FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Favourite chippies....

Johnboy

There are no good chippies in Sneck IMO.

Get along to the Ashvale in Aberdeen if you want a good one! The Bervie Chipper is meant to be good and there is one just outside Forres if I mind right but I wasn't that impressed when I went to the actual one in Bervie but it might be worth a try if you are an extreme fan of Fish n Chips.

I tried a Bervie Chippy in Stonehaven a few years back and it was pretty good - that one just outside Forres hasn't been open all that long. Has anyone tried it?

The last decent fish&chip takeaway I had was in Ullapool.....

How come there are two excellent chippies there and yet none in Sneck....

I am an extreme fan of fish & chips so I want a serious debate on this.... It's important to me - I call it "survival" !!

oh my!!!

the chip inn in nairn, fish is cooked there and then, make a huge differance, not left under lights to curl up it's tail in dispare! dispair? dispear? you know what i meant! :016:

You make me despair at times.....FW

I had a beast of a chippy in the Ulapool one many a year ago. The one near the Cal Mac ferry point aye? Think that was when we were going to play Stornaway in the footie.

Hilton Chippy :021: and not just becuase my brother is the frier there (apart from Sat nights). None of this frozen chips crap, good old freshly prepared chips straight from the potatoe. Even when they aren't the best of potatoes I still prefer them to the frozen ones.

If you go in, don't mention my name or he'll likely spit in your chips.... :015:

Thanks CaleyD - I'll give it a try - Do they fry in oil or dripping? Is the fish fresh or frozen? Harry Ramsdens use frozen fish which can be a bit iffy. I totally agree about crap frozen chips.... Is it best avoided on Saturday nights?

Hilton Chippy still uses dripping - only one in Inverness I believe. Fresh Fish arrives daily Tuesday through Friday, and I would avoid a Saturday night if you want to taste the food from there at it's best.

The Harry Ramsdens in Sneck won the best UK chippy or something a couple of years ago I mind. I was shocked. I had been there once or twice before and it was worse than Mikes at Broadhill in Aberdeen. F'ck knows why so many folk like it. Bloody awful chips and I can't believe I wasted my time queuing to get them at New Years! :015:

I've always found the West End chippy one of the best (never used to be mind) in Inverness.

Used the Chip Inn in Nairn a few times too....didn't this place close down last year or was it just a temp' closure?

I travel all over the country and can never find a good chippy. The one across from the Tarry Isle isnt too bad. Theres one on the hill in Cullen that is probably the best I've found in recent times. Perth chippies are all run by Chinese people who dont know how to fry.

I think modern oils and hygiene are the problems. The food shouldbe cooked in dripping and wrapped in three week old newspaper for ultimate flavour.

Agree that Sneck doesnt have too many decent chippies .... The one in Tomnahurich St. / Glenurquhart Rd - 'First Plaice' or something like that - is my chippie of choice anytime I visit, or it is since 'Kirsties' in Kinmylies closed down. The food is usually cooked while you wait and portions were decent enough. Harry Ramsdens in Inverness is, IMHO, the WORST chip shop I have ever encountered - bad food, bad portions - I cannot see how it ever won anything. This is saying something, but even the food at the HR in Glasgow airport was better than the Inverness one !!!!!!!!!

What about peoples favourite chippies when on an away day ?????

We always used to stop in Pitlochry on the way back up the road and go to the chippie that was a few hundred yards up the hill just off the main street ... never the one at the other end of the village.

I've lived in Sneck for 3 years now and cannot find a decent chippy close-by. The best fish & chips I've found is at the Crown & Anchor, Findhorn.

Suggestions please...

You obviously haven't been recently the new chef is gash. The bunty in Findhorn though is a decent chippy when it's open also the bervie chipper the other side of Forre is decent and you get good sized portions. The best chippie I've been to in snecks probably the one at the end of the High Street outside the Eastgate.

As much as I don't dislike Leicester there is a chipper just around the corner from where I stay and it is probably the best one I have ever been in the fish are HUGE - I never had one I can fit on a plate, when me and my uncle go we get one portion of chips between us (and we can eat a lot!!) and it is always more than enough. On a Friday evening it always queued out the door for hours. In fact I was there last night!! :005:

We always used to stop in Pitlochry on the way back up the road and go to the chippie that was a few hundred yards up the hill just off the main street ... never the one at the other end of the village.

Yes, I know the one, we've used that a few times and has always been good....well, better than the one on the main street anyway.

Stornoway. Freshly made, quite cheap and enough fish to choke a horse, mind you never seen a horse eating fish.

Aberfoyle has an absolute stoater. Guy says he gets his fish from Iceland (the country not the shop) if that makes any difference.

Scotty, the one up the hill in Pitlochry is called 'The Plaice to be' or some other terribly witty name. The other one in the main street takes ages and gives you loads of wasteful cardboard packaging. Plus the fish is small enough to fit in the box.