FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The new manager thread

Yngwie

To extend the metaphor i read in another thread - Its like once you split up with an ex, after seeing her with another man - you realise you have a six pack, fantastic prospects and your better off without her. Just then, you get laid after a night in hoots and she stays all weekend and ends up being your bird, your ex seems like a fat user!!

I actually voted Barry for the job, but I'm team Hartley now!

• Agree 2

I'm delighted at the thought of Hartley. Didn't really have a favorite for the job so was never really going to be dissapointed though.

I know why it looks like it'll be him though. He's got the championship experience we need to beat Morton on sat!

Edited by ICTPAISLEY

To extend the metaphor i read in another thread - Its like once you split up with an ex, after seeing her with another man - you realise you have a six pack, fantastic prospects and your better off without her. Just then, you get laid after a night in hoots and she stays all weekend and ends up being your bird, your ex seems like a fat user!!

I actually voted Barry for the job, but I'm team Hartley now!

So you are saying that Paul Hartley is your new girlfriend?  Interesting.

Question was asked on the Alloa forum earlier - if Hartley gets the job, which Alloa players will he be going back for in January?

Can't say I'm familiar with any of them these days, at least since the departures of Hartley's big name signings (Darren Young, Robbie Winters, on-loan Stevie May).

I know Hartley lacks experience in the top league but so did McNamara and look at him now at united. Yes slightly different as Partick was full time and Alloa was full time but i think we should take the risk and with Foran and an experienced number 2 then i cant see why Hartley cant push us on from this point. Its win-win we get a manager with lots of potential and a decent start and Hartley gets a great first stepping stone into full time management at a club which will put no pressure on him whats so ever  

2ecq2za.jpg

Daily Record saying that Paul Hartley is going to be having talks with us today, also goes on to say we've talked to Kenny Shiels and John Hughes.

In the unlikely event of the Daily Record knowing anything, Paul Hartley would be far and away my preferred choice out of those three options.

Erm reckon we might be missing a trick here (Please note; I don't read the daily mail, I just followed the link from the BBC gossip column)

Mike Phelan - ‘I’m quite open and proud enough to listen to anything really. Be it home, abroad, Premier League, Championships or below that. It’s not a worry. I’ve been in the game long enough so I know how to pitch myself in comfortably anywhere. But it’s not my decision.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2513655/Mike-Phelan-claims-manager-Sir-Alex-Fergusons-years-Manchester-United.html#ixzz2lp1XhllH 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Edited by iamthecaptain1

How about Jimmy Calderwood with Hartley as assistant?

Experience plus savvy and energy? Encouragement from jimmy and respect from Paul.  Ideal

Then, when Jimmy inevitably moves on or retires, we have an experienced, energetic Manager just waiting in the wings for his big chance. That's assuming that Jimmy does this within a maximum of 3 years though. I think this might prove to be an interesting challenge for Mr. Calderwood what with ICT in the driving seat for a great season. He might think that Paul will enable him to coast within a short period of time.

Paul is going to need effective  help if he is appointed the sole manager, so who could be his assistant in a very supportive role but not so intrusive that Paul feels he is being crowded?

Why would Hartley leave a manager post to be an assistant as some are suggesting, yes he is with a part time team and achieved success, he was a high level pro at top clubs and played both in European competition and Internationals, so working full time with a squad shouldnt be any issue at all.

Based on where he is in his career and this being a step up and oppertunity to prove himself, I'm sure the board could get him and his team from Alloa for less money collectivly than someone like Shields would expect individually.

Hartley lacks top flight experience yes but his record at lower league level is nothing short of amazing when you look at how he started at Alloa. He has earned this move with what he has achieved. All other mentioned candidates carry a lot of baggage whereas with Hartley being untested but promising most folks seem to think he is the man to take charge. Think the fans will get behind him from the word go.

• Agree 2

Interesting developments and a good bit of PR releasing that statement.

I was thinking the new managerial appointment was imminent but know we know it'll likely be a week away. Fair play. It's a big decision for the board.

Interesting that some of the candidates are still at clubs. Obviously Hartley, but maybe a couple of 'wildcards' that have slipped under the radar! Intriguing stuff.

At least now I don't have to keep logging in here every half-hour...until next week!

• Agree 2

Thanks for the clarification. At least the fans are back in the loophole of things again instead of relying on the press.

From a personal point of view, I am gutted that we are not appointing a manager till next week but I trust the board to get this absolutely correct. No disrespect to Morton but we are in a case where we didn't need to rush an appointment for this game so having Duncan Shearer and Scott Kellacher in the dugout makes sense.

Interesting to see we didn't deny the Paul Hartley story and instead mentioned about the other clubs that are involved. I wonder if indeed Derek Adams did apply for the job :ninja:

Edited by ICTRoughi

"Others had club commitments which meant they could not meet us until later in the week."

= midweek games = Champions League :ohmy: 

Just so long as it's not Lennon.

There was also a pretty full programme of English lower league/Conference games last night.....

"Others had club commitments which meant they could not meet us until later in the week."

= midweek games = Champions League :ohmy: 

Just so long as it's not Lennon.

There was also a pretty full programme of English lower league/Conference games last night.....

Interestingly, Chris Sutton's Wroxham FC don't have a midweek fixture.