobby Bolt but with that number on his shirt do you really think it was him.

For those of us who were not yet born at that time Bobby was the centre half for Rangers  prior to this. As I recall he ended his career with Caley at Telford Street. Toothless Bobby but a good player.Sweated a lot..... :023:

SP  I'm certain its Bobby Bolt despite the number confusion.  Of course, in these days numbering on shirts was quite new, and strictly 2 to 11, no squad numbers as now.  Bobby played right half for Caley, traditionally the number 4 shirt. I,m sure they squeezed more than 5000 into Telford St on occasions.

Think you're right about the crowd Pimple. I think the Clach Park held about 9-10000 for one game (maybe it was Old Firm Select) but not the Caley Park.

I remember being in Grant St for a Caley v Rangers friendly in the early 50s.  Maybe it was at Grant St for crowd reasons for there were at least 10000 there.  Incidentally Rangers fielded a full strength team (including George Young, Willie Woodburn et al) and won 5-3

However I can remember a couple of Scottish cup ties at Telford St, also in 50s I think, v Raith Rovers who won 3-2, and v Motherwell who thumped us 7-0, where I'm sure the crowd was closer to 10000 than 5000.  Is there any way of finding out now?

Has ANYONE got a copy of In A Different League by Rodwill Clyne? I remember looking thro it many moons ago and being amazed by some of the attendances at highland league games. Am sure I read there was once 12 000 in Clach park. But.....this was 20 yrs ago i read it...so i could be wrong