• Thistle
    • Neither
    • Other ( specify)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THISTLE.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

You know there's a message in this thread. There is now a whole new generation of Caley Thistle fans who are young enough really not to have any clue who Thistle and Caley were. Indeed my 22 year old son was only 7 when the merger started and is probably one of the youngest people to remember the separate clubs (and he still has his little blue MacRae and **** strip at home! :003:)

The day isn't far away when it's going to become like searching for World War 1 veterans and we'll be trawling the old folks' homes, looking for those very rare survivors who stood on the Howden End or patronised the black and red pie shed.

A very good point Charles, hence why i added a Other or Neither option for the Tom Caley jags of the world who were maybe too young to follow Caley or Thistle or god forbid supported  Rangers, Celtic or Aberdeen llike so many of my friends did while i stood on the Howden End

you mention an old folks home...did you mean the Caley club in Grieg Street, lol

I must be one of the last people to end up supporting Thistle - I was 10 when the merger happened.

I still have the last Thistle away strip though, pinned up on my wall alongside an ICT top signed by David Proctor that my mum won in a raffle. 

It's great to see so many kids wearing ICT tops now though; when I was a kid absolutely everyone else supported one of the Old Firm - mostly Rangers because it was in the middle of 9 in a row.

Caley - 100 % Howden End or the other end. Those were the days when you could stand behind the opposition keeper's goals for both halves of a match. Happy days at Telford Street.

:003:

I was only 7 when the merger happened so i didnt support either team proir to the merger mainly because i was only 7 and i wasnt into football until about that age. However, if i had been a few years older, i think i would have been a thistle fan purely because i lived on that side of the river. I never experienced the bitter rivalry between the 2 clubs but i have heard all about it and i can see why people apposed the merger. To be honest, i am glad to be supporting post merger as i dont have loyalty to either caley or thistle but just to caley thistle.

I was a Caley Fan pre-merger and my loyalty carried across with the eagle to the new badge and the new club.  I don't feel any need for rivalry with pre-merger Thistle Fans other than the occasional bit of light hearted banter with the two of them.  :tic01:

Having been brought up in the posher side of the town (Hilton) I was always a staunch Thistle

supporter and enjoyed their many successes.  I always felt that hte merger was forced on us

by the other side and they got the better of the bargain.  However I have my happy

memories. seldom miss a home game now.

I think it was easier for Caley fans to accept ICT than our Thistle brothers & sisters. Although the anti-merger mob were all Caley as far as i know.

It would appear so... 60% of ICT fans were Caley fans according to this, with only 15% Thistle fans.

Before the merger, was there an even split? Or were there more Caley fans?

Having been brought up in the posher side of the town (Hilton) I was always a staunch Thistle

supporter and enjoyed their many successes.  I always felt that hte merger was forced on us

by the other side and they got the better of the bargain.  However I have my happy

memories. seldom miss a home game now.

It's a well known fact that that the stigma of coming from Hilton only decreased (and then marginally) when 10CC became ICT manager.