FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Transfer Window approaching.

Guest Shaun

I think what we all want is to  find out for sure what their plans and intentions, including what offers they already have  received, are

From the players' standpoint, I see it as being advantageous for both parties, player and ICT , to be completely honest and  up front with each other.

None of these T Butcher shenanigans again, please. :notworthy:

Some Twitter chat about Birmingham having a bid accepted for Shinnie and he is likely to be away soonish. Source seems to be Ewan Murray. Think of that what you will.

Would be surprised if Shinnie plays many more times for Inverness... Birmingham City bid expected.

0 replies 10 retweets 3 favorites

He may be right, but he may be wrong! It's always easy to remember when somebody has 'called' something correctly - but the 'wrongs' are easily forgotten!

His cheap dig at Inverness and County is off-the-mark. He's trying to claim that our derbies were attracting more fans in the bottom tier of Scottish football!

6,000 in tier 4? I don't think so!

It was his post before the Shinnie one I was referring to....

" I think more than 6,000  people watched a Highland derby in Third Division. That number now can't be matched in top tier. Also telling."

Edit:

As he's clearly 'allowed' to edit his tweets, I'll also edit this - he's now amended his figure to read 5,000 as opposed to read 6,000.

Which conveniently just fits his claim, as there were indeed 5,017 at one game in the 3rd division. But fortunately, I took a screenshot of his original post!

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 1

He's trying to claim that our derbies were attracting more fans in the bottom tier of Scottish football!

6,000 in tier 4? I don't think so!

Sneckboy.... it's not far off it. There were even 4931 at Telford St on 23.1.96. and then 5017 at Victoria Park on 12.2.97 followed by 5525 at the Caledonian Stadium on 17.3.97., which remained a Third Division record until Rangers were relegated.

I do believe that, in the Premiership/SPL, some derby crowds did rise to over 6000. But of late, yesterday's 4887 and in particular the 3745 in Inverness in October are well below attendances registered at Highland Derbies during ICT's last two seasons in the Third Division.

Presumably there's quite a difference in ticket prices since Div 3.

Indeed. The ticket prices will have changed but the one thing that will have remained consistent is that Ewan Murray will always remain a complete melt.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 7

Presumably there's quite a difference in ticket prices since Div 3.

Indeed there has. Although there has also been a significant inflation factor since 1994, tickets during the first season were £4, and £2 for concessions. Season tickets were £50 and £25 but this was still significantly more expensive than the £20/£10 for Caley in the Highland League the previous season.

Anecdotally, I do recollect that the £4 etc was regarded as quite expensive at the time by a few fans, but not especially strongly so. I do believe that prices went up again fairly soon after that.

The average attendance was 1275 for the first, Baltacha season, including a couple of derbies and an initial novelty factor which quite soon evaporated.

The second season, still at Telford St, yielded 1579 as the "Pele factor" kicked in. Still in Division 3,  the first half of the third season, which included several early Caledonian Stadium gates in the 2300 - 4500 range, averaged 2300. Then the second half of that Championship season gave 2676.

To summarise the later years, again anecdotally, I have a memory of attendances typically approaching 2000 in Division 1 and rising to an average of over 4000 in the SPL before the decline of recent years which has taken this down to what will be an average of about 3700 for the season to date.

However crowds of around 2000 at ticket prices which, around the turn of the millennium, would have been around £12 - £15 (??) are not going to generate a lot of cash and this would have contributed to the debt of over £2 million which came close to putting ICT into administration before the Trust bailout of 2000-01.

I think the novelty factor is the biggest reason. The first derby was 20 years ago, but because the landscape was constantly changing, i.e. both climbing up the divisions and levelling up over time - each season always felt like a whole new ball game. The gaps in between where we had to wait for County to reach the same division as us also helped to keep the fixture fresh. Now that we're both established in the top league and we aren't competing directly with each other (i.e. both challenging for promotion / top 6 / relegation etc) the fixture has lost it's bite. I think if we were more evenly matched fans would be more engaged.  

Edited by AlexJones

Oddly enough I'm kind of pleased. I just don't want him to go to Aberdeen!

Suspect if he goes to Birmingham it will be in January as they are trying to climb into top 10 and will have money

If it is Aberdeen it will be end of season on a PCA as the Dons like their chairman are miserable b******s and would not pay for him

I don't think Shinnie is as good as some folk build him up to be and doubt a big money offer will be made for him.

He may however secure a pre contract as mentioned with Brum or whoever his agent can do the business with.

Fair enough for him to see the season thru

I don't think Shinnie is as good as some folk build him up to be and doubt a big money offer will be made for him.

He may however secure a pre contract as mentioned with Brum or whoever his agent can do the business with.

Think most people will probably disagree with you ten4. He is a great player and deserves any big move he gets. I would say a move to a bigger club will certainly get him in about the national team, even if backup to robertson.

• Agree 4

Spotted a number of ICT players at Clach today - Mckay, Devine, Doran and Tansey amongst them. Wee bit worried that the likes of Mckay and Tansey might be signing deals with the Lilywhites  :sad:

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 3

Hes a quality player and I wouldn't be surprised if a bid comes in from a club not officially mentioned yet, to secure his services and whatever a potential club pays out, it isn't lost money as they still have Shinnie as an asset to sell on in the future.

As a completely hypothetical question, how would our fans feel if Ched Evans wanted to relaunch his career away from the glare of publicity at a low profile club like ours?

I'm not sure how I feel about Ched Evans tbh. Doubt I'd want him to play for us tbh but I'm uncomfortable that he's served his time but the media and now the Government don't seem to want him to resume his life and earn a living.....

• Agree 1

He's still on parole, so not technically "served his time"...which is why the MoJ have said it would be impossible for him to work abroad.

Leaving aside my personal thoughts on the matter, it would be logistically impossible for him to play for ICTFC as we do not have the infrastructure required to meet the (reported) conditions of his parole.

He's still on parole, so not technically "served his time"...which is why the MoJ have said it would be impossible for him to work abroad.

Leaving aside my personal thoughts on the matter, it would be logistically impossible for him to play for ICTFC as we do not have the infrastructure required to meet the (reported) conditions of his parole.

I stand corrected. It's a bit of an ethical dilemma should footballers who commit a serious crime be treated differently to say a plumber? I don't know really...

Can't imagine many women being happy that we had signed a convicted rapist. Forgetting the appeal he was found guilty would many people be happy at someone like that representing the name of ICT may he rot in you know where asfar as im concerned Who would be happy trusting their daughters in his company I wouldn't

• Agree 1

I reckon we could well have a busy and nervy transfer window :-(.

Can see pre contracts for players to replace Graeme Shinnie and Billy Mckay plus I can see Horner and Sekajja leaving too freeing up wages for another 2, if John wants replacements for them.

Was quite concerned with marleys interview in the paper seems in no hurry to sign another contract and makes no bones about the fact he wants to go back to England again Would love him to sign a new contract as imho he had been outstanding