FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Iain Vigurs

Guest Hoops123

Guest Hoops123

I have noticed a few others have opened up this discussion already but thought i would start a fresh to get folks updated views.

For the last wee while people connected with ICT have known about the talents of Iain Vigurs and others who have came through the youth ranks but do you think that young Iain is proving that given yougsters a chance to prove themselves and taking a gamble can sometimes be worth it? Some may argue that it was no gamble cause could tell through reserve games he had the potetnial to hold his own in the ICT first team after some outstanding performances but its not often that a youngster gets a chance and proves himslelf so quickly "with the big boys"

In recent weeks many reports have listed his performances as being "neat and tidy, definately one for the future" or certainly newspaper reports indicated so.

So whats the rest of the fans views on such a prospect, i mean he wants to stay but who no's what will happen wen the new gaffer comes in cause as we no he considering his options. Speakin bout contracts i did here that Falkirk and Motherwell were very impressed and keeping tags on him, especially after him comin out publicly and sayin he wil weigh up his options after bein offered a 2 year deal (a year or 2 to short for my liking) but that may just be more football rumours.

I personally think that players such as Vigurs are massive to a club like ICT and the board should be offering long term contracts before other clubs swoop in. So what does everyone else think???

Its very important to any club that they can bring players through their systems. It is also very important that the mental and physical abilities are assessed properly before throwing them into the deep end. Some really shine at the lower levels but put them into the big game too early and they break down. Ian is a player who I believe will shine at the top level but there are some, like Rory, who just dont have it. Some of it may be down to the coaching but mostly its to do with the individuals mental state.

With all teams for every two or three who come through the youth system there are two or three hundred who dont. The secret is to recognise which ones to concentrate.

Vigurs is too lightweight and raw for me. He always shirks out of challenges and never goes for 50-50 balls.

Also why does he always go for the impossible 50 yard pass along the desk that has to be missed by at least 5 of the opposing players to get to a team-mate, instead of a simple 10 yard pass? :rotflmao:

Vigurs is too lightweight and raw for me. He always shirks out of challenges and never goes for 50-50 balls.

Also why does he always go for the impossible 50 yard pass along the desk that has to be missed by at least 5 of the opposing players to get to a team-mate, instead of a simple 10 yard pass? :rotflmao:

imitation may be the sincerest form of flattery but I hope nobody attributes these Vigurs comments to me.....

he is a great player

This lad has already demonstrated his potential to become a truely great player and more importantly has shown his mental capacity to perform well at SPL standard - a skill that was probably honed and developed during his time at Aberdeen and Celtic's YD not to mention his early exposure to 3rd division football at the tender age of 15.

It may be prudent however for Vigurs to determine what Terry Butcher's opinion of him is before agreeing to extending his contract at ICT cos as we all know different people see different things in players and this lad would not be satisfied with warming his bum on a bench every week. So lets hope TB sees his potential and keeps him as a regular 1st team player, offers him a contract that reflects his talent and potential as it would seem he is more than happy to stay at ICT!,

He does have a very laid back approach to the game which may come across to some as lack of commitment/effort. I think it can only be a good thing that we have someone in the side that will try the unexpected/difficult pass. We have plenty of others who will 'get stuck in' Potentially he could easily be one of our best ever players

Let's hope we tie him up on a long deal soon

One of the brightest talents to emerge from our youth system in years.

I disagree with the lack of going in for 50-50s. When he played against Rangers i recall him successfully disposessing Broadfoot and Steven Davis in challenges that some players wouldn't go in for.

He carries a sweet left foot shot and cross and his set pieces are fairly impressive(apart from free-kicks :rotflmao: )

Cant say he's exactly a lightweight. 5' 10" and 11st 10lb

Alex have you seen the average size of the users on this site, it looks extremely lightwieght to me :rotflmao: :thumb04:

No Steve thats all changed now. The average size has come down drastically since Mr Kidger's diet.

On Saturday he again showed flashes of real promise. He sees passes and tries things that very few ICT players past or present have had the confidence to do. In terms of his strength and physical presence in midfield, these are things you would expect him to add to his game with age and experience. The board would be mad not to offer him a much-improved new contract and he should be an automatic starter in the team for the next few weeks, to allow to build on the confidence he should have taken from Saturday.

I have watched i c t . since they were formed and without doubt Vigurs is the best prospect bar none.The difference in his physique in the last few months is quite noticeable and it is showing in his workrate as he is now doing his share defensively.To let him go without reaping the rewards both on the field and financially in the future would be a travesty for our club.

One of the brightest talents to emerge from our youth system in years.

:rotflmao: didnt he come from elgin???

He did, but strictly speaking when he joined he was drafted into our under 19 system as i recall therefore he did technically progress through our youth system.

How many times have you seen him play?

I take it you were not at the Hamilton game then?

He gave the ball away far too often and the boy McArthur ran the show in the centre of the park, whilst Vigurs tried to keep up with his shadow.

I have no doubt the lad has great potential but he appears to be trying to run before he can walk.

I agree with many if the comments on here. Certainly, Iain has a lot of talent and the potential to be a great player. But he is young and raw. And he does pull out of tackles or declines to make them. He's not alone there, though as Don Cowie is a classic example of an older head who also isn't nearly physical enough for an SPL midfield. Andy Barrowman is another who then goes in to make a horrendous tackle and gets booked.

Don't forget there are other talented youngsters who have come through the ranks or are about to do so. Garry Wood has demonstrated he has talent but is extremely raw still. Jamie Duff, too. And then we had another young defender in Guy Kerr who played great alongside jamie in the reserves, and we go and let him away.

Let's hope the new management team will recognise their talents and then do something about their weaknesses.

How many times have you seen him play?

I take it you were not at the Hamilton game then?

He gave the ball away far too often and the boy McArthur ran the show in the centre of the park, whilst Vigurs tried to keep up with his shadow.

I have no doubt the lad has great potential but he appears to be trying to run before he can walk.

Sponge you are judging the lad on one game, a player is allowed to have a below par performance. Every other game he has played in he has been one of, if not our best player. He controlled the game against celtic at parkhead...how many players have done that...not many, which has included some of the best players in the world. You say he is lightweight, i've heard from a caley player that he is one of the strongest players in the team and is very difficult to knock off the ball, doesn't sound lightweight to me. He does throw himself about but it's no good Iain being sidelined for going into a stupid challenge. In my opinion Vigurs is our best prospect and should be dealt with by the club in a more serious manner otherwise we will loose him to a bigger club.