FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

The thing to remember about Shiels, is put aside his 'media persona' and the fact he won the League Cup.  He inherited a good squad from Mixu Paatelainen (who I'd have as manager in a second!), which certainly helped him along the way.  Of his own signings, he blew a whole load of their budget on Samson and Reguero and on top of that signed two Nigerians who have since both been released without playing a single second of football.  His record as a manager in Northern Ireland is also rather patchy, including being sacked by Coleraine.

With that in mind, I'm not really sure he's the man for the job at all.

If I can summarise the above it would appear that apart from coming across as an utter gobsh1te in the media and slagging off our geographical location at every opportunity Kenny's a really great guy. My sincere apologies for misrepresenting Kenny in previous posts.

The pro-Sheils media spin doctors are desperate to have rent-a-quote back in work as he gives great copy. A massive whopper but we'll get acres of cringe inducing column inches in the press........dearie me I could almost greet at the prospect.

The only sensation he caused with the press happened in a very small window where Killie were on the end of what Shiels perceived as some extremely poor Ref decisions.  So you continue to misrepresent the man.

He only made one comment about the hassle of travelling to Inverness that I am aware of.

Not sure I've seen anything to merit claims that the media spin doctors are desperate to have him back in work....no more so that "A N Other" manager, who changes twice a day.

The thing to remember about Shiels, is put aside his 'media persona' and the fact he won the League Cup.  He inherited a good squad from Mixu Paatelainen (who I'd have as manager in a second!), which certainly helped him along the way.  Of his own signings, he blew a whole load of their budget on Samson and Reguero and on top of that signed two Nigerians who have since both been released without playing a single second of football.  His record as a manager in Northern Ireland is also rather patchy, including being sacked by Coleraine.

Sacked and then re-instated almost immediately at Coleraine (sounds like some d!ickhead Director nonsense) before going on to win the league title (by 15 points), promotion and a cup that same season.  Won another cup and finished 2nd in the league the following season.  Resigned after Directors started berating him following a couple of losses to near rivals a couple of seasons later.

Took on an all but relegate team at Ballymena and whilst he couldn't save them, he did get them promoted again at second attempt....won 2 cups and qualified for Intertoto in the process.

10 wins, 10 draws, 10 losses was his record at Larne, a job he resigned from due to his work with the national association.

Still waiting to see the full list of genuine candidates but so far it is beteween Shiels and Hartley, for me.  I did also think Levein would be good for us but apparently we can't get near the money he's looking for and so will not be considered for the job, unless he gets serious about getting back to work and is prepared to accept a more realistic salary.

• Agree 1

What about Hope Powell ? She may have stayed too long in the England post but she is a tactically shrewd coach and good motivator with an excellent win ratio and who's teams are noted for attacking and attractive football.

Having a former iconic international captain raised the profile of the club but just think of the impact being the first senior professional club to appoint a woman manager would have. The media interest in ICT would be phenomenal not just within the UK but throughout the world.

• Agree 6

I am not a fan of any pro team in Scotland, but my mate who is has told me something, to me could be quite worrying for an ICT fan.  Rainer Bonhof, who hasn't managed a team since he resigned from the Scotland U21's in 2005 has shown interest in the job.  Also he is now 61 years old.  On a brighter note at least its not Berti Vogts

Don't shoot the messenger, I am only passing on a message

Edited by JustLookingIn

I am not a fan of any pro team in Scotland, but my mate who is has told me something, to me could be quite worrying for an ICT fan.  Rainer Bonhof, who hasn't managed a team since he resigned from the Scotland U21's in 2005 has shown interest in the job.  Also he is now 61 years old.  On a brighter note at least its not Berti Vogts

Why would this worry me? Just because he's shown interest in the job, doesn't mean it's his.

CaleyD - you may have picked up on the fact that I don't fancy Sheils for the gig. I've had the misfortune of listening to his histrionics on Radio Scotland on numerous occasions so my previous comments are simply my personal opinion on the guy. I don't see how this constitutes misrepresentation.

Graham Speirs is one hack promoting Sheils' appointment and there have been several others singing his praises. To me his cringeworthy rants are manna from heaven to these guys. They want him back in work as his pantomime dame act gives them plenty to write about.

I don't want him at ICT but as I'm merely a punter expressing my opinion on a supporters forum I seriously doubt the powers that be or Mr. Sheils will be losing sleep over my thoughts on the matter. I kind of thought that was the purpose of a forum......

• Agree 3

Hi Rainer.

What about Hope Powell ? She may have stayed too long in the England post but she is a tactically shrewd coach and good motivator with an excellent win ratio and who's teams are noted for attacking and attractive football.

Having a former iconic international captain raised the profile of the club but just think of the impact being the first senior professional club to appoint a woman manager would have. The media interest in ICT would be phenomenal not just within the UK but throughout the world.

Had that thought myself - would make a real splash. However, publicity is always a double-edged sword and, if it goes pear-shaped this would bite us on the @rse. Selection must be strictly on footballing lines and not publicity IMHO. Edited by PerfICT

Can I have a pint of what you're drinking ?!?!

• Agree 1

Sacked and then re-instated almost immediately at Coleraine (sounds like some d!ickhead Director nonsense) before going on to win the league title (by 15 points), promotion and a cup that same season.  Won another cup and finished 2nd in the league the following season.  Resigned after Directors started berating him following a couple of losses to near rivals a couple of seasons later.

Took on an all but relegate team at Ballymena and whilst he couldn't save them, he did get them promoted again at second attempt....won 2 cups and qualified for Intertoto in the process.

10 wins, 10 draws, 10 losses was his record at Larne, a job he resigned from due to his work with the national association.

How good a manager was he at Kilmarnock though?  While he may have won the League Cup, how much of what he achieved was through his own quality and not having a great platform for him put in place by Mixu Paatelainen?  From what I can see, there could well be a chance that he's nothing more than this decade's Ivan Golac - only more annoying!

CaleyD - you may have picked up on the fact that I don't fancy Sheils for the gig. I've had the misfortune of listening to his histrionics on Radio Scotland on numerous occasions so my previous comments are simply my personal opinion on the guy. I don't see how this constitutes misrepresentation.

Graham Speirs is one hack promoting Sheils' appointment and there have been several others singing his praises. To me his cringeworthy rants are manna from heaven to these guys. They want him back in work as his pantomime dame act gives them plenty to write about.

I don't want him at ICT but as I'm merely a punter expressing my opinion on a supporters forum I seriously doubt the powers that be or Mr. Sheils will be losing sleep over my thoughts on the matter. I kind of thought that was the purpose of a forum......

I'm with you on this one YMIP, would be a source of extreme embarrassment and tarnish our reputation.

We need somebody with integrity as well as experience and ambition, not a Judas type character looking for a stepping stone.

There's one candidate fits the bill for me and I cannot understand why he's been overlooked for many recent vacancies.......step up Jimmy Calderwood, the tanning salons of Inverness eagerly await your imminent arrival!

• Agree 1

You are absolutely right that the purpose of a forum is for discussion and expression of opinion.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts...and it is your expression of certain facts that I disagreed with and proffered my own opinion on.

I get, and have acknowledged (either earlier in this thread or elsewhere), that there were certain interviews which didn't show him in good light...but having gone and looked at a lot of other interviews, this was certainly not the "norm".  Given that you, and a few others, seem to think this is the case shows just how good a character assassination job the press performed.

Part of what I do as media coordinator with the club is to manage these situations and work to prevent them arising in the first place.  I don't know what the setup is/was at Kilmarnock, but I do wonder why it was ever allowed to happen and get out of hand in the way it did.

How good a manager was he at Kilmarnock though?  While he may have won the League Cup, how much of what he achieved was through his own quality and not having a great platform for him put in place by Mixu Paatelainen?  From what I can see, there could well be a chance that he's nothing more than this decade's Ivan Golac - only more annoying!

Probably on a par with what TB achieved in his first two SPL seasons.

If we accept the argument that Mixu left him a great platform to work from...do we not have the same, or better, platform for him to build on here?

Shiels is not the only show in town...not by a long shot, I just think a lot of people only remember him for a few rants in the press...something which he got a lot of support for by people on this forum because he was sticking it to the establishment.

If we accept the argument that Mixu left him a great platform to work from...do we not have the same, or better, platform for him to build on here?

We've probably a better squad now than the one Shiels inherited, but how good was he at Killie when tried to put his own touches on Mixu's squad?  The aforementioned two expensive keepers and those Nigerians doesn't make for good reading.  If he were to get the job, he might alright to begin with, but I'm unconvinced he's the man to take the club forward in the long term.

We've probably a better squad now than the one Shiels inherited, but how good was he at Killie when tried to put his own touches on Mixu's squad?  The aforementioned two expensive keepers and those Nigerians doesn't make for good reading.  If he were to get the job, he might alright to begin with, but I'm unconvinced he's the man to take the club forward in the long term.

Maybe, but his post-match trolling is second to none. And the county fans seem to dislike him, which is also a bonus. Tonight, I'm slightly more in favour of Hartley being appointed.

You've answered your own question. In a market like this one where very little money is likely to be staked, any reasonable sized bet is likely to result in odds shortening very quickly.

One reason for this is that the bookies have to assume (quite rightly, a lot of the time) that the person placing the bet has some insider info. There will be a number of people at the club, and a number of people associated with each of the serious contenders, who are in a position allow their friends and family to make a profit using their insider info, which is why most bookies aren't touching this.

I know from a very reliable source that Robbo has spoken to Barry Wilson about coming to the club as his No. 2 if he is successful. With all others considered this would be my personal choice, though Kenny Shiels I feel would also be good for the club.

Robbo clearly still has a lot of affection for ICT (as does Barry). He would a lot wiser for his Hearts experience as manager and recognition that the grass is not always greener elsewhere (something that Terry may well soon realise) and lives locally therefore this would likely be a long term appointment.

He was also thought of as a genuinely good manager by those that played for him as opposed to Brewster who just got lucky playing a system around his own very good ability as a player / goal scorer. Whilst Parkie was an important part of Robbo's success and is now pretty much unavailable due to his SFA job, Barry would be an excellent assistant and give us a management team that would build for the future.

Don't normally like the going back to previous managers thing but genuinely feel that it would work for us if these appointments were made.