Old Firm look to buy SPL Rights

EWS

I had a giggle when reading this. Mainly for one reason. Apparently they are unhappy with the ?65million over 5 years, so they have proposed to buy the rights for the TV themselves - which they apparently value at ?25million over 2 years. Now, by my calculations, ?25million over 2 years = ?62.5Million over 5 years.

Does their arrogance hold no bounds?

Under the present system 40% of the 65 million goes to the OF so deduct 26 million. That leaves 39 to share between the other ten or 3.9 / 5 = 780,000 a year whereas 25 million over two years. The OF dont take any so other clubs get 1.25 million a year.

The hope with this is to give the other clubs a bit of a better chance to compete, because no competition is bad for the OF, and give a 2 year grace to sort out a new deal. The OF would hold the rights and sell them on at a profit so they would recoup there investment and give a number of other TV companies time to put together a bid for the rights.

Whether or not it would work I dont know but I do think the SKY / ESPN bid is taking the proverbial and that Scottish football is worth more than they are willing to put into it.

Under the present system 40% of the 65 million goes to the OF so deduct 26 million. That leaves 39 to share between the other ten or 3.9 / 5 = 780,000 a year whereas 25 million over two years. The OF dont take any so other clubs get 1.25 million a year.

The hope with this is to give the other clubs a bit of a better chance to compete, because no competition is bad for the OF, and give a 2 year grace to sort out a new deal. The OF would hold the rights and sell them on at a profit so they would recoup there investment and give a number of other TV companies time to put together a bid for the rights.

Whether or not it would work I dont know but I do think the SKY / ESPN bid is taking the proverbial and that Scottish football is worth more than they are willing to put into it.

Surely after the deal ends, the rights revert back to the OF?

Where did you get this information Alex?

Surely after the deal ends, the rights revert back to the OF? The OF want to take over the rights and sell them on within the two years. Ultimately the rights will always belong to the SPL and at the end of any deal will revert back to them.

Where did you get this information Alex? A friend of a friend who's involved at a high level with one of the aforementioned clubs. What I have written is my understanding of what they hope to achieve.