FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Inverness CT -V- Cowdenbeath - Scottish Cup

tm4tj

STFU sums it up well.  

The person I feel sorry for is Harry Lodovica if the manager thinks Sheridan is a better starting option than him.  Sheridan was dreadful and makes Andy Barrowman (remember him?) seem like a club legend in comparison.  

But it was poor all round.  I can't remember ever seeing so many misplaced passes.  At times it seemed the ball was only passed forwards when the pass back looked too risky.  It was absolutely dire.  Thank goodness for Wotherspoon and Mckay who showed touches of real quality late on to give us a win we didn't deserve.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Showed them too much respect for 75-80 minutes. They were so bad I can't believe we persevered with such a pedestrian pass it around and across the back for so long. Tempo never got high enough to trouble them and we failed to create enough clear chances. 

Felt sorry for Brooks in the first half as he was holding his line for runs so many times but the pass always went back or sideways. 

Despite changes throughout the side I felt that midfield suffered the most.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yep, dire stuff for most of the game with fringe players showing why they are such.  Fortunately for us Cowden were pretty toothless, But wait a mo... so were ICT!    Jeez it was a hard watch, Shortknob played so many passes straight back into defence or even Mackay in goal.

Delaney looked rusty, very rusty and I still don't rate Duffy very much. 

Our front two Brooks and Sheriden had so little to work with, with mostly shocking passing from our midfield, that God we had some quality to enter the fray and get the win with 2 great goals.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Duke of Inverness said:

First game this season as did not renew season ticket and was sick of Dodds s##t tactics, Robbo and his taking the p##s, still want Gardiner out though.

But as Meatloaf said, "Two out of three ain't bad".

Wow that was awful. One of the worst games I've ever suffered. If that's supposed to be an improvement on Doddsball, I don't agree. 

• Like 1

That was a hard watch. Cowdenbeath more than matched us until the triple change. Ferguson will have learn’t a lot about some players.

Two great goals put an artificial gloss on a poor performance.

I’ll cut Welsh some slack as he is still building up fitness after so little game time, and he made one magnificent cross field pass to Shaw. Delaney and Sheridan were the worst of the bunch, with most players guilty of slack passing and poor control in general.

It could have been different if our two early chances had gone in, one cleared off the line and one resulting in a good save. However, we didn’t kick on at all, reverting to square and backwards passing with little movement or threat. When we got scoring chances, we tended to pass rather than shoot when a shooting opportunity was on.

After the break, Brooks had a tame effort and Sheridan should have had two easy goals but messed up the opportunities.

Thank goodness we stepped up several gears when Mckay and Wotherspoon came on. We need to get Wotherspoon tied up for longer.

Of the starting eleven, I’m struggling as to who get pass marks. Maybe Shaw and Ujdur but that would be about it. Brooks and Longstaff worked very hard but without damaging Cowdenbeath.

Raith next week now worries me. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 hours since that game ended and I am still shocked by that performance.These last few weeks everyone has been upbeat,but that today was like back in the Dodds era.Every player was poor in first half.The midfield were poor I thought for the 70 minutes and im afraid Sheridan has to hang up his boots.

At least Dunc will have a good idea who needs to move on in January.

Concerning, that after our first 11,these are the next line.

Welsh was also very poor.

Edited by Douglas Mackenzie
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Douglas Mackenzie said:

Dreadul watch and I thought our front two in the first 70 were very poor.

Id say we got out of Jail.

Brooks was OK still very young and needs to develop before we see the player he can be. Sheridan on the other hand was poor had a clear cut chance and he pulled the trigger way too late. In all fairness the service from midfield wasn't the best

Edited by Super Caley Man 94
  • Agree 3

I agree with others that was more difficult than expected probably due to a number of factors; not least of which was a fairly disjointed performance. Without the introduction of Wotherspoon and McKay it had nil nil written all over it; got to be a worry that 🤔 However still unbeaten under Dunc and in the draw for the next round. I would imagine the upcoming game against Raith will provide a better barometer of the current status. So not overly concerned but maybe a reminder that there is still a lot of work to do. Let’s hope we get a good support to get behind the team for the Raith game. Winning that game would do a lot of good for everyone 🤩

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Oferesbumfiddle said:

My god Welsh is pony can’t believe he was our club captain. Him and Delaney were absolutely dire

Bet harsh on Welsh he has spent a long time injured this season. Delaney has no excuse apart from match sharpness so totally agree with you on that 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I woke up at half time and had been dreaming Billy Dodds was back :ohmy: then I heard that someone had a coupon on for us to win 8 - 0 :crazy:  it was a strange afternoon with the last ten minutes seeing good football and us scoring two good goals.  At least we are through to the next round and Big Dunc will know who to play next week!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

The positives today are that we got to rest some first team players, give game time to fringe players, and most importantly, we are in tomorrow night’s draw. Dundee Utd aren’t and nor are Arbroath. Dick Campbell gone after 7 years (feels like he’s been there forever!). Wonder if Dodds or Robbo will be interested in that vacancy?

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Devine was the captain today despite Welsh starting.

Is Welsh no longer the club captain?

In his absence, Mckay has normally been the captain.

With Welsh unlikely to have been on the park the whole game (Ferguson said post match he got longer than intended) and needing to focus on his own return, and Billy not starting, then I don't think there's anything to read into it.

Edited by STFU
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, STFU said:

With Welsh unlikely to have been on the park the whole game (Ferguson said post match he got longer than intended) and needing to focus on his own return, and Billy not starting, then I don't think there's anything to read into it.

I agree, but it did seem a strange one.

I think Mckay has handled being captain well but Devine had one of his poorer games today, particularly a 10 minute spell in the first half when he kept giving away possession.

Anyway, job done (albeit in a very unconvincing manner) and we are in the last 32, unlike Dundee United, Dunfermline, Queens Park and manager-less Arbroath. At least we will be saved Dick and Ian Campbell’s antics when we play Arbroath next month. 

• Like 1

That was a very hard watch on a very cold day, with very little for the supporters to get excited about. I couldn't believe how pedestrian we were for most of that game, I thought we would have come charging out of the blocks and the fringe players would all be up for impressing big Dunc. Instead we played slow safe passes across the back four and back again, unless the pass to the keeper was not on. If Ferguson was wanting to see what the squad players can do, he will have found out that they are not going to worry the guys currently in the first eleven, especially the front two, who were toothless all the time they were on. Sheridan had two great chances to score, but took far too long to try and get a shot off, and the chances were gone. It was only when the subs were introduced that we looked like we'd do something, and we did. In my humble opinion, I thought we could have started with our best team, try and score a couple of goals, and then take the fringe playes on. I know that Cowdenbeath didn't have a shot on goal, but it could have just taken a slip at a corner, before the subs, and we might have been chasing a goal to save embarrassment. 

The next round will be interesting. I am of the opinion that I would always want to lowest ranked team in the draw, while others might want one of the big hitters. Whoever we get, we will have to play our strongest team, to make sure we have the best chance of getting through.

• Agree 4

On 11/24/2023 at 6:31 PM, The Mantis said:

I think benching 4 or 5 from last week is a decent compromise as opposed to playing a team of youngsters as was suggested. Sean Welsh has to start and probably Duffy. If we’re not well ahead after an hour then get Billy and Spoony on but let a couple of the young players e.g. Longstaff or Brooks have a go. 

Called it, more or less 😂 
Don’t like missing ICT in the cup but sounded like a good one to miss. Stayed local, a few pints in the Guildford then took in Dick Campbell’s final game as Spartans knocked out a woeful Arbroath. Demos by the fans at the end and Dick has fallen on his, ehhh, bunnet. Bring on the Rovers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• tm4tj unpinned this topic