FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

I think Kenny Sheils burned too many bridges during his Killie career. By the end he had alienated himself with Refs, SFA, SPL, the media & fans. He had so many chips on his shoulders. We need someone who is media savvy! Butcher was a media darling and fans of other clubs liked him; even some Ceptic fans liked him!

I still have no idea who I want but i know who i don't and that is Sheils!

Edited by BornCaley

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/443799/Chris-Sutton-favourite-for-Caley-Thistle-post

Even though it's only speculation but if you're reading this Kenny Cameron - Don't choose Chris Sutton! The only way I would consider Chris Sutton as a first team coach along side Henrik Larsson as Manager and John Hartson as an assistant. Sure that's very Celtic minded but the three of them in their prime were the best strike force in Scotland and would teach Billy McKay and young Toby a thing or two!

But please not Chris Sutton as manager!

Noooooo please no!

From what I gather Shearer and Kellecher will take the St Johnston game, There is a shortlist of 6 drawn up apparently.

I think no matter what we do, we need to go fresh. I dont see the point in going back to someone from the past. I love Robbo but he's history now I'm afraid. Same with Pele.

Also, I hope we steer clear of Antonio Tapia. He applied for Hibs job and now us. There is a real desperation from him, I don't think he knows where Inverness is!

Tapia's agent puts forward the case for Tapia in the Record. He'd use his contacts in Spain to bring in players, and assistant manager would likely be Guillem Balague, a journalist who's never kicked a ball in his life.

Well that's me persuaded then.......

If you were to believe the bookies, the possibles with short and shortening/stable odds seem to be:

Chris Sutton (4-5!!!) :amazed: Sutton family obviously backing their man heavily!

Craig Levein

Kenny Shiels

Robbo (believed to be trying to link up with Barry Wilson as assistant)

Paul Hartley

Henrik Larsson - big mover today

Antonio Tapia

Peter Houston?

Barry Ferguson?

Burley is another possibility because he's publicly declared an interest, but there's some confusion here, with Craig Burley at shorter odds that George...doesn't make sense! Sturrock still out at 33-1...

Probably shouldn't read too much into this, but perhaps these names are not so far off the short-list?

Still can't see why people are going for Henrik Larsson.  A good player does not equal a good manager necessarily.  He's basically a Swedish version of Chris Sutton when it comes to management.  Great for Celtic but failed at management.  What good is that?

wouldnt say either sutton or larsson have failed at management. given suttons only had 1 year in it, in charge of lincoln, he kept them up after they had a horrendous start to the season, and then left due to ''family reasons''.

Larsson had 1 good year just missing out on promotion and 1 indifferent year avoiding relegation in his experience managing. What we know is that both were very good players and have experience working at the highest level with some of very good managers over the years.

A decent bet at 33/1. Been reading sturrocks managerial history on Wikipedia. He really does have a good pedigree and he is looking to get back into management. KC please take note...

• Agree 1

wouldnt say either sutton or larsson have failed at management. given suttons only had 1 year in it, in charge of lincoln, he kept them up after they had a horrendous start to the season, and then left due to ''family reasons''.

Larsson had 1 good year just missing out on promotion and 1 indifferent year avoiding relegation in his experience managing. What we know is that both were very good players and have experience working at the highest level with some of very good managers over the years.

Sutton left Lincoln in 20th place.  Larsson had a team tipped for promotion fighting relegation.  There is nothing in their management careers that says they are ready for taking a successful team in the SPL to the next level.  Nothing whatsoever.

As I've previously pointed out, a successful playing career means nothing in management.  Truly awful players and even those who haven't played at all have also made fine managers.  Who would you rather, multiple-title winning McCoist or perennenial reserve Walter Smith as a player?  Now who as a manager?  No relation between the two positions.

Absolutely fantastic news if Craig Levein has deemed himself above us. Scotland may well be seeing his true character. I like this bit from Wiki:''It was not just injuries that kept Levein from playing during his time at Hearts; he was once given a 12-game ban after punching, and breaking the nose of, Hearts teammate Graeme Hogg during a pre-season friendly against Raith Rovers.'' Butcher just broke doors as far as we know.

Having researched Paul Hartley's stats I'd be really happy to see us take a punt on him. Didnt realise Alloa were 3rd division when he took over. With the cup looming we need a winner in the dugout. With 2 promotions to his 2 and a half year career as a manager, as well as his side flying high in the 1st Division (screw off, Im not saying Championship) he would bring a winning mentality into the dressing room as well as an eagerness to succeed and prove himself at the highest level. 

Amongst all the names that are flying about he is the one that is standing out for me now. 

• Agree 1

I heard that Alex Miller, former Hibs manager, Liverpool Assistant Manager has applied for the post. Has been managing and coaching in Russia and Japan of late.

Not bowled over by him, but experienced. Rather a young determined manger from the lower leagues looking to improve on his early success in his first post.

Thankfully seeeeeethe has declared himself not in the running. Did not even think he would have been, and we are not big enough for Levein - hope that comes back to bite him, maybe he is holding out for the Barca job since he was the first to use their 4-6-0 formation