FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

New faces on the way.....

Libero

Caley Thistle chairman Kenny Cameron is stressing that the club has had 'a positive' response from several new players they are keen to sign.

The departure of Gregory Tade and Greg Tansey and the fact that Jonny Hayes' agent today says he will sign for Aberdeen have created spaces in the squad that manager Terry Butcher is already making progress on filling.

"Terry and Maurice Malpas have been working hard on prospective targets as we wait to see if our remaining out of contract players accept their new offers", said Cameron.

"I cannot say too much at this stage as potential incoming players are still under contract elsewhere, but several of them have responded in a very positive manner to our initial approaches and we are quietly confident of new arrivals.

"The number of new faces we require will depend on how many of our out of contract players decide to leave. But our management team are pulling out all the stops to ensure we have adequate cover for all positions."

story here: http://ictfc.com/news/club-news/501-new-faces-are-on-the-way-

This season really is a make or break season for us IMO and we really need to assemble a squad capable of firstly remaining in the SPL but also hopefully challenging for mid-table.

Caley Thistle chairman Kenny Cameron is stressing that the club has had 'a positive' response from several new players they are keen to sign.

The departure of Gregory Tade and Greg Tansey and the fact that Jonny Hayes' agent today says he will sign for Aberdeen have created spaces in the squad that manager Terry Butcher is already making progress on filling.

"Terry and Maurice Malpas have been working hard on prospective targets as we wait to see if our remaining out of contract players accept their new offers", said Cameron.

"I cannot say too much at this stage as potential incoming players are still under contract elsewhere, but several of them have responded in a very positive manner to our initial approaches and we are quietly confident of new arrivals.

"The number of new faces we require will depend on how many of our out of contract players decide to leave. But our management team are pulling out all the stops to ensure we have adequate cover for all positions."

story here: http://ictfc.com/new...are-on-the-way-

This season really is a make or break season for us IMO and we really need to assemble a squad capable of firstly remaining in the SPL but also hopefully challenging for mid-table.

Talking to players under contract?? Think league of Ireland is coming into mid season transfer window. Window opens tomorrow in Kenya and I think France season finishes soon. I suppose also that some players may be contracted in UK till end August.

I didnt really think about that part too much Alex but you bring up a very good point.

If a players contract expires this summer then surely any club would be able to speak to that player 6 months ago? Someone correct me if i am wrong

Talking to players under contract?? Think league of Ireland is coming into mid season transfer window. Window opens tomorrow in Kenya and I think France season finishes soon. I suppose also that some players may be contracted in UK till end August.

Players in Scotland/England will also still be under contract until May 31st in most cases but free to talk since Christmas if they are in the last year of contract .... English window is already open as far as I know as it starts at "end of season". the Scottish (and France, Germany, Italy & Spain) window officially open on July 1st, Denmark on 11 June, Australia on 1st June, Holland on 9th June. MLS mid-season window opens on 27 June, and as mentioned Kenya opens on Friday. lots of options, but the club can still talk to out of contract players across Europe anytime, its just the actual transfer date that might be up in the air if the contract is still to expire.

I will stick my neck out here with one player name I think could do a job for ICT. Nana Attakora. 23 year old centre half, 31 caps at U17-U23 level, 3 full Canadian caps, not currently with a club, but registration may still be held by San Jose or MLS itself (its complicated). Had a trial at Hibs last year which was extended and Hibs fans seemed pleased with him. Not sure if he was offered a contract or not, but he was offered one in Germany but rejected it and decided to go back to MLS ...... after half a season without a club in MLS (and therefore with little or no wages unless he is drawing a basic salary from the organisation itself) he may be of a different mindset now and I know from personal experience of watching him in a significant number of his 68 appearances for Toronto FC that when paired with the correct partner he can be an excellent defender. Wages wise, he might be affordable too as his last published salary in MLS was $45000 which is about £30,000 per year or a little under £600 per week !!!

• Agree 1

If we're going to sign a promising young player lets not make the same old mistake of a 1 year contract. Sick and tired of quality players leaving for nothing every season. When's the last time we got a decent transfer fee for anyone?

While I would also like to see longer contracts being handed out I think we have to accept that with the current financial state of Scottish football coupled with the wider economic situation that we will not be seeing any players (unless they have a proven track record) being offered longer deals. Having said that I cannot see us being able to afford any players with a proven track record, so I recon it will be one year deals for the time being.

On the topic of new faces and having no money, I think that Rangers should be made to give us one of their young players in place of the £40,000 they owe us... seems fair.

While I partially agree about needing to offer longer contracts and lack of transfer fee revenue, it seems that throughout football unless its a world class star then nobody is paying fee's - I cant remember (apart from the OF) the last SPL club to pay a transfer fee and only real memories last year was Goodwillie leaving D Utd? Danger offering a longer deal is that 'if' we got relegated we could have too high a wage bill and be unable to slash costs, the other option is to put caveats in the contract about reduced salaries if relegated but lots of players (most) wont sign up to that.

The situation drives us to 1 year deals and hope some players decide to remain loyal for longer.

The positive is in the market that there will be a larger number of players to pick from as more clubs are in the same boat - I know we have a salary structure and after Marius dont want to create issues messing about with it, but given the current state I'd like to see a gamble where higher wages are paid to certain players like Hayes, or tyring for Black (as an example) and hope they stay fit with more youngsters as back up or lower league players - takie the gamble on having the best 11 possible then the back-ups will be average.

If we're going to sign a promising young player lets not make the same old mistake of a 1 year contract. Sick and tired of quality players leaving for nothing every season. When's the last time we got a decent transfer fee for anyone?

While I would also like to see longer contracts being handed out I think we have to accept that with the current financial state of Scottish football coupled with the wider economic situation that we will not be seeing any players (unless they have a proven track record) being offered longer deals. Having said that I cannot see us being able to afford any players with a proven track record, so I recon it will be one year deals for the time being.

On the topic of new faces and having no money, I think that Rangers should be made to give us one of their young players in place of the £40,000 they owe us... seems fair.

No thanks..........some of us still remember the one they gave us a few years ago.

While I partially agree about needing to offer longer contracts and lack of transfer fee revenue, it seems that throughout football unless its a world class star then nobody is paying fee's - I cant remember (apart from the OF) the last SPL club to pay a transfer fee and only real memories last year was Goodwillie leaving D Utd? Danger offering a longer deal is that 'if' we got relegated we could have too high a wage bill and be unable to slash costs, the other option is to put caveats in the contract about reduced salaries if relegated but lots of players (most) wont sign up to that.

The situation drives us to 1 year deals and hope some players decide to remain loyal for longer.

The positive is in the market that there will be a larger number of players to pick from as more clubs are in the same boat - I know we have a salary structure and after Marius dont want to create issues messing about with it, but given the current state I'd like to see a gamble where higher wages are paid to certain players like Hayes, or tyring for Black (as an example) and hope they stay fit with more youngsters as back up or lower league players - takie the gamble on having the best 11 possible then the back-ups will be average.

How would you suggest subsidising that gamble? Overdraft? Dont pay the taxman? Chuck the bills in the bottom drawer? Administration? CVA? Liquidation? Newco?

How would you suggest subsidising that gamble? Overdraft? Dont pay the taxman? Chuck the bills in the bottom drawer? Administration? CVA? Liquidation? Newco?

None of the above. Have a baseline and for example pay 1 player 50% above that and to counter it have another 50% below. For example if we pay a baseline (not putting a cap) average of £1500 pw (I have no idea of the figures) - we pay a top player £2250 and a youth or reserve player £750 pw. But ensure we do that based on the first 11 that we would want to play - yes it creates a bigger gulf between the top 11 earners and the rest but prehaps there is no choice?

Edited by bdu98196

None of the above. Have a baseline and for example pay 1 player 50% above that and to counter it have another 50% below. For example if we pay a baseline (not putting a cap) average of £1500 pw (I have no idea of the figures) - we pay a top player £2250 and a youth or reserve player £750 pw. But ensure we do that based on the first 11 that we would want to play - yes it creates a bigger gulf between the top 11 earners and the rest but prehaps there is no choice?

I think this is an idea worth considering/exploring as it also has the incentive for those earning £750 per week to prove themselves and earn the higher figure. Good motivation if nothing else.

Players in Scotland/England will also still be under contract until May 31st in most cases but free to talk since Christmas if they are in the last year of contract .... English window is already open as far as I know as it starts at "end of season". the Scottish (and France, Germany, Italy & Spain) window officially open on July 1st, Denmark on 11 June, Australia on 1st June, Holland on 9th June. MLS mid-season window opens on 27 June, and as mentioned Kenya opens on Friday. lots of options, but the club can still talk to out of contract players across Europe anytime, its just the actual transfer date that might be up in the air if the contract is still to expire.

I will stick my neck out here with one player name I think could do a job for ICT. Nana Attakora. 23 year old centre half, 31 caps at U17-U23 level, 3 full Canadian caps, not currently with a club, but registration may still be held by San Jose or MLS itself (its complicated). Had a trial at Hibs last year which was extended and Hibs fans seemed pleased with him. Not sure if he was offered a contract or not, but he was offered one in Germany but rejected it and decided to go back to MLS ...... after half a season without a club in MLS (and therefore with little or no wages unless he is drawing a basic salary from the organisation itself) he may be of a different mindset now and I know from personal experience of watching him in a significant number of his 68 appearances for Toronto FC that when paired with the correct partner he can be an excellent defender. Wages wise, he might be affordable too as his last published salary in MLS was $45000 which is about £30,000 per year or a little under £600 per week !!!

Do the club a favour Scotty and email TB with this info or we'll be in the same dung as last year.

Praise when praise is due folks - at least the communication channels between the club and the support are well and truly open - and with a lot of apparent honesty and "upfrontness". I suspect that the praise probably goes to Kenny Cameron and I also suspect that the catalyst has been the CTO posters. The McKay deal should open doors fer others and isnt a 12 month one.

Faces or faeces? Not sure if there's a typo in the thread title or not

I'm just anticipating the next batch of loanee diddies from England to arrive

Dougal

Good to see your optimism Dougal!! I take it you didn't appreciate David Davis and Roman Golobart then? Personally I'd be delighted to welcome a similar batch of "loanee diddies".

• Agree 1

Praise when praise is due folks - at least the communication channels between the club and the support are well and truly open - and with a lot of apparent honesty and "upfrontness". I suspect that the praise probably goes to Kenny Cameron and I also suspect that the catalyst has been the CTO posters. The McKay deal should open doors fer others and isnt a 12 month one.

I take that all back - it was yet another feckin smoke screen :shrug02:

Faces or faeces? Not sure if there's a typo in the thread title or not

I'm just anticipating the next batch of loanee diddies from England to arrive

Dougal

Good to see your optimism Dougal!! I take it you didn't appreciate David Davis and Roman Golobart then? Personally I'd be delighted to welcome a similar batch of "loanee diddies".

Ok Davis was quality but let's face it he didn't have ICT at heart he was here for limited game practice which is not good for team spirit

I'll admit Golobart had good games but he was prone to big bombscare mistakes and the fact that he was behind Gary Caldwell in the pecking order at Wigan says it all to me

Dougal