FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

What was the Meekings red card for?  Did he injure anyone?  Did he stop a goalscoring opportunity?  Threw a leg out.  Gave Hearts a bit of a respite to time-waste and no-one struggled to carry on?  Stupid, yes. But that's a yellow card.  Plenty of worse tackles.

I think they call it serious foul play

Serious foul play is that cheat John Beaton thinking he is actually a referee

Looking at it from behind (and left of) the goal, I said "he's off" immediately.  A few others around me knew it too.  I don't know exactly what he saw, but in this case, from his angle, we thought he reasonably thought it was a red card (I reserve the right to change my opinion once I've seen it on TV).  I still think that Beaton, and to a lesser degree, the far side assistant, were a wee bit pish.

Now that I've been home for a while, had a chance to grab a couple of beers and carefully reflect upon today's history making events, all I can really think of before going to bed shortly is

CheeringFan.gif

• Agree 1

Really don't see what the ref has done wrong . Don't see Aberdeen having any problem with either of the teams in the final.

I know I'm replying to you with an 11 hour delay George, but F*** right off, and please post a picture and your address.

• Agree 1

Devine wasn't the right sub.  Goal difference won't count at the end.  If you're behind in a cup semi, throw everything at getting an equaliser.

You started off so well with the team selection, but you've just gone downhill since then.  :-(  :-)

Had a fantastic night in the Caley club :-) the majority of the team turned up :-)

The atmosphere was Brill (pardon the pun & yes he was there too )

We all watched the highlights on sport scene , almost raised the roof when we saw our goals

FANTASTIC !!!!!!!!

Really don't see what the ref has done wrong . Don't see Aberdeen having any problem with either of the teams in the final.

I know I'm replying to you with an 11 hour delay George, but F*** right off, and please post a picture and your address.

Don't waste your time or energy on his posts - just ignore them. he's a Celtic supporter and local 'businessman' in Alloa, who trolls football forums. Google his name - there's plenty of stuff, including his address (!) and stories of how he tried to help his local team beat Rangers!

What was the Meekings red card for?  Did he injure anyone?  Did he stop a goalscoring opportunity?  Threw a leg out.  Gave Hearts a bit of a respite to time-waste and no-one struggled to carry on?  Stupid, yes. But that's a yellow card.  Plenty of worse tackles.

I think they call it serious foul play

Serious foul play is that cheat John Beaton thinking he is actually a referee

Looking at it from behind (and left of) the goal, I said "he's off" immediately.  A few others around me knew it too.  I don't know exactly what he saw, but in this case, from his angle, we thought he reasonably thought it was a red card (I reserve the right to change my opinion once I've seen it on TV).  I still think that Beaton, and to a lesser degree, the far side assistant, were a wee bit pish.

Agree with that at the time but don't think it was a red after seeing it on the tv! A yellow would have been appropriate. Ref was awful IMHO....

What a game! The greatest comeback I think I've ever witnessed from us. We were by far the better side before Warren's harsh red and apart from the two goals hearts didn't threaten and we still probably edged it with 10 men. I think the Meeking's decision was probably the right one as he was going for the man not the ball. Coming back from that though was amazing and all the players were brilliant in extra time and it was great to see so many good penalties! What a win.

• Agree 1

Haven't seen any papers yet, so what are today's back page headlines? Do we get a mention or is it all about Lennon?

Noticed on BBC Gossip :

Hearts goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald is furious that referee John Beaton did not penalise Caley Thistle for a handball in the build up to their stoppage-time equaliser in a dramatic Easter Road semi-final. (Daily Record)

Yes the ball hit off Doran's hand but it clearly wasn't deliberate.

Just watched the You Tube video of the penalties and it looks like Danny Wilson came over during the celebrations to congratulate the Inverness team.

Reminds me of the film Zulu. 

Our vastly outnumbered troops repel attack after attack, and then the natives approach one more time but this time to honour the bravery of the defending forces.

Could only have been better if we'd sang Men of Harlech!

Haven't seen any papers yet, so what are today's back page headlines? Do we get a mention or is it all about Lennon?

Noticed on BBC Gossip :

Hearts goalkeeper Jamie MacDonald is furious that referee John Beaton did not penalise Caley Thistle for a handball in the build up to their stoppage-time equaliser in a dramatic Easter Road semi-final. (Daily Record)

Yes the ball hit off Doran's hand but it clearly wasn't deliberate.

It's not even close to being a handball.

One interesting point is that 9 versus 11 actually worked in our favour because Hearts always seemed to provide 4 markers for Billy.      That meant we had 8 ICT players against 7 Hearts players and has resulted in significant abuse by the Jambos for both Locke and Brown. Billy was actually quite remarkable as a team player because he held the ball up so well for the 126 minutes and worked his socks off as did every player. Having seen the tackle on him in the first 5 minutes, I find it a dreadful career threatening one which only seemed to draw a yellow when we complained. 

We were Beaton by the referee, but not by nature.

• Agree 1

Still in the capital and still half cut. My train not till the afternoon so a greasy breakfast and a hair of the dog pint for me.

Amazing game something we might never experience again what with going down to ten men and neither were red cards

Other than the numbers we took down there was no negatives other than the two sending offs but surely we can see if the can be overturned if we appeal both

Anyway I'm off for that pint

God bless us

Dougal

Went through every emotion possible yesterday and was definitely was of the lads who thought it was all over after the unbelievable turn of events as Warren went and them going in front. Couldn't believe what i was seeing. I did say to my bro that Warren will need to watch himself as he was giving away a few fouls after his early yellow but the yellow he got to go off...all i can say is wtf was that referee seeing! Meekings straight red was no more than a yellow. It was obviously out of frustration but never a red card when you take into consideration the players positions on the pitch and the challenge itself never asking for the red. Ross's equalizer is one of those moments you will never forget though, it was amazing and against all odds. Then came extra time and all i can say is that we proved that it was us that should be in the final, Hearts really failed to step up and equally showed they didn't deserve anything. Some game lads, some day i will never forget. 

• Agree 1

I am surprised that, looking back, Stevenson never took a penalty for Hearts.

Meekings straight red was no more than a yellow. It was obviously out of frustration but never a red card when you take into consideration the players positions on the pitch and the challenge itself never asking for the red.

The position of the players on the pitch are largely irrelevant for this type of foul / sending off. Regardless, I think it was harsh.

Edited by RiG