FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

So which result is bigger?

Scotty

Anything that puts Highland football on the map is a fantastic result regardless of who achieves it.

What a load of tosh

I want the best for ICT and ICT only. C*unty getting any sort of success or achieving more than us makes the neutral supporter swing in their direction... best part of yesterday was Chick Young going round and telling all their players that they had already qualified for Europe.. :blink: :D :lol: :lol:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

County's is the bigger result because it was a semi at Hampden but our result in 2000 definitely had more shock value and it was against a much better Celtic team. Celtic fans were calling yesterday the worst performance they'd ever seen and they weren't wrong.

Enough already please with the "Support the Highlands" twaddle. I've only lived up here for 7 years so maybe I just have a different take on things but RCFC are our rivals. Congrats to them for a great performance but I no more want to support them in a final or any other game than fly in the air. Anybody who calls themselves an ICT supporter shouldn't be jumping on other peoples bandwagons. :P

County are our rivals only because they are the closest team to us and people, for some reason, like to have an enemy. There is nothing different about either set of fans, if you ignore the fact that they live in crap houses and are on minimum wage. Over the next 10 years, I reckon we will play each other about 4 times. We will have all their best players, and they will have our really young, and really old players. I view them as a similar sized club to us, but we have always had the better players. We have similar attendances and both clubs have no religious, ethical or historical differences. Old firm, Biggy/Tu Pac Arabs/Dee, Dons/Gers, Oasis/Blur, St Pauli/Hamburg, Man u/Liverpol/Leeds/Arsenal/Chelsea Chibber/DalneighCaley Caley D/ICT Milburn/Culloden have all got historical, Political or Religious beefs with each other, where with County people don't like them because we feel we have to dislike them. FFS, we're not envious of them are we? Back in the day I got called "A fakeen Inverness mink" by a wee Dingwall girl who must be about 16 now and has four children, with five different fathers. I think they maybe envy us a bit. Who's cup shock is better? Well they're both shocks so they are the same thing. I for one would love a day in the sun at Hampden but I also remember how Caley crazy a lot of the footballing world went back in 2000. The second time we did it was just as big but because we had done it before, was not as big a story. Well done County, ram it right up Lennon, Keano the first, Keano the second, Rod Stuart, Billy Conolly, Paulo Natini, Mogwai, McCourt, the Inverness Selic supporters club, Jan Malby and all the rest.

County are our rivals only because they are the closest team to us and people, for some reason, like to have an enemy. There is nothing different about either set of fans, if you ignore the fact that they live in crap houses and are on minimum wage. Over the next 10 years, I reckon we will play each other about 4 times. We will have all their best players, and they will have our really young, and really old players. I view them as a similar sized club to us, but we have always had the better players. We have similar attendances and both clubs have no religious, ethical or historical differences. Old firm, Biggy/Tu Pac Arabs/Dee, Dons/Gers, Oasis/Blur, St Pauli/Hamburg, Man u/Liverpol/Leeds/Arsenal/Chelsea Chibber/DalneighCaley Caley D/ICT Milburn/Culloden have all got historical, Political or Religious beefs with each other, where with County people don't like them because we feel we have to dislike them. FFS, we're not envious of them are we? Back in the day I got called "A fakeen Inverness mink" by a wee Dingwall girl who must be about 16 now and has four children, with five different fathers. I think they maybe envy us a bit. Who's cup shock is better? Well they're both shocks so they are the same thing. I for one would love a day in the sun at Hampden but I also remember how Caley crazy a lot of the footballing world went back in 2000. The second time we did it was just as big but because we had done it before, was not as big a story. Well done County, ram it right up Lennon, Keano the first, Keano the second, Rod Stuart, Billy Conolly, Paulo Natini, Mogwai, McCourt, the Inverness Selic supporters club, Jan Malby and all the rest.

Hey, C'mon now. Paolo Nutini is brilliant!

Well done County, ram it right up Lennon, Keano the first, Keano the second, Rod Stuart, Billy Conolly, Paulo Natini, Mogwai, McCourt, the Inverness Selic supporters club, Jan Malby and all the rest.

Digging how you spelt some of those names mocking.gif

i would say the county result is possibly going to turn out to be bigger as i think it could lend more weight to the argument for expanding the spl as yet again a "small" team has proved that they have what it takes.... when we did it against celtic it was more of a freak result but now that it happens more often to the old firm the argument has to be put that there is more call for an 18 team league

Caley's win was more important, it was the first time either club had managed to get a result against that lot since both clubs were accepted into the league structure. It put ICT on the map, and to a lesser (ok, hugely lesser extent) County as well. We had our moment but nothing like that night for Caley

However, I would say that yesterdays result was more significant. Not only does it give County a chance to get some major silverware (lets be honest, the Scottish FA cup is second only to SPL success for many) but gives us a chance for European tie (and most likely only 1 round if previous teams experiences are anything to go by)

However, this season is more testimony to the fact that both teams are here on merit, Caley look to be bouncing straight back up to the SPL, something that much more established clubs have failed to do and credit where credit is due, Well Done. County have now got to the final of the cup after beating Hibs and Celtic and much earlier this season Hamilton in the League cup, the case for a bigger SPL is not only strong, but now screaming for the ones in cahrge to hear....and if they refuse then we will have to bloddy win the 1st next season

Edited by northensoul

Guest Mahonio

Caley's win was more important, it was the first time either club had managed to get a result against that lot since both clubs were accepted into the league structure. It put ICT on the map, and to a lesser (ok, hugely lesser extent) County as well. We had our moment but nothing like that night for Caley

However, I would say that yesterdays result was more significant. Not only does it give County a chance to get some major silverware (lets be honest, the Scottish FA cup is second only to SPL success for many) but gives us a chance for European tie (and most likely only 1 round if previous teams experiences are anything to go by)

However, this season is more testimony to the fact that both teams are here on merit, Caley look to be bouncing straight back up to the SPL, something that much more established clubs have failed to do and credit where credit is due, Well Done. County have now got to the final of the cup after beating Hibs and Celtic and much earlier this season Hamilton in the League cup, the case for a bigger SPL is not only strong, but now screaming for the ones in cahrge to hear....and if they refuse then we will have to bloddy win the 1st next season

I agree with you because results for teams such as County (beating Hibs and Celtic), Raith (beating the Dons), Inverness CT (beating Motherwell) have shown that "smaller" 1st Div teams can play well against and even beat the "big" clubs.

Also we are a smaller team than you

County in 2010 are a much bigger, wealthier, more established team than ICT were in 2000. We had just come up from Division 2 with a team and manager largely from the Highland League, rather thanthe SPL origins that form the base of County these days. County have been battling for promotion, ICT back then were happy to be steering clear of relegation.

Perhaps the question has been answered by the media coverage. County's win is the backpage headline today, whereas ours was the front page, everywhere. I note that on the BBC news last night, yesterday's result wasn't even the main sports story.

Celtic losing, and losing to lower league teams is par for the course these days, and a first division team reaching the cup final isn't a novelty any more after Gretna and Queens managed it in very recent years.

County raised eyebrows across the land, but there are no shock waves.

Good point. Our XI that beat Celtic at Celtic Park were mainly drawn from the Highland League - Jim Calder, Mike Teasdale, Stuart Golabek, Mark McCulloch, Richard Hastings, Ross Tokely, Barry Wilson and Charlie Christie were all either signed from the Highland League or started out there, most played the majority of their careers there before signing for us. We also had Pele, who came from the Highland League. We were just into the First Division and were completely skint.

County, while they've been a bit topsy turvy over the past few seasons, have spent nine of the last ten seasons in the First Division - they are an established presence in the top half of Scottish football. Of the players they had on Saturday around half had significant experience of the SPL: Michael McGovern, Scott Morrison, Richard Brittain, Steven Craig, Iain Vigurs, Andy Barrowman.

So I'd say that our result in 2000 was a bigger shock than the result on Saturday but from the other perspective County are in Scotland's flagship cup final, so it's perhaps a bigger result. In the final analysis, it hardly matters to the fans as both will enjoy their own clubs results.

I'm not hugely bothered about them getting to the cup final - winning the league is the main goal for First Division clubs and if we manage that then it'll have been a great season for us. However, I will permit myself a wee laugh if they get comopletely mangled in the final by Yinted.

County in 2010 are a much bigger, wealthier, more established team than ICT were in 2000. We had just come up from Division 2 with a team and manager largely from the Highland League, rather thanthe SPL origins that form the base of County these days. County have been battling for promotion, ICT back then were happy to be steering clear of relegation.

Perhaps the question has been answered by the media coverage. County's win is the backpage headline today, whereas ours was the front page, everywhere. I note that on the BBC news last night, yesterday's result wasn't even the main sports story.

Celtic losing, and losing to lower league teams is par for the course these days, and a first division team reaching the cup final isn't a novelty any more after Gretna and Queens managed it in very recent years.

This post made me smile :)

Had thought about this quite a bit now, and my own thoughts were largely the same as the majority. The first lower league team to beat Celtic on their own patch, with a Highland league origin level of players. Shock waves was one description, it was Tsunami proportions that went throughout the world. Yeah it was an out of form Celtic team with some pretty decent players and a lot of international caps amongst them.

County have done the same, against an out of form Celtic, with a few good, to very good players. But they did it on the national platform, BUT it only sent ripples around Britain, not Europe or the world - apart from the Celtic world. This was partly due to the previous defeats by lower level teams that Celtic have now suffered.

However, I did hear Neil Lennon say in an interview that from a Celtic point of view the defeat in Inverness was the biggest achievement, as that was against a well oiled, winning mentality, full of internationals, great Celtic team. One which goes down in history for all the right reasons, not the wrong ones. Considering it was against a very successful manager, with a team of god knows how many international caps for big countries.

So I will go with the ginger whingers opinion on what has been the biggest achievement

INVERNESS CALEDONIAN THISTLE 1 ( DENNIS WYNESS ) GLASGOW CELTIC 0.

a lot of our players that night also played in the Parkheid game too, so double whammy

So I will go with the ginger whingers opinion on what has been the biggest achievement

a lot of our players that night also played in the Parkheid game too, so double whammy

Just for the record, I think the day we won 3-2 in the league after being 2-0 down at HT was the best. But there are just so many to choose from.

I agree. Sorry when I said smaller I was meaning about fan base, town, etc.

Stevie Paterson said in The Sun yesterday that our result is better but like I said in my original post, both were fantastic achievements in their own right and I don't think it really matters which was the best...until the next arguement between both our sets of fans starts. :025:

I think Pele is saying County's win is the biggest only in the sense that it has got them further in the competition. Nobody can argue with that. Whilst giving generous praise for their performance, I don't get the sense that he thinks it was a better performance or bigger shock than ours in 2000.

I agree with Bauhaus that the 1-0 in Inverness was the best avievement. That Celtic team was by far the best of the 3 Celtic sides and they came to Inverness keen to avenge the earlier humiliation. Whilst it didn't have the novelty shock impact of the 1-3, it was an absolutely brilliant performance. So really, all 3 matches are each the biggest result in their different ways.

Had thought about this quite a bit now, and my own thoughts were largely the same as the majority. The first lower league team to beat Celtic on their own patch, with a Highland league origin level of players. Shock waves was one description, it was Tsunami proportions that went throughout the world. Yeah it was an out of form Celtic team with some pretty decent players and a lot of international caps amongst them.

County have done the same, against an out of form Celtic, with a few good, to very good players. But they did it on the national platform, BUT it only sent ripples around Britain, not Europe or the world - apart from the Celtic world. This was partly due to the previous defeats by lower level teams that Celtic have now suffered.

However, I did hear Neil Lennon say in an interview that from a Celtic point of view the defeat in Inverness was the biggest achievement, as that was against a well oiled, winning mentality, full of internationals, great Celtic team. One which goes down in history for all the right reasons, not the wrong ones. Considering it was against a very successful manager, with a team of god knows how many international caps for big countries.

Eh, actually it did make it onto the sport section of our evening news here in Oz so it did make it around the world although not as big and the ICT win in 2000.

Still think the ICT win was bigger as it was the first and it was against a far better Celtic team.