FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

FAO Charles Bannerman....

Johnboy

Charles : You mentioned on another thread that you prefer to shop at Morrisons rather than Tescos.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that they sell live turtles in their stores in China, or does it have something to do with the way they treat chickens?

Charles : You mentioned on another thread that you prefer to shop at Morrisons rather than Tescos.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that they sell live turtles in their stores in China, or does it have something to do with the way they treat chickens?

Incredibly.... "neither of the above". (By the way I am assuming you mean "they Tesco" as opposed to "they Morrisons")

I shop in Morrisons because I prefer the ambience of the shop and the brand image, the shop is handy for parking for town, their prices APPEAR to be more competitive, they do a rather nice bottle of Cava, they do extremely good rollmops, their fresh food is a lot better in range and quality, I am fed up with Inverness being Tescotown, Morrisons are not obsessed with clubcard points and the cafe at Tesco Inshes in particular is a complete joke.

Tesco do have a couple of things going for them though. Their "Tomb Raider Lady" self service checkout is a bit more efficient and I like their grapefruit juice.

Oh yes, and whilst I haven't bought a turtle since my kids were big fans of the Teenage Hero Mutants, I am absolutely sure that any Morrisons sell will, like Monty Python's parrot, be dead, deceased, defunct, no more etc etc....

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Morrisons to better Jam doughnuts than Tescos, theres no contest. Morrisons for me.

I also have to say that I did a shopping in Asda whilst passing through Elgin before Christmas and was reasonably impressed.

Then there's Lidl and Aldi. A bit basic perhaps but some very good bargains.

The ambience of the shop is a big factor for me though, and there was nothing to beat Safeways in that respect although Morrisons have gone some way towards compensating for its loss. I used especially to like shopping in Safeways Rose Street and the cafe was excellent there, as was the case with Safeway Millburn Road. Morrison's cafes are not as good as the old Safeway ones, but Tesco Inshes has deteriorated so much that it now makes Morrisons look good.

In days gone by Tesco Inshes used to be good for a quick tea after a home game in advance of going down to the Social Club but it seems they now can't be bothered openiong that late so I have to do with a swift Morrisons ready meal at home.

You will have followed that supermarket cafes are important to me :rolleyes:

Incredibly.... "neither of the above". (By the way I am assuming you mean "they Tesco" as opposed to "they Morrisons")

Apologies for the ambiguity.

I have friends who won't go anywhere near any Tesco stores because their obsession with selling only the

Freshest Produce!

Edited by Johnboy

Was talking to someone that does deliveries to Tesco and Morrisons at a funeral back in November, and he said that Morrisons are far more picky over what they will accept, unlike Tesco who will take whatever they can and sell it on the cheap.

Also my brother works in Morrisons so it must be better..

Morrisons to better Jam doughnuts than Tescos, theres no contest. Morrisons for me.

I also have to say that I did a shopping in Asda whilst passing through Elgin before Christmas and was reasonably impressed.

Then there's Lidl and Aldi. A bit basic perhaps but some very good bargains.

The ambience of the shop is a big factor for me though, and there was nothing to beat Safeways in that respect although Morrisons have gone some way towards compensating for its loss. I used especially to like shopping in Safeways Rose Street and the cafe was excellent there, as was the case with Safeway Millburn Road. Morrison's cafes are not as good as the old Safeway ones, but Tesco Inshes has deteriorated so much that it now makes Morrisons look good.

In days gone by Tesco Inshes used to be good for a quick tea after a home game in advance of going down to the Social Club but it seems they now can't be bothered openiong that late so I have to do with a swift Morrisons ready meal at home.

You will have followed that supermarket cafes are important to me :rolleyes:

Your not wrong Charles.

I used to love going into Rose Street cafe and get a Bun and a hot chocolate with a good newspaper to read. The Tesco cafes used to be ok but as you say they have deteriorated quite badly. The final straw to was when i was given a meal i didnt order and the foreign fellow behind the till had the cheek to get on at me for returning it.

In terms of what you can buy i thinks its a case of quantity vs quality and it is easy to guess which i think serves quality.

I generally find a better selection of beers at Tescos, but apart from that I prefer Morrisons.

You're maybe right by a short head there JB but since I've defected from beer to white wine in the interests of weight control, that doesn't bother me too much and I would maybe also suggest that any lead Tesco has is confined to lagers.

ajsict92... aye, the good old days of the Rose Street cafe where a Saturday wouldn't be off to a proper start before I'd had my breakfast with a fresh tomato!

The Tesco Inshes cafe is a complete joke with all kinds equipment that breaks down at the drop of a hat... in one case the coffee machine for THREE WEEKS! The food sits festering and hardening and getting cold because so few people now use the place - a vicious circle which also means that they close early due to lack of business. I have complained to Tesco more than once and have been waiting for over a month for a reply to my last email and on one occasion my daughter had to return a cold dinner. Then there was the occasion when they ran out of rolls but said they weren't allowed to go and purchase any of the thousands in the shop!

It has two advantages. A convenient location for me (but the new ASDA will become even more convenient) and the fact that sort of unofficially free papers seem to lie about the place (which I think people just take off the stands in the shop). So I use it from time to time but am very careful about what I buy.

But in general, though, I prefer to eat in Morrisons so I have taken my main weekly shop there as well and am much happier with the entire experience.

One thing that mystifies me about Tesco in Inverness is the degree of resentment, unpopularity, bad feeling and bad PR the company has generated here but people still seem to patronise the place in droves. Apart from some kind of Tesco fixation in this city, lack of competition is certainly a factor so as far as I am concerned they can't bring ASDA on fast enough.

Hang on a minute.... reality check... look what we've got here - a bunch of BLOKES spending hours discussing the relative merits of Supermarkets!!

I like Lidl for sweets and things. They are cheap and not the normal branded stuff you get out of the bigger supermarkets. My all time best supermarket is a good old Asda. Out of the two you are asking about, it splits in two. When i go food shopping with my mum (I make sure she gets the things i like), it all depends. If its just food we are looking to get, we go to Morrisons. Its the best, hands down. But obviously Tesco is good for other bits and bobs. If we need to pick up some things for around the house, or i need some new headphones ect, Tesco is really good. They have real Cheap electronic goods and housewear stuff.

But a comparison of the two, Morrisons. There baking section is top notch

What!? You go to supermarkets! You capitalist slave! It should be farmers markets and family grocers you should be going to!

Yes, I thought that by now Dornoch Caley would have been screaming for the collectivisation of the West Coast crofters in advance of taking their produce into market in carts drawn by tractors produced according to the Five Year Plan! :D :P :P

Another little factor into the mix. I recently started shopping online with Asda, and getting it delivered. ONE observation i have noted about their goods.....is that.....own brand things like Croissants, Chicken kievs etc are considerably smaller than that offered by their competitors. About a Third smaller at least!

What!? You go to supermarkets! You capitalist slave! It should be farmers markets and family grocers you should be going to!

Yes, I thought that by now Dornoch Caley would have been screaming for the collectivisation of the West Coast crofters in advance of taking their produce into market in carts drawn by tractors produced according to the Five Year Plan! :lol::lol::lol:

Yeap.... Dornoch Caley's just sold his priciples down the river!!

Even if he had said he (and his mum) only shop at the Co op stores, there might have been some hope for him....

Alas.... Not now... :rolleyes:

I go to Tesco Inshes because its only 2 minutes drive from my house. What is better with Morrisons to Tesco is their Salad bar, which has a range of fresh pastas etc, in a box for only ?1.50. Tesco doesn't have anything like that.

Noticed a person cough/splutter/sneeze at the salad bowls a while ago... put me right off!!

Wish we had a Sainsburys.

I go to Tesco Inshes because its only 2 minutes drive from my house. What is better with Morrisons to Tesco is their Salad bar, which has a range of fresh pastas etc, in a box for only ?1.50. Tesco doesn't have anything like that.

Noticed a person cough/splutter/sneeze at the salad bowls a while ago... put me right off!!

Wish we had a Sainsburys.

New store approved for Nairn last month.