FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Stokes.....

To be honest I'd much rather see us concentrate on giving our own Woods a crack at the whip. He done excellent at Montrose and has an eye for goal, is keen to make an impression and could easily turn out to be a star in an ICT shirt.

Not to say I dont rate Stokes. Just that I dont think its good to become blinkered by the performance of a couple of months.

I don't know Alex. I like Wood (seen him a few times), got a real good low centre of gravity, difficult to knock of the ball, but the one thing we've been crying out for is a striker that has two things.

1. Pace (Stokes has in abundance)

2. A proven SPL goalscorer (16 goals in 18 games is surely as good a striker as you can get outside of the OF)

Guest birdog

To be honest I'd much rather see us concentrate on giving our own Woods a crack at the whip. He done excellent at Montrose and has an eye for goal, is keen to make an impression and could easily turn out to be a star in an ICT shirt.

Not to say I dont rate Stokes. Just that I dont think its good to become blinkered by the performance of a couple of months.

Agreed but I believe Stokes is a far better prospect than Barrowman and bolstering our squad with players who have proven themselves before at this level is never a bad thing. Wood will get his chance, I have no doubt about that, we are only discussing a rumour at this time and this rumour has gotten me, at least, a little more optimistic about the ambitions of the club than a second division "superstar" and a defender who even the majority C*unty fans don't rate.

Interesting thing to say given you were against the signing of Liam Buchannan as you didn't feel he could make the step up from SFL2 to SPL and yet you feel that Wood could do so and also because Stokes has scored for sun in the SPL as Chris123 points out. That's not to say that Wood couldn't but out of the two, given their history, I wouldn't pick Wood as the one who is more likely to grab us a goal in the SPL.

Your right RiG. I didn't think Buchanan could come to us and give us what we needed at that time but he has has a good season at Pathetic and maybe could now. IMO Garry Wood, having trained with our squad for the last two seasons, has matured enough to fit in now. And he did score a few goals (9 I think) at Montrose

Yogi was a defender in his time, and look at what he got out of Stokes. With Brew being a former striker he could make him even better. I would love to get Stokes up here, even just for a year.  :clapping03:

Yogi was a defender in his time, and look at what he got out of Stokes. With Brew being a former striker he could make him even better. I would love to get Stokes up here, even just for a year.  :clapping03:

I sometimes think the other way round ...... Look at Paterson. He was also a defender in his time yet we got more out of the strikers than we did the defence. Much of the time the Caley Thistle ethos under Pele was to leak goals but score more than the opposition. When Robbo came on board, I believe we became far meaner at the back but less effective up front. Maybe its because managers think they know everything about the position they once played in and try to mould players who play in that position into their own image but let other positions have more freedom to develop naturally .....

If Brewster does have the ability to develop Stokes' (or any other striker's) talent rather than try to make him a clone of himself then I agree that it would be very interesting. Despite his currently questionable (by some) managerial skills, I also suspect that Brewster's reputation as a decent striker, a fitness fanatic and a player who looked after himself so he could still be playing at age 40 might be viewed favourably by clubs who are prepared to loan players out