FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Piracy In Somalia

EWS

Sooooooo......

Where to bleeding start? At the moment, thankfully, the world seems to be reporting on the events off the coast of Somalia. Now although this isn't the only place in Africa that has piracy (but lets not get into that shall we) at least these attacks are getting reported now.

Everyone heard about the Sirius Star, and how that the ransom was eventually paid, and then the Chinese announced they were sending ships there, then the Americans said they were sending some, and now it seems that all the world powers have ships there, although I couldn't find any reports on the British -being there.

Now, Clinton has come out with some utter toss about combating piracy. These are.

1. An expanded international effort

2. Freezing the pirates assets

3. Plugging gaps in shippings defences

4. Improving the state of Somalia.

Now, how we go about doing some of these things she doesn't expand on. But is it just me, or is she speaking the biggest load of crap in the world, and acts as if she doesn't actually have a clue about what is going on here?

Let me try and deal with each one at a time, as I see it.

1. An expanded international effort

I actually agree with her on this one. It will need an expanded international effort to control this area. The problem is that the usual going to the UN and imposing sanctions on Somalia won't work like it 'worked' with N.Korea and Iraq. What this expanded international effort needs to be is to get troops into Somalia and start taking out these pirates.

2.Freezing the pirates assets

I've only got one point on this one and it comes in a question. Why does she think that the pirates get paid in cash......?

3. Plugging gaps in shipping defences

Short of putting weapons on boats, what does she expect them to do?

4. Dealing with improving Somalia

Somalia has no control, has no authority, has no government. What Somalia needs is a kick up the arse. Get troops into Somalia and start taking out these luxury homes, these luxury cars that all these pirates buy after they get paid off. That is the ONLY way to stop these attacks from occurring.

That is just some of my thoughts on the matter. Interestingly enough, I didn't see it widely reported that there was a Brit kidnapped in Nigeria recently. Guess Nigeria and W. Africa is old hat now.

I read an article in one of the sunday braodsheets that the pirates themselves are just paid thugs, and that the warlords organise, arm and supply them with boats.

Its also claimed that corrupt officials are on the payroll to supply information about shipping etc, so its not just the pirates its the whole feckin country thats the problem.

I find it strange that although these pirates have been active for years its only once an American ship is targetted that the International community seek to take action .

How about trying the old idea of "Q ships"? These originated early in the First World War as a means of sorting out Uboats. The Uboats used to prefer to accept surrender on the surface and sink their prey by gunfire rather than waste torpedoes from beneath.

What the British did was to send apparently defenceless merchantmen out and when the Uboat approached, the crew would appear to abandon ship. However what was less obvious was that they had left behind a party to man the gun which suddenly materialised when a false wheelhouse fell flat. The gun then proceeded to blow the **** out of the Uboat.

It should be even simpler off Somalia since these pirates don't have the option of submerging to attack which the Germans eventually did once they wised up to the Q ships.

Quite simply, arm a few merchant ships to the teeth with concealed weapons, wait until the pirates get quite close, show the teeth in question....bye bye pirates. This might well also provide a huge disincentive for some of their mates to try it on.

Quite simply, arm a few merchant ships to the teeth with concealed weapons, wait until the pirates get quite close, show the teeth in question....bye bye pirates. This might well also provide a huge disincentive for some of their mates to try it on.

I doubt it would. Somalians cram in to unseaworthy boats to reach Yemen (YEMEN! - now there's desperation if that's where you're fleeing) as a chance of potentially having a life that's vaguely survivable.

Short-term, it has to be military defence. Long term, I'm not too sure what the answer is aside from some miracle that improves the stability in Mogadishu. Sanctions against a bankrupt country would be no use. Invasion by whom? The Western powers would just add to the resentment and only other African powers would probably be of interest in doing so but to what end? There's already a civil war. Would adding a further army unite them?

I find it strange that although these pirates have been active for years its only once an American ship is targetted that the International community seek to take action .

How about trying the old idea of "Q ships"? These originated early in the First World War as a means of sorting out Uboats. The Uboats used to prefer to accept surrender on the surface and sink their prey by gunfire rather than waste torpedoes from beneath.

What the British did was to send apparently defenceless merchantmen out and when the Uboat approached, the crew would appear to abandon ship. However what was less obvious was that they had left behind a party to man the gun which suddenly materialised when a false wheelhouse fell flat. The gun then proceeded to blow the **** out of the Uboat.

It should be even simpler off Somalia since these pirates don't have the option of submerging to attack which the Germans eventually did once they wised up to the Q ships.

I say, do the honourable thing Carruthers and blow the bounders out of the water!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest birdog

I think the Pirates just need a hug.

You really should put more consideration into your posts.

Edited by Yngwie

Guest birdog

A little bit of good news for merchant mariners who are on ships sailing in the Somalia area is that the IBF have overseen an agreement that the piracy risk area is expanded in those waters and that seamen are given similar rights as those sailing in a warzone the right to refuse to sail through the area and have a replacement aranged for your position on the ship being one important option open to these guys now.

LINK

Guest birdog

Our unions have been screaming their heads off to the government for many years but unfortunately until the Sirius Star was taken our government never took much notice either.

Guest birdog

Charles these pirates are already armed with RPGs and machine guns, you start arming merchant shipping then the pirates will become more dangerous. The subject has been discussed at great legnths before and the concensus at this time is that whilst the pirates have the attitude they hold presently, that they wish to carry out their raids without bloodshed of their hostages, then it is better not to push them into a situation where they fire first and ask questions later. Besides merchant seamen are not employed to fight pirates, that is the job of the Royal Navy.