Your favourite ICT team (era)

This was inspired by a comment RiG made in the pre-match thread on P&B, which got me thinking...

There have been plenty of threads asking people to list their dream ICT team made of players from all eras, but I don't remember this one having been done, or at least not for a while: of the teams we have had at different times over the past 15 years, which was your favourite, and why?

There are a few obvious contenders: the Feb 8 2000 team, the promotion-winning team, the team that finished 7th in the SPL, but my own favourite is the 2002-03 team that Pele took to the top of the league before leaving and Robbo took to our first Scottish Cup semi final. Mann, Wyness and Robson were fantastic that season - Robson in particular, having been quite a frustrating player previously, began to fulfil all the promise he'd shown in the past. For those that may not remember the full team, the squad for the Scottish Cup Final was:

Brown; Tokely, Mann, McCaffrey, Golabek; Hart, McBain, Duncan, Robson; Wyness, Ritchie. Subs: Bagan, Christie, Fraser, Keogh, Munro, G. Stewart.

Don't think I've ever enjoyed football quite as much before or since, although the following season was obviously euphoric.

Thoughts, anyone?

Almost any of the 7 1/2 years under Pele but if I had to pick a time when it was just a joy to watch, then it was 2000-1 when we had the two Ayr gubbings and the Killie cup ties.

We had a spell around xmas when we beat Ayr 7-3, drew 2-2 with Clyde, hammered Airdrie 4-0, and drew 2-2 at Broadwood before coming back from the dead to draw 3-3 with the clothes-peg vendors. A month later we were beating Ayr 4-3 after giving them 3 goals of a start.

We also thumped our near neighbours 3-0 in November in the famous Christie/Boner slugfest. We had two double deckers from the Caley Club and they were rocking all the way over the bridge.

Edited by The Mantis

This was inspired by a comment RiG made in the pre-match thread on P&B, which got me thinking...

There have been plenty of threads asking people to list their dream ICT team made of players from all eras, but I don't remember this one having been done, or at least not for a while: of the teams we have had at different times over the past 15 years, which was your favourite, and why?

There are a few obvious contenders: the Feb 8 2000 team, the promotion-winning team, the team that finished 7th in the SPL, but my own favourite is the 2002-03 team that Pele took to the top of the league before leaving and Robbo took to our first Scottish Cup semi final. Mann, Wyness and Robson were fantastic that season - Robson in particular, having been quite a frustrating player previously, began to fulfil all the promise he'd shown in the past. For those that may not remember the full team, the squad for the Scottish Cup Final was:

Brown; Tokely, Mann, McCaffrey, Golabek; Hart, McBain, Duncan, Robson; Wyness, Ritchie. Subs: Bagan, Christie, Fraser, Keogh, Munro, G. Stewart.

Don't think I've ever enjoyed football quite as much before or since, although the following season was obviously euphoric.

Thoughts, anyone?

That was a great team, particularly the ten matches in a row we won just before Pele left. Robson and Wyness that season were absolute class. I often think it's sad that we used to get crowds of around 2000 at that point, yet pulled in double that for some of our routine SPL games - people really missed out.

I have a VHS with highlights from the 2002/03 season, I must get round to putting it on Youtube.

My favourite team was the promotion winning team 96/97 - some great players and memories. Ian Stewart, Scott McLean, Charlie Christie, Barry Wilson, Mike Teasdale, Ian McArthur, Jim Calder. Around that time there was a great feeling around the club and we really tore that division apart.

Thoughts, anyone?

cracking team

We've really had some outstanding players over the years. You often forget about some of the talent we've seen in Inverness. I agree with alternative maryhill - that is a belter of a team but I am also partial to our SFL1 title winning team simply for the fantastic front three we had - Wilson, Ritchie and Bingham. They tore teams apart and Hislop was a capable replacement for Ritchie as well. Our midfield bustled with relentless drive and energy - Keogh, Hart, McBain and Duncan were all determined and solid in controlling the middle of the park whilst our back line was hard to breach and the full backs encouraged to get forward as often as possible. Golabek, Mann, Caff and Tokely - brilliant!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/s...v_1/3712333.stm - memories!

I'd be hard pressed to choose between those two teams to be honest. What I do know is that our team from 2004 would utterly annihilate any of the SFL1 teams this year.

Agreed with most of your team selection but made a couple of changes. Calder, Dodds

Calder

Tokely Mann Dodds Golabek

Hart McBain Duncan Robson

Ritchie Bingham

Subs: , Brown, Keogh, Munro, G. Stewart, Wyness

Agreed with most of your team selection but made a couple of changes. Calder, Dodds

Calder

Ritchie Bingham

Calder and Dods didn't play in the same team. I would say the best team must be the 03-04 championship winning side

Calder

Ritchie Bingham

Calder and Dods didn't play in the same team. I would say the best team must be the 03-04 championship winning side

i may have not read the first post :(

forget my post

I still have the clipping from that game with a picture of Paul Sheerin soaked to the skin having missed his penalty in the shoot out.

I just remember our lot chanting "peeeeaaanut" everytime Byers got the ball because we thought that was his nickname amongst the players only to find out towards the end of the season it was Sheerin's nickname. :lol:

The banter in the terracing was brilliant at that point... I was getting to the age that I could attend more away games and we played some tremendous football with Bobby Mann at his prime, pinging balls all over the park - good times ;) :) :)

Almost any of the 7 1/2 years under Pele but if I had to pick a time when it was just a joy to watch, then it was 2000-1 when we had the two Ayr gubbings and the Killie cup ties.

We had a spell around xmas when we beat Ayr 7-3, drew 2-2 with Clyde, hammered Airdrie 4-0, and drew 2-2 at Broadwood before coming back from the dead to draw 3-3 with the clothes-peg vendors. A month later we were beating Ayr 4-3 after giving them 3 goals of a start.

We also thumped our near neighbours 3-0 in November in the famous Christie/Boner slugfest. We had two double deckers from the Caley Club and they were rocking all the way over the bridge.

I'll second that...the Pele years were the best. JR's first season was good too...it kind of went a bit pair shaped after that. Maybe the TB years will outshine the Pele one's, now that would be something....who knows.

Since we got promoted a lot of the 'magic' about supporting ICT has evaporated. Especially in the last year.

The odd away game we get a great crowd and it's a decent atmosphere, Stirling Albion springs to mind, but it just doesn't seem the same.

I think being in the lower leagues, and the smaller grounds will only be a good thing in getting this back. First 2 away days of the season have been belters, and a quality atmosphere, just hope we can keep it up.

Back on topic anyway.. I think the promotion winning side would have to be my favourite. Some class football played that season, with Bingham, Ritchie and Hissy running the show upfront for us. Mind St Johnstone and Clyde away that season were absolutely crackin' games, despite losing the one at Saints.