FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Terry Butcher interview

Andrew Fraser

What bothered me most about Doncaster's comments on radio scotland was this idea of attracting better players to the SPL. Throwing stupid money at imported players was what got scottish football into the s**t in the first place. It's bad enough that they want to repeat the mistake of a 10 team league, they want to start bringing has beens in again who are only looking to top up their pension fund. They will effectively bury any chance of young local talent making it to the top, and at the same time kill off the national teams chance of appearing at major tournaments. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so heartbreaking!!!:cry:

Although i don't agree with what Terry said about 'if it ain't broke', surely what we've got is much better than what that douchebag doncaster is proposing so fair point Tel.

Who employed this idiot to be in charge of the spl?!

I would like to think that the vote will go against his proposals anyway but wether a new plan is written up or not the priority has to be

to have somebody who cares about the future of the Scottish game to be running our leagues.

DONCASTER CAN AWAY AND SH1TE.

• Agree 1

As a Celtic supporter who has long admired Inverness Caley Thistle's efforts to promote the game in the North (honest) I applaud Terry Butcher's comments on the BBC interview. I have yet to meet anyone who thinks the 10 team league is a positive step - well I have met one guy, but he is a contrary individual who would argue against anything for the sake of it .

We should be trying to support the efforts of teams like ICT, Ross County etc, but also to help the likes of Dundee, Dunfermline, Raith Rovers, Q.o. S. and Morton to get back to a place where they can at least compete in the way that Caley Thistle are doing this season.

• Agree 2

Well done Terry - I am so pleased you are with our club.

And what an absolute idiot that "man" Doncaster is - his reply was astonishing.

He seems to have no idea what type of bullying Terry was talking about and could only equate it to

playground violence.

The man is clearly a fool and his contract should be terminated immediately.

Thought Sutherland tried to make Terry look an idiot saying they werent being bullied, and he should stay out of the politics.

It would've been a great opportunity for him to back his comments and make the point that ICT, as a whole, were opposed to the new 10 team proposal. But, nope.....arse.

He was on Sportsound a few days ago and would not directly answer any questions as to what he thought was the best way forward for Scottish football. I got the distinct impression he was in favour of a ten team set up.

The David Sutherlands of this world are motivated entirely by greed.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Sutherland's a shrewd cookie, we want allies and not enemies across the table, dont read too much into it.

Obviously havent seen or heard any footage but that was my immediate thought .... Say what you like about him, but he is not a stupid man. Velvet glove, Iron Fist springs to mind !!!

He was on Sportsound a few days ago and would not directly answer any questions as to what he thought was the best way forward for Scottish football. I got the distinct impression he was in favour of a ten team set up. The David Sutherlands of this world are motivated entirely by greed.

He's as entitled to his opinion of his preferred format the same way as any of us are. We can agree or disagree with him as that is our choice but there have been a few posts in various threads this afternoon that amount to somewhat of a character assassination. Lets wind it in a bit with the overly personal stuff please.

I would also respectfully disagree that he is motivated by greed !!! If he was, then his greed gene must have fallen out as he entered the doors at the TCS ! He has put far more into the club both publicly and privately, and at crucial times, than he has ever got back or is ever likely to.

Yes it gives him a louder voice than the rest of us but it doesnt give him a profitable return on his bank balance which ultimately he must want if he is greedy like you say ! He may be ruthless in his other business ventures, but where ICT is concerned he has used that ruthlessness and business savvy to get us through a few difficult times with no return other than higher profile or good (and sometimes bad) PR.

• Agree 2

You've got to applaud TB for his honesty and passion, I 100% agree with everything he said except the point about the split, it's awful and I would argue him on that point. It creates a ridiculous imbalance that no one likes.

I've just came off the phone to my bro who is a Rangers fan and he applauds TB for everything that he said and agreed with the point he made about other teams not wanting ICT in the league due to the geography of Inverness, he did say that there were the odd few fans on the FollowFollow website that slated TB but they missed the point that he was aiming his displeasure at the SPL and not Rangers in relation to the rescheduled game last night, a point which he vigorously argued on their board in favour of TB.

It's good to know that his interview has been received so well amongst all fans across the Scottish spectrum but just a shame that there are a few that can't see passed their own negative views.

I have not long switched off the radio listening to open all mics and the debate they were having and I have to say that the Hamilton chairman (I forgot his name the minute he started slagging us off and won't give him the time to google him to find it out) but how far from the truth can you be. He completely missed the point that TB was making by using us as an example of what will happen if three teams go down and rather decided to have a pop at the club by intimating that by being further up the table we didn't now care about lower down teams and the further up the league you get the worse the people get, listen to the interview you idiot, please don't put us in this bracket and actually take in what was said. It would be interesting to see what your view point would be if you were sitting 5th in the league with 28 points just now rather than bottom with relegation staring you in the face!!!!

Edited by MrCaleyjag
  • Agree 1

Think the football establishment are now ganging up on Terry. Its coming over that ICT are only against this to protect our own interests and not the good of Scottish football.Well what do they think the old firm are doing? As a season ticket holder I want a successful caley jags first and foremost and if that means looking after our interests well so be it.Think it would maybe have been better if DS had not said anything really. Lastly enjoyed the bit where the Killie chairman all but called Doncaster a liar on air especially over the way this is being done but then he spoiled it by saying that the discussions should not be in the public domain.As Scotty posted yesterday football is nothing without the fans and I really feel a lot of these guys need reminding of this.

• Agree 1

It would be interesting to see what your view point would be if you were sitting 5th in the league with 28 pints just now rather than bottom with relegation staring you in the face!!!!

That would certainly be entertaining :lol:

Sutherland's a shrewd cookie, we want allies and not enemies across the table, dont read too much into it.

Obviously havent seen or heard any footage but that was my immediate thought .... Say what you like about him, but he is not a stupid man. Velvet glove, Iron Fist springs to mind !!!

He was on Sportsound a few days ago and would not directly answer any questions as to what he thought was the best way forward for Scottish football. I got the distinct impression he was in favour of a ten team set up. The David Sutherlands of this world are motivated entirely by greed.

He's as entitled to his opinion of his preferred format the same way as any of us are. We can agree or disagree with him as that is our choice but there have been a few posts in various threads this afternoon that amount to somewhat of a character assassination. Lets wind it in a bit with the overly personal stuff please.

I would also respectfully disagree that he is motivated by greed !!! If he was, then his greed gene must have fallen out as he entered the doors at the TCS ! He has put far more into the club both publicly and privately, and at crucial times, than he has ever got back or is ever likely to.

Yes it gives him a louder voice than the rest of us but it doesnt give him a profitable return on his bank balance which ultimately he must want if he is greedy like you say ! He may be ruthless in his other business ventures, but where ICT is concerned he has used that ruthlessness and business savvy to get us through a few difficult times with no return other than higher profile or good (and sometimes bad) PR.

Totally agree with you but want to add he will protect the investment he has put into ICT the best way he sees fit and that might not always be what's best for the club, the fans or the sport. You've still got to admire the man.

It would be interesting to see what your view point would be if you were sitting 5th in the league with 28 pints just now rather than bottom with relegation staring you in the face!!!!

That would certainly be entertaining :lol:

:oops:

You don't get real pints over there though. 16 fl.oz. girlie pints. :nanananana:

Ok... fair comment - he is entitled to his opinion of course, but given that he is wanting to take a back seat now, and is prepared to relinquish his shareholding within the club, why should anyone pay any attention for the direction he thinks Scottish football should be taking?

Does it not now boil down to who's opinion you have the most respect for?

Terry Butcher or David Sutherland?

I dont think it boils down to whose opinion you have the most respect for, you can respect an opinion and still disagree !

I have always respected DFS' opinion, even on those occasions when I have not agreed with it. Right now, I side with Terry Butcher's opinion, as it more closely resembles my own, but do not need to denigrate Mr Sutherland to take that position.