FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Directx update problems

Libero

I have been trying to update directx on my PC however each time i try to do so i get the following message:

A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the cryptographic services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid.

anyone know how i can fix this?

its vista i'm running BTW

What DirectX are you trying to install? Vista comes with DX10 and without a DX11 compatible card, there is no point in updating.

i was just trying to install the latest version, not sure exactly what version, i tried installing a game and it required the latest version of direct x. when it tried to install it i got the aforementioned message up, and the game installtion failed.

I then checked that cryptographic services were enabled, which they were.

I tried installing the latest version of directx from the directx website but again the error message popped up

the error message i got was that d3dx9_41.dll was not found

would that not signify an issue with directx 9 rather than 10?

Yeah that means it's running under DX9. When I played Crysis a while back I had to force it to use DX10 (even though I was on Vista and had a Radeon 2900XT graphics card.) This was acheived by simply adding the following to the target field of the games shortcut after the quotation marks of the target executable:

- DX10

This may specific to the game your playing though. In other words, though that worked for Crysis, it may not work for whatever game you're trying to play.

The other workaround will be to download the dll and place it in the Program Files folder for the game (place it in the same folder as the executable). Link to your missing DLL file

I've used that site before for DLL files and never had any problems.

Edited by Jay_7

the error message i got was that d3dx9_41.dll was not found

would that not signify an issue with directx 9 rather than 10?

Yeah that means it's running under DX9. When I played Crysis a while back I had to force it to use DX10 (even though I was on Vista and had a Radeon 2900XT graphics card.) This was acheived by simply adding the following to the target field of the games shortcut after the quotation marks of the target executable:

- DX10

This may specific to the game your playing though. In other words, though that worked for Crysis, it may not work for whatever game you're trying to play.

The other workaround will be to download the dll and place it in the Program Files folder for the game (place it in the same folder as the executable). Link to your missing DLL file

I've used that site before for DLL files and never had any problems.

what i did was download the full directx redist file to my PC and then hunt through the CAB files for the appropriate .dll file and stick it in the system32 folder

it did the trick and seems to be working fine now

thanks for your help Jay :lol: