FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Healthy & Safety....

Johnboy

Did anyone else here this news item tonight on Reporting Scotland?

I just couldn't believe my ears.... One set of rules for Joe Public and an entirely different set for firefighters.

An inquiry into the death of a woman who fell down a mine has heard she lay for six hours because safety rules banned firefighters from rescuing her.

Alison Hume, 44, fell about 40ft into the shaft in Galston in July 2008.

A fatal accident inquiry into her death is being held at Kilmarnock Sheriff Court.

It has been told that fire crews could not aid Ms Hume because regulations stated their equipment was for saving themselves, not members of the public.

Full story here

Edited by Johnboy

As someone involved in health and safety, and knowing the Working at Height regulations very well, I can only assume that someone has made a very bad interpretation of the regs. If the firemen are trained in rescue from height then it shouldn't matter whether its another fireman or joe public who's being rescued. As for equipment. There are only a couple of companies in UK who manufacture the equipment to the required EN standard so there's every chance the mountain rescue have exactly the same equipment as the fire brigade.

I seem to recall another thing with Strathclyde Fire service. Something about them not being allowed to go into burning buildings to afford rescue any more. I hope the enquiry tears them up for asswipes.

Think it was just one fireman being a jobsworth with tragic consequences. The firemen first on scene were already down the shaft with the paramedic ready to go next. Allegedly the officer arrived to deal with the press and realising he was senior took charge with tragic results. Think the other rescuers were devistated but had no choice but to obey orders. And before anyone says they shouldnt have listened well these days if they had gone ahead they would probably have all lost their jobs. This is the way the fire service and ambulance service seems to work. #Think the guy made a very bad call but......