Sweden v Spain

Greece v Russia

Round 3

Greece v Spain

Russia v Sweden

Results

Spain 4 v 1 Russia

Greece v Sweden

Spain - it's their year again surely? Looking at their squad you would have to think so. One of the best keepers in the world, a tough tackling rear guard who weigh in with their fair share of goals, a midfield who could pass their way through a cheese grater and a front line which normally only appears in Football Manager games. Expect a midfield three of Xavi, Senna and Fabregas. Senna will protect the back four while Cesc and Xavi will have licence to push forward and support the front three which is likely to start off as Torres, Iniesta and Silva. Both Iniesta and Silva can drop back to return to the midfield and pack it in as a five man midfield should they come under pressure but they will be the ones to look for as Spain counter. Silva especially is one to look out for. If Torres misfires then David Villa will come on to add to the goal threat.

The holders, Greece, arrive having topped their group in qualifying. I'm not even going to pretend I know anything about the Greeks because I don't. So if anyone does then feel free to clue us all in  :003:

Russia qualified at the expense of England ( laugh.gif ) and will fancy their chances of getting through to the next round. The well known Arshavin is suspended for the first two games so it remains to be seen of Hiddink plays with two up front in his 3 - 5 - 2 formation or if another player replaces in Arshavin in the same withdrawn forward role that he typically occupies thus making him essentially a 6th midfield man.

Sweden were boosted with Larsson deciding to come out of international retirement and he is likely to partner Ibrahimovi? up front. Tobias Linderoth will act as the anchor man in midfield with Wilhelmsson and Ljungberg providing the attacking threat down the side with K?llstr?m completing the 4 man midfield. Recent Juventus Mellberg will command the back line and I think Sweden look a good beat to reach the 2nd round.

Spain 4 v 1 Russia

Villa has been outstanding. Some brilliant finishing showing why the biggest teams in Europe want him. Iniesta seems to have struggled to shake off the virus that hampered his preparation for the game. Ridiculous amount of "bumming up" of Torres and Fabregas by Lawrenson and Pearce at the minute. Russia have been a huge let down. Missing Arshavin badly. As I typed that Russia score and cost me points for my dream team! Good header there. Spain have gotten a 4th with a Cesc header.

Guest Calum-Red-an-Blue

Greece were a big dissapointment, they offered very little up front in the 90 mins, but it was kyriakos in defence who really let them down as he was the main man at fult for both the goals conceded, i can see them going out in the group stages easily,  :33:

but lets not take the credit away from sweden they scored a spectatular goal and even when in a more defensive style got a second, which they will know was lucky :blah01: they should beat russia and qualify for the next round, but i am not sure they have what it takes to sweep up the mess that comes out of group c in the knockout stages :024:

I really hoped Greece would lose last night.  Passing the ball about the back 3 making no attempt to go forward is not big and not clever.  If that wasn't their biggest fault, then surely playing that whinging idiot, Samaras was...  :014: