Sign in to follow this  
Kingsmills

Dunain House

Never mind the Grand National - what about the Craig Dunain Races ?

To split hairs, these horse racing events too place at "Dunain" which is roughly between Dunain House and the Canal maybe a couple of miles south of the Torven Bridge. In fact, I do believe I can see a sliver of Craig Dunain on the left of the photo. Some of it is overgrown now, but there used to be quite a large expanse of flat, open land there. It was good for horse racing which went back at least to the early 19th century, and I do believe that equine activities still take place in that area.

Back in the 1830s a bizarre gathering was held at Dunain where the events included a cross country race for naked men and pulling the legs off a live cow which had been stunned by a blow to the head with a sledgehammer.

Some people are rather embarrassed at a completely vacuous attempt by the current organisers of the Inverness Highland Games to trace its origins of that back to this cringeworthy assembly.

Incredible pitchers IHE. 

Incredible. What a lovely hallway at the entrance there.

What? ............Oh no, I was not referring to the spittoons, old chap,  just the lovely colourful images.

If you didn't have a psychiatric problem when you entered the building, the colour scheme certainly ensured you had one after.

I had many a good meal dished from here despite the text

Lunacy (Scotland) Act.... Northern Counties District Lunatic Asylum.... not a lot of political correctness around in these days!

Call a spade a spade. eh? Charlie.

But since a spade  in North America) is another name for a black person, perhaps we are walking a thin line there.