FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Portugal To Win It?

After seeing Portugal comfortably dispatch of Turkey, who are no mugs, I am thinking of changing my prediction of Spain winning Euro 08.  Portugal hit the woodwork 3 times and looked very slick.  I suspect that there will be a fair few bets on them tommorrow, and I might join them.

Portugal and Romania are very alike, both one-man shows (ronaldo and ......marius of course).

With France notoriously slow starters and Italy missing a couple of key players this could be anyones tournament, but I am now fancying Portugal to sneak it. 

However i am open to persuasion...

Portugal did miss chances but they did defend but I'm no convinced.

I think Germany will be in the final.

Germany are in an easy group.

but Spain might just have the edge.

I still haven't decided??

The bookies would love you to put money on Portugal, theyve been ramping them for ages now as they know the mugs will back any game Ronaldo plays in.

He is a luxury player, when his team is playing well he shines, when they are not he goes missing.  He isnt a leader on the park the way Drogba or Messi are (if we're talking about one man teams at their level then these are the best two examples), he cannot take a game by the scruff of the neck out of nothing or dictate play.

I'm not saying he isnt a match winner but he cant be relied upon, Turkey are the weakest sides in the competition this year after the hosts, I expected Portugal to press on against them but it never happened.

DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE, PLEASE!

He is a luxury player, when his team is playing well he shines, when they are not he goes missing.  He isnt a leader on the park the way Drogba or Messi are (if we're talking about one man teams at their level then these are the best two examples), he cannot take a game by the scruff of the neck out of nothing or dictate play.

Ronaldo a luxury? You're having a laugh aren't you?  42 goals last season. Some luxury. How many did Drogba get?  OK I know he'd get a few more if he stayed on his feet for more than a few seconds at a time, but I know who I'd rather have in any team of mine.  That said, I don't expect Portugal to win Euro 2008, but they will do well.

Wasnt that impressed with Portugal to be honest .... I will say that Pepe's goal was well worked but it came from an extremely bad Turkish pass rather than inspired play and the second at 90+3 was a result of Turkey pushing forward to try and get something from the game ........

From what I saw, POrtugal came close on about 4 occasions in the second half alone.  However ill be waiting to see how the other big guns perform before placing my bets.

Heard yesterday that from the way the tournament is structured, that Germany won't meet Italy, France, Holland etc until the final, as they play in groups c + d while the germans are playing in group b.  :024: :024:

Funny how the younger ones havent gained the realisation that Spain ALWAYS fall flat on their faces after much promise at tournaments. Ad be suprised if they get past Quarter Finals!