FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Phil O'Donnell

Ritchie Sacramento

I'm sure every fan will support the following post that I have put on Firparkcorner.com.

On behalf of all the fans of Inverness Caledonian Thistle may I express our deepest and sincerest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Phill O'Donnell. Also to Motherwell FC and their fans.

Phill was a true professional and ambassador to the sport and he will be sorely missed in the game.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TinCanFan

I'm sure every fan will support the following post that I have put on Firparkcorner.com.

On behalf of all the fans of Inverness Caledonian Thistle may I express our deepest and sincerest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Phill O'Donnell. Also to Motherwell FC and their fans.

Phill was a true professional and ambassador to the sport and he will be sorely missed in the game.

I'm sure ever single ICT fan will agree with your comment.

:010: Condolences to friends and family.  Completely shocked by this, only 35 and I can only assume fully fit.  Reminds me of Marc-Vivien Foe.  A truely sad day.

That was one of my first toughts, it was a complete shock as it was  with Mark when it was on live tv. Sad day for scottish football, Motherwell and his family and friends.

a tragedy like this transcends club loyalties, truly a sad day, comisserations to his family and friends though nothing can replace their loss

I was a ManCity season ticket holder when Marc Viven Foe died at the Confederation Cup, the response from fans of other clubs was amazing. Tributes by the thousand arrived from ManU, L'pool and the London clubs. For a brief period we were all thinking the same thoughts.

Worrying that it seems to be a recurring tragedy amongst sportspeople

A minutes silence hardly seems enough in the circumstances

RIP

From what I had heard on the radio he had had some kind of seizure before/when he was subbed. He was treated on the pitch and then received more medical attention off it. However, tragically, they could not save his life.

Thoughts are with Phils family and friends at this terrible time.

Rest in peace Phil.

?Tragedy?, what a common football word.

Today there was tragedy.

Poor Phil, one of the talents of our game has gone and we are the poorer tonight.

Phil was a player that was to admired for his skill, not least for those late runs into the box to score so many goals in his career.

It was such a shame that recurring injury problems dimmed such a bright talent. At times this denied the fans of his teams the pleasure of watching a great talent on display.

But today his sudden death has forever snatched him away from his friends and family.

My heart goes out to those close to him, they truly are in my thoughts in this dark night.

I take some comfort from knowing that Phil was doing what he loved, and was close to those whom he loved, at the time of his premature death. I hope, eventually, that his family and friends can take some strength from this too.

Sincere condolances to Motherwell FC, and all who knew this fine young man.

Setanta's SPL highlights show this evening started with Delahunt  announcing of the sad news, Davie Hay then made a few comments about O'Donnell's career and then the rest of the slot was a tribute to Luis Figo. A slightly bizarre but well intended gesture I'm sure.

Puts it all into perspective. There are bigger things in this life than football.

I celebrated our lad's victory at the match against Kilmarnock this afternoon but the news of Phil O'Donnel overshadows our result. Phil was a true professional and his passing is a great loss for Scottish football and for Scotland. He will be missed.

taken from the motherwell page...

Now in his second spell at the club, Phil O'Donnell (or Uncle Phil as he is affectionately known as these days, being David Clarkson's uncle and all) was originally a product of the Bobby Jenks highly successful youth development programme in the late 80's and early 90's.

During an injury crisis in the 1990'91 campaign Phil was given a debut in an unfamiliar left-back role against St Mirren. Aged just 17 it was a tough debut against the vastly experienced Kenny McDowall but O'Donnell came through it well. So much so that several weeks later manager Tommy McLean had sufficient faith in him to give Phil a start in the midfield when Motherwell visited Ibrox on league business. For the next few seasons he would rarely be out of the side, or out of the headlines too for that matter!

O'Donnell retained his place as Motherwell crept up the table and as the march to Hampden picked up momentum. He played his part in bringing the Cup home to Fir Park and etched his name into Motherwell folklore by netting the third goal in 'Well's famous 4-3 triumph over Dundee Utd at Hampden in the Final.

The following season saw the Steelmen compete in Europe for the first time and Phil became the youngster player to represent Motherwell in a European Competition when he lined up to take on Polish outfit GKS Katowice in the Cup Winners Cup!

Despite the club being on something of a downward spiral after the Cup win, Phil continued to impress and his stature was growing in the game. A regular in the Scotland U21 squad he helped the club turn the corner and when relegation seemed a distinct possibility in season 92'93. Marooned at the foot of the table in early December, 'Well managed to scramble to safety ensuring their top flight status in the penultimate game of the season.

Phil's last full season before moving on saw him benefit enormously from playing in one of Motherwell's finest teams in years. Ably assisted in midfield by the likes of Paul Lambert, Jamie Dolan, Stevie Kirk and briefly Billy Davies, O'Donnell had a fantastic season as Motherwell finished in third place just a season avoiding the drop.

His excellent form resulted in earning his first and what amazingly turned out to be his last international cap when he was selected in Scotland's World Cup Qualifier against Switzerland at Pittodrie.

Speculation was rife that like manager Tommy McLean who had by now moved on, Phil would depart the club in the summer of 1994. In actual fact new Motherwell boss Alex McLeish made it to the start of the campaign without losing his prize asset, but the season was barely a month old when finally O'Donnell moved on.

Tommy Burns had only just taken over as Celtic boss and was desperate make a signing that would capture the imagination of the Celtic fans. In the end he had to shell out ?1.75 million to snare one of the countries hottest properties. Despite playing in just over a hundred games for Celtic, his spell in the East End of Glasgow was marred by several long-term injuries. This not only hampered his time at Celtic but also his Scotland career which never ever got started at Parkhead.

thoughts with his family, friends and all connected with motherwell...