New Manager

Pele_Is_God

23 minutes ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

From watching Brechin, only on TV, in their play off final, I'd be inclined to give Darren Dods a go.

But, whoever it is, I hope the new board is sensible enough NOT to award the new guy with a 4 year contract.

I wouldn't judge Brechin on that game. I've been to a few Brechin games this season including both play off final matches and that was by far the best I've seen them play. However Darren has done pretty well on a very tight budget so I wouldn't be disappointed if he ended up at ICT. He's unlikely to do any better with Brechin so would probably be looking to move to further his managerial career.

It has got to be someone the players will look up to, someone with a proven record at premier level or above, someone who can motivate the team and the club.

we don't want to be languishing in the lower leagues, one season down is all we dare afford if we want to regain our true status.

Should the Board select  the level of Paul Sheeren or Darren Dodds then A director of football is a must and the selection for that post is equally difficult. The Board now has it's work cut out to find a person or persons that will kick start a new beginning to Inverness C T bringing innovation and success by the end of season 2017/18 and restore the faith of the supporters and attract a larger following for the Club in the future.

A big ask but that is the way forward and it is possible given the commitment by the right people.

• Agree 2

40 minutes ago, Caman said:

Paul Telfer - Interesting and different. He appears to be a free agent as such on Googling him. 

By my understanding, Telfer came with some very good references (one from Martin O'Neill as I recall) and interviewed very well, hence why he got into the final round of interviews when Butcher went.  Apparently as well, he was manager of Sutton United in everything but name as the owner at that time wanted to keep the manager title for himself.  I think he'd suit us actually.

Edited by Renegade

I want Butcher back realistically can't see it happening. Someone like Eric Black or Kevin MacDonald who are from this neck of the woods and have big contacts down south. Similar to Butcher, they can attract the quality needed to get us out if this mess

3 minutes ago, Renegade said:

By my understanding, Telfer came with some very good references (one from Martin O'Neill as I recall) and interviewed very well, hence why he got into the final round of interviews when Butcher went.  Apparently as well, he was manager of Sutton United in everything but name as the owner at that time wanted to keep the manager title for himself.  I think he'd suit us actually.

Out of interest, what has Telfer done since then? 

I don't know for sure, but I am heartened that there appear to be some quality candidates to choose from. The usual question will raise its head - how many of these candidates want the job, and are willing to come to Inverness - that has been an issue in the past with both managers and players. But I believe we have a lot to offer an aspiring manager, so bring them on.

I think the club have to quickly decide what they want, an experienced management team who will obviously cost
more than an inexperienced team from the lower leagues or first time manager.

Personally I would not go for Christie, Wilson or Dods as all 3 are realitively inexperianced for a club that should have 
aspirations to finish mid table in the premier league. I believe we are at a similar level as say Dundee and none of the 
three mentioned would be in contention for that job.

Money will be the major factor in employing an experianced manager, but possibly a well written contract could sort that
ie there would be no compensation due if a bettter job came along. Alex Neil, Peter Houston, Paul Hartley, Alan Stubbs,
Jim Duffy, fall into that category.

We also need to improve the squad, Craig Brewster was a succesful player manager, and that could be a consideration,
(playermanager not Craig Brewster). A biggish name pm might also attract players, looking at players that come into that
age/ability bracket there would be pretty slim pickings. Clint Hill, Stephen Thomson, Kris Boyd (all ex-Rangers
but all I could think of at short notice). People who are in it for the experiance and not the money.

There is also be an opertunity to go completly mad and take a huge risk that might just pay off, what about approaching 
the like of Paul Gasgoine, cant believe Im actually suggesting it but the publicty and interest generated would be imense
and could be capitalised on.

The position we find ourselves in leaves no room for sentimentallity and Terry Butcher should be considered and wonder
Malphas comming back is a way of testing the water.

The Board seem pretty rudderless at the moment would the apointment of a director of football be worthwhile considering,
Gordon Smith, Alex Smith, Jim Duffy.

Sorry to see Ritchie Foran the person go, he gave his all and hopefully will be remembered as player rather than a manager. 
His intention was good in trying to develop John  Hughes possession football into a more attacking attractive product,
but it wasnt to be.

To me, as can be clearly seen from my ramblings, there is no obvious answer, but we are what we are. a team that consistantly
has to battle to stay afloat, let the battle continue. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 4

Just now, Agent N said:

I think the club have to quickly decide what they want, an experienced management team who will obviously cost

Personally I would not go for Christie, Wilson or Dods as all 3 are realitively inexperianced for a club that should have 
aspirations to finish mid table in the premier league. I believe we are at a similar level as say Dundee and none of the 

Money will be the major factor in employing an experianced manager, but possibly a well written contract could sort that
ie there would be no compensation due if a bettter job came along. Alex Neil, Peter Houston, Paul Hartley, Alan Stubbs,

We also need to improve the squad, Craig Brewster was a succesful player manager, and that could be a consideration,
(playermanager not Craig Brewster). A biggish name pm might also attract players, looking at players that come into that
age/ability bracket there would be pretty slim pickings. Clint Hill, Stephen Thomson, Kris Boyd (all ex-Rangers
but all I could think of at short notice). People who are in it for the experiance and not the money.

There is also be an opertunity to go completly mad and take a huge risk that might just pay off, what about approaching 
the like of Paul Gasgoine, cant believe Im actually suggesting it but the publicty and interest generated would be imense

The position we find ourselves in leaves no room for sentimentallity and Terry Butcher should be considered and wonder

The Board seem pretty rudderless at the moment would the apointment of a director of football be worthwhile considering,

Sorry to see Ritchie Foran the person go, he gave his all and hopefully will be remembered as player rather than a manager. 
His intention was good in trying to develop John  Hughes possession football into a more attacking attractive product,
but it wasnt to be.

To me, as can be clearly seen from my ramblings, there is no obvious answer, but we are what we are. a team that consistantly

Its a whos-who of nightmares listed here - missed off Walter, Jocky Scott and fat s-Ally just to make sure all the nightmare bingo card was completed

• Agree 5

Without going over old ground I posted weeks ago that we should have looked at the likes of Jack Ross or Darren Dods unfortunately I doubt Ross would be a viable or interested target now. While there are out of work options such as Hartley etc its whether they want the job because the club is of interest or they just need work.

Having an ICT connection isn't necessary but someone the players will respect and also a manager whit a playing style that suits our club and personnel. Experience is required but also has to have ambition to drive the club and themselves forwards - not just an institutionalised dinosaur with outdated ideas.

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic

John Hughes has left Raith and we now have a new chairman, so he could be in contention (although I imagine the conflict was between Hughes and the board as a whole rather tha Cameron specifically). I wouldn't grudge it but I know many would, and very unlikely he would move back up to the Highlands. 

Agree with others who have pointed out Terry Butcher knows how to attract players. Again it wouldn't be the most popular choice with the fans.

Peter Houstan has done a very good job at Falkirk and is a very experienced manager who would be respected by the players.

I've met Jack Ross and he's a likeable character who knows the game well, and would probably have the respect of the players.

Others have mentioned Sheerin, Telfer etc but I don't know enough about them. I think there's a good chance we'll bring in someone no one is expecting and hasn't been mentioned yet. Interesting summer ahead in many ways!

John Terry want to get into management , could be a player manager LOL only joking.

What is the situation with Malpas , I think he could be a good number 2 as he already proved with Butcher, and Strange the team performed better after he came back. Need to get rid of Rice if he is still here, but as for the Manager I don't know hopefully someone with experience

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, jingsmonty said:

We need a manager who wants to manage ICT :ictscarf:,as opposed to a manager looking for a job, if that makes sense?

We have just parted company with a manager who very much wanted to manage ICT. That's not the be all and end all. Ability and enthusiasm for the task while they are here are much more important.

• Agree 2

I think Peter Houston indeed is a solid performer. He certainly had Falkirk jildied up to face ICT in the Scottish cup final. Could be worth a chit chat.

Butcher was  a traitor who was definitely, in my humble opinion, in close contact with the Hibs Board BEFORE we even knew about it. Then he sat in the stand with their Directors before the plug was even pulled out fully.  No thank you.

John Hughes ...well he walked out in a huff it seems and his exit was far from non-controversial and did no particular good to ICT. Any future contract would have to include terms for repayment of the extra money he got for non-managing ICT immediately after his departure. ANd a stronger contract put in place between the parties to ensure that that situation did not happen again. Problem is that , generally speaking , a leopard does not change his spots .....eh?

• Agree 2

Apparently Dods has just signed a new 2 year contract at Brechin. It's a part time job so probably not too expensive to buy him out of but it suggests he's not desperately looking for something 'bigger' and probably makes him a less likely option.

11 hours ago, Agent N said:

but it wasnt to be.

We may not yet have a managerial short list but, even as early as May, that must be on the shortlist for worst post of the year !

• Agree 4

Considering our lack of football experience on the board I see our main priority as being an experienced guy as DOF who could mentor a "young" relatively inexperienced manager. Maybe Foran would have survived if this strategy was adopt

10 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

We have just parted company with a manager who very much wanted to manage ICT. That's not the be all and end all. Ability and enthusiasm for the task while they are here are much more important.

Fair enough, I wasn't necessarily meaning an ex-player (I'm probably as guilty as the rest for focusing on ex-players for the job),  I'm just saying that I don't want a manager who is only applying because they aren't wanted elsewhere. 

I want an ambitious manager who wants to drive us on, not just paper over the cracks. Robbo was like this when he was in charge - drove us onto a challenge cup, scottish cup semi-final & promotion. Please don't think I'm advocating a return for Robbo - I'm not! Just using the example of a fresh & fairly young manager (at the time) who improved us.

Different situation this time around though - we have had to hire managers due to the success they've had, rather than poor results (Brewster 2nd time around apart, of course), so maybe experience is more important this time.

I'll keep an open mind! 

Also, how is the new 'General manager' post going to work? Is it similar to director of football & the new boss being more of a head coach, rather than a manager? E.g. will the general manager be doing the player contracts, etc? Or is it more of a business role?

Will have an impact as to what sort of a manager we will be looking for..

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic