FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

Notice not until that long ago, ICT seemed pretty certain that the new manager would be in place for the Morton game. Now, even after this whole Hartley saga, they're now certain he won't be in place for said game, and probably won't be appointed until the middle of next week. I wonder if something has thrown them into disarray. Has somebody of real note thrown his hat into the ring out of the blue who really needs considering?

As I mentioned earlier, today (and as far as I'm aware, they're the first to do it), the Highland News seems to hint that Henrik Larsson has entered the running. Are the board now taking their time to see what he has to say (despite his prominent name), and they're needing more time to think about it. It could of course be someone else and a bigger managerial name that they are now pondering. Interesting times ahead, and I for one am loving it.

I think having someone of Henrik's stature might have a positive outcome with the crowds.

Read today that he went from 16/1 to 3/1. He is my second choice behind Paul Hartley.

Good Points  -

• Massive player, who could get people through the turnstyles.
  • Could potentially help the club hoover-up Celtic-leaning Highland fans, who (if they like what they see) could change allegiance to ICT.
  • Supposedly plays an entertaining, attacking style of football in a 4-3-3 formation.
  • Name would attract players.
  • Could potentially keep players at the club (a la Butcher).  He wouldn't be an unknown to them (like Barry Wilson or somebody would).
  • Probably loads of contacts throughout the world.
  • Potentially more coverage of ICT abroad.
Negative Points - 

• Could potentially move on very quickly should a big team come in for him.
  • Doesn't have the best of records as a manager in his own right, and supposedly did rather poorly considering the size of the club.
  • Are we looking at him just because of his name?
Overall, there's some very good things that someone like Larsson (or someone of that ilk) could bring to the club.  If he needs anything, he'd need an experienced assistant, Jimmy Nicholl or someone like that.  I'd certainly back him if he got it.

I think someone like John Hartson would be a good assistant for Henrik. John Hartson would be more up to date with the happenings with Scottish Football than Larsson would.

Barry Wilson has been touted as a possibility despite only managing in the Highland League for a matter of months. In the unlikely event that we were going to go down the route of former ICT player with Highland League experience, Les Fridge might be the safer option having managed Nairn County with increasing success and on a tighter budget than Barry has at Wick.

That said, I doubt either is under serious consideration.

Edited by Kingsmills

Might well be completely wrong but I can recall in one our our first SPL seasons an opposition player giving our fans the old spastic/mongol face (use tongue to push out the part of your mouth under your bottom lips). Was that by any chance Hartley?

Yes. 

yep that was Hartley, at Tynecastle , I was there, was Hilarious

As things now stand (changes in red):

People who applied/expressed an interest in the job -

• Chris Sutton - Ex-Lincoln City manager.  Failed to get ICT job when interviewed for it the last time round.
  • Billy Reid - Ex-Hamilton and Clyde managers.  Recently failed to get the Airdrie job.
  • Gus MacPherson - Ex-St.Mirren and Queen of the South manager.
  • Billy McKinlay - Fulham Coach
  • Antonio Tapia - Supposedly has not been interviewed.
  • John Robertson - Been quoted as saying that he will not get the job.
  • Barry Wilson - Wick Academy and Dingwall Spar manager.  Former Elgin City assistant and recently turned down the Queen of the South job.
  • Paul Hartley - Will be/has been interviewed.
  • Rainer Bonhof - Ex-Germany assistant, along with Germany U21, Borussia Monchengladbach, Al-Kuwait and Scotland U21 manager.  Won the World Cup as a player.
  • Csaba Laszlo - Ex-Hearts, Uganda, Chaleroi and Lithuania managers, along with some others.
  • George Burley - Ex-Scotland, Hearts, Southampton, Ipswich Town, Crystal Palace and Derby managers, along with a couple of others.  Recently sacked after two games by Apollon Limassol.
  • John Hughes - Reported to have been interviewed.
  • Alex Miller - Ex-Aberdeen, Hibernian (ten years there), St Mirren and Morton manager, along with spells at JEF United in Japan, South China in Hong Kong, AIK in Sweden and Sibir Novosibirsk in Russia.
  • Unnamed Italian - ???
  • Unnamed South American - ???
  • Michael Appleton - Ex-Portsmouth, Blackburn and Blackpool manager.
  • Kevin Blackwell - Ex-Leeds, Luton and Sheffield United manager.  Recently sacked by Bury.
  • Henrik Larsson - Current assistant at Swedish club Hogaborgs, and previously managed Landskrona.  Played at Celtic, Barcelona, Manchester United amongst others, as well as in the World Cup.

Removed themselves from the running - 

• Craig Levein - Declined to be interviewed.  Talk now he has re-entered the running.
  • Richie Foran - Ruled himself out and has yet to do coaching badges.
  • Maurice Malpas - Turned the job down.
  • Duncan Shearer - Ruled himself out.
  • Kenny Shiels - Supposedly removed himself from the running.  Current status unknown.
Edited by Renegade

It could be worse. Todays BBC Gossip section reports this from The Sun:

"Alloa Athletic manager Paul Hartley is facing competition to be Inverness Caledonian Thistle's new team boss from Michael Appleton, who was sacked by Blackburn Rovers in March, John Hughes, axed by Hartlepool United in the summer, and former Caley Thistle boss Craig Brewster. "

:amazed: 

There's a few names on that list that worry me. Larsson is definitely one IMO. Brewster is another!

Cant say i'm over-excited by the new names added to the pot today. Wouldn't imagine that Appleton and Blackwell have a great knowledge of the Scottish game and we have all seen in the past how difficult it can be for managers with little knowledge of the Scottish game coming to manage in the league

Sounds like the guys still in the running are: Sutton, Hartley, Levein, Hughes, Levein, Lazlo and possibly a couple of others

From that list I would still probably have Hartley as favourite

There are def a few worrying names. Would it be so bad to have someone not involved in scottish football? We do have a team here and its not like he would need to make any signings at all until hopefully, at least the end of the season which would give them plenty of time to get up to speed and surely wouldnt try to drastically change how we play. In saying that, the scottish names or those that are familiar with scottish football are definitely better than the ones that arent. Ill take Burley, Levein, Hartley and Sheils etc over the likes of Appleton, Sutton, Larsson and Blackwell any day of the week. 

Edited by LundavraJag
  • Agree 1

Well over a hundred potential candidates mentioned on this thread now..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................and Craig Brewster.

In the ICT tradition of giving fresh young managers a chance (Robertson, Brewster, Christie ) it has to be Hartley for me.

I know TB didn't exactly fit that mould but just because we are an established SPL side it doesn't mean we pick one of the old lags on the merry-go-round (Calderwood, Miller, Levein, Hughes etc - ugh).

• Agree 3

Right, that's it! I can't stand the suspense any longer. I'm off down to the Eastgate Centre to visit the large fashion retailer situated at the end of the mall next to Argos.

I'll demand to speak to or get the identity of their boss. At least that way I'll finally have the name of the Next Inverness manager! :lol:

• Agree 1