Injuries....

Johnboy

How come we have so many injured players at the moment, when our season hasn't even propery started yet?

The summer break used to be a time when players could get a wee bit of a rest, and get over any niggly lingering knocks and strains. We appeared to have quite a fit looking squad for the last few games of last season.....

What has gone wrong since then?

I'm thinking TB shouldn't be risking any of our established first team guys for the next two friendlies.

I just think we were extremely lucky with the lack of injuries last season and maybe our time has come. Hopefully everybody will be fighting fit soon.

likewise to this i think it was a bad run of injuries that helped to relegate us

Have to agree that the injuries so far in pre-seaon have been worrying however the papers all seem to say that Hayes and Foran have had the all clear from scans and should be back soon.

Also Munro and Innes' injuries hopefully shouldnt keep them out for too long

I'd love to see Foran and Hayes get a sub appearance in tomorrow's match, with a start v. Antwerp. Fingers crossed they are ready...

totally agree, we're going to need them back to full fitness for the celtic game so the sooner they're back in action the better

I'd love to see Foran and Hayes get a sub appearance in tomorrow's match, with a start v. Antwerp. Fingers crossed they are ready...

totally agree, we're going to need them back to full fitness for the celtic game so the sooner they're back in action the better

Is it not the case that the scans have only given them the all clear to start full training? Given that they've missed pre-season training, they are surely some way from match fitness and I'd be surprised (but delighted) if they were able to play in the remaining friendlies.

Is it not the case that the scans have only given them the all clear to start full training? Given that they've missed pre-season training, they are surely some way from match fitness and I'd be surprised (but delighted) if they were able to play in the remaining friendlies.

I'm guessing this is the case as well, but i'm still holding out hope :nervous:

without knowing the full details of the scans no-one really knows

it may be the case that the scans have given the all clear for full contact training or it may be the case that running or general fitness work could have already begun. i certainly hope its the latter. It would depend on the nature of the injury which we dont know too much about

guess we'll find out with the line up for tomorrow and saturdays friendlies

They'll need to get some games under there belts before the Celtic game .

Even if nether of them kick a ball in the two friendlies, I'll be more than happy to see them line up against Celtic.

They may very well be lacking match fitness, but assuming they are both physically fit, they will still give Celtic plenty to worry about. Their natural ability will see to that.

Did Butcher not say the other day that with the results of the scans, Hayes and Foran can now work their way back to full fitness?

That was quoted somewhere. The latest scan would have been to assess how well any injury has healed. It may well be that some level of exercise has been taking place as part of the healing process but I doubt either will be anywhere near full fitness. They are a month behind the rest of the squad as far as fitness and match fitness goes.

It may well be that some level of exercise has been taking place as part of the healing process but I doubt either will be anywhere near full fitness. They are a month behind the rest of the squad as far as fitness and match fitness goes.

So.... Are you saying that if they don't have any match practice between now and the 14th August they shouldn't be considered for the Celtic game?

I was brought up in an era, and you probably were too, of players like Law, Best, Baxter, Henderson, Jimmy Johnstone, etc, etc...

As far as these guys were concerned match fitness never entered the equation... If they could run for a few yards with the ball at their feet, they were in the team, and that was that.

Might be unfair to compare Foran and Hayes, with say - Law and Johnstone, but they are still the kinds of players that can win matches for their team. Remember that scissor kick goal of Foran's in the 90th minute of a crucial game last season.... So crucial that I've forgotten who it was now!

Naah.... You cant leave guys like that out the team in such an important game, just because they are short of match practice.

I'd be interested to hear what others think.

• Agree 2

Remember that scissor kick goal of Foran's in the 90th minute of a crucial game last season.... So crucial that I've forgotten who it was now!

Naah.... You cant leave guys like that out the team in such an important game, just because they are short of match practice.

I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Was it not Raith?

I totally agree they should start if available and then be substituted if/when they get tired.

They are and will be crucial players for us, but playing them if there are not totally fit could lead to a recurrence of the injury and put them back another month or 2!

I's like to see them get a wee run about tonight and saturday, or even for the young team tomorrow night?

I'm recalling the debates we had here when we played the first few weeks (if not months) of 07/08 with our star player not being properly match fit.

And what a star he turned out to be....

understand that Richie could start the Celtic game, but it was an injury from the Ayr game away, so nowt to do with pre season or friendlies.

Think Hayes injury is a hangover from opponents constant hacking at him towards the end of last season. Dont know how close he is to playing