FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Views and news on a few players

Eagle4Caley

Chaps….what’s the latest on Jamie Vincent, I believe he was out ‘til Christmas, can we expect a return early in the NewYear?

I notice that David Raven has been sitting on the bench since his return from injury, is Tremarco playing that well, or was Raven playing poorly before his injury.

Marley Watkins… I thought Vincent was the ‘find of the season’, but he got injured too soon, however Watkins has come in, in a different role and looks like he is providing  a constant threat, the BBC report from the Hearts match yesterday said ‘he supplied most of the forward momentum in their engine room.’ He certainly impressed me when I came up, and from comments on this site seems quite highly rated…could he be a potential POTY?

Dean Brill has come in, and not given Esson a sniff of the goalkeeping jersey, in terms of goalies over the last few seasons how do you guys rate him?

Aaron Doran… I see his name mentioned a fair bit in match reports, for good strikes on goal, and he has weighed in with a couple recently, when I have watched him he kind of frustrates me, as I think he could be a really good player, is he having a good spell at the mo?

Billy McKay….scored two yesterday and already has a decent tally for the season, does anyone think he might be a transfer target for someone come January (and not just Butcher), and would the board let him go if decent money were offered?

Vincent is stepping up his rehab apparently, hopefully back soon.

Tough on Raven to be dropped but you can't disrupt a defence that isn't conceding and Shinnie has been brilliant at right back.

Watkins has done very well, set up both goals yeserday, is strong and skillful and good in the air.  A better option than Williams and/or Greenhalgh.

Doran has a great shot on him and can deliver fantastic balls into the box but often takes the wrong option or delays and slows play down when moving the ball quicker would be better.  He was playing better early in the season, I think he'll get back to that,

Not sure Hibs could afford McKay, the guy is quality.  Rumours have been that several Championship clubs have had him on their radar (Sheffield Wednesday and Millwall being two).  His contract has a bit to go so unless we get an unturndownable bid in January I'd say no-sale until the summer.

I've decided to not mention the 'E' word (Europe) this season after thinking it was almost a cert at the 'split' last season! It just set me up for a massive deflated fall as the wheels came off in the post-split games!

It's maybe too early yet despite us having a fantastic season and being beautifully placed in all three competitions.

But it's feasible we could have our best ever season and not qualify for Europe! I'm happy to progress domestically and if Europe materialises as a result, then that's a bonus!

I've decided to not mention the 'E' word (Europe) this season after thinking it was almost a cert at the 'split' last season! It just set me up for a massive deflated fall as the wheels came off in the post-split games!

It's maybe too early yet despite us having a fantastic season and being beautifully placed in all three competitions.

But it's feasible we could have our best ever season and not qualify for Europe! I'm happy to progress domestically and if Europe materialises as a result, then that's a bonus!

As much as I'd like to see Caley in a European tournament, I fear that we'd compromise too much fitness during our season. By the end of last season, I think the players had enough. I wouldn't like to see additional games on top of that, but I may be wrong and we may manage it fine. :) 

Chaps….what’s the latest on Jamie Vincent, I believe he was out ‘til Christmas, can we expect a return early in the NewYear? : In a recent interview on the club's official YouTube channel, Yogi confirmed that James Vincent had been told that he could step up his training and move closer to full fitness. I for one am looking forward to the return of James Vincent however it's going to give Yogi a selection headache because although I thought Vincent is better in the CAM role than Nick Ross, he has been playing well. If you take Nick out of there and put him back on the wing then have the headache of Nick Ross vs Marley Watkins and I personally want both players on the pitch

I notice that David Raven has been sitting on the bench since his return from injury, is Tremarco playing that well, or was Raven playing poorly before his injury: I think the reason for Raven's absence from the squad is basically that Graeme Shinnie and Carl Tremarco have been very good defensively there's no reason to put Raven back in - as the saying goes "Why fix something that isn't broken" I have also been watching Raven play in the U20 squad and he is still playing his usual game but tends to get caught out at times but the main thing for Raven to do is to maintain his fitness as he could be drafted into the squad at anytime and I personally feel happy to have a good back up in David Raven. 

Marley Watkins… I thought Vincent was the ‘find of the season’, but he got injured too soon, however Watkins has come in, in a different role and looks like he is providing  a constant threat, the BBC report from the Hearts match yesterday said ‘he supplied most of the forward momentum in their engine room.’ He certainly impressed me when I came up, and from comments on this site seems quite highly rated…could he be a potential POTY? : I attended the game and I thought that Marley Watkins was the stand out for the team. As mentioned above it's going to give Yogi a selection headache when James Vincent comes back into the team but I have been very impressed since Watkins has come into the team. 

Dean Brill has come in, and not given Esson a sniff of the goalkeeping jersey, in terms of goalies over the last few seasons how do you guys rate him?: I am going to go out on a limb here and say that Dean Brill so far is better than Antonio Reguero was last season. During pre season I was very dubious on Dean's performances but then friendlies are only games that focus on match fitness but Brill has been a very consistent goalkeeper since Reguero has left but what makes Brill stand out is that I feel he organises the defence better than Reguero did. With Brill in goals I feel like we are in safe hands.  :getmecoat:

Regarding Ryan Esson, no offence intended but I would like to see him as a coach for the club and we develop Nick Draper and Cameron MacKay into the back up to Dean. 

Aaron Doran… I see his name mentioned a fair bit in match reports, for good strikes on goal, and he has weighed in with a couple recently, when I have watched him he kind of frustrates me, as I think he could be a really good player, is he having a good spell at the mo? : When I think of Aaron Doran, I don't really expect goals from him. The style of play that he has is that he creates the attacking moves and that is something he has done very well since Jonny Hayes left. I feel that Doran hasn't put a foot wrong in the last two seasons and he's done really well for the team. Of course it's nice when Doran scores goals but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't... (Unless he misses a game changing opportunity) 

Billy McKay….scored two yesterday and already has a decent tally for the season, does anyone think he might be a transfer target for someone come January (and not just Butcher), and would the board let him go if decent money were offered?: I have seen people saying that various clubs scouts (Including Celtic) attended the game yesterday to watch Billy. I think that it's inevitable that offers will be made for Billy but it's down to club at the end of the day and if the offer is best for the club then we trust the board. Hypothetically if Billy was to go then it would be Yogi's choice to get a replacement and that would be something I would watch with interest. Toby Adgestein, I am starting to think he might be a goner with his contract up next month and then we would be left with Curtis Allen - No thanks. 

I wonder if the Arsenal link is still there after Philip Roberts and maybe we might be able to get a replacement there if needed. Remember Yogi picked out a young Anthony Stokes from Arsenal youths for Falkirk and then look what happened! 

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 2

Vincent is stepping up his rehab apparently, hopefully back soon.

Tough on Raven to be dropped but you can't disrupt a defence that isn't conceding and Shinnie has been brilliant at right back.

Watkins has done very well, set up both goals yeserday, is strong and skillful and good in the air.  A better option than Williams and/or Greenhalgh.

Doran has a great shot on him and can deliver fantastic balls into the box but often takes the wrong option or delays and slows play down when moving the ball quicker would be better.  He was playing better early in the season, I think he'll get back to that,

Not sure Hibs could afford McKay, the guy is quality.  Rumours have been that several Championship clubs have had him on their radar (Sheffield Wednesday and Millwall being two).  His contract has a bit to go so unless we get an unturndownable bid in January I'd say no-sale until the summer.

I could understand the Millwall link since Lomas is there... I wouldn't be terribly happy to see him go there, but I could imagine he would do well. Be nice if ICT could give him an improved contract

It also features the richest game in football (or any sport), the Championship play-off final!

Yep I was there this year...fantastic when you win, absolute ***** when you lose...Palace have won four times and lost once (to a last minute goal off Steve Claridges shin) this year worth minimum of £120m apparently (spread over several years).... In 2014 I'm hoping its a final in Glasgow I'm going to, if its the SLC I will have quite a journney since I have pre-booked expecting a home match in Inverness (but covering bases with rail tickets to, and hotel, in Glasgow!)

Sorry... talk around Billy McKay has moved us slightly off topic!

Edited by Eagle4Caley

I think it's the case that if we receive a reasonable bid for any of our players they'll be off. Just the nature of it. We can't, as a small club, afford to turn down decent money. a £500k plus bid for Mckay would probably pay wages for 4 new 1st team players for a couple of years and pay bills. It sounds a little dull but books need balanced.