FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Vote of Confidence in Charlie Christie

Alex MacLeod

Do you think Charlie Christie should be allowed the chance to build his own team over the summer and be given another full season to show what he can do.  

304 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

"If the general is weak and not disciplined, his instructions not clear, the officers and troops lack discipline and their formation in disarray, this is called chaos...

If the general is kind to the troops, but cannot use them, or if the general loves the troops, but cannot command them, or if the general does not discipline the troops, but cannot establish order, the troops are like spoiled children and are useless."

Sun Tzu - The Art of War, Ch 10, Ground Formations

Quote - Intelligent approach to conflict and competition.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leadership: Do you have it in you? - Richa Pant - November 22, 2006

Nothing succeeds like success, they say. We all want to be successful in our careers, be it in our roles as individuals, team players or team leaders. Taking responsibility for one's actions is a key component of success as an individual. And taking responsibilty for what  your team does is a key component of leadership. When one doesn't do that, failure is just around the corner.

At your workplace, you will often hear people passing the buck when something goes wrong. These people are definitely not going very high up the ladder. You will find most of them projecting the same pattern in their reasoning and approach to life, as well -- that nothing was their fault, including the incidents that happen in their personal lives as well.

Blame and excuses: hallmarks of an unsuccessful leader

Avoiding responsibility in one's personal life carries over into one's professional life, and vice versa. Excuses for failure and the choices you make at workplace fuel dysfunctional thinking and, subsequently, undesirable behaviour and actions. "Making excuses, rather than taking 100 per cent responsibility for your actions, decisions, and their outcomes, is the hallmark of future failures," feels Anjali Singh, a 27-year old manager with a finance company in Delhi.

This is why taking responsibility is so powerfully important and is the essence of what can make or break a leader.

Take responsibility at workplace

Taking responsibility is the underlying factor behind success at work. If someone in your team makes a mistake, you must be able to admit it, take the necessary action and then proceed. This is something that many do not understand. No leader can be successful without being accountable for his/her own actions.

Being responsible ensures that even when events outside your control go awry, you can at least determine how you will react to the situation. You can make the situation a disaster or you can use it as an opportunity to learn and to grow.

"My friend is a manager in a new startup venture. Every time we meet, I am taken aback by her failure to take responsibility for what's going on in her work and life. Everything is always someone else's fault. She explains away each problem with reasons about why she can't influence the outcome," says Anjali.

"We are continuously confronted with external pressures at work that affect us greatly. It is how we react to these pressures that largely determine what we accomplish in our career. Those who take responsibility and recognise their own weakness in the way it relates to the problem are the ones who grow and accomplish. Those who blame others or ignore their roles, stagnate and achieve less," says Rishi Gupta, 29, a manager in a telecom company.

Why people don't admit their mistakes

"Mistakes bring about a feeling of tension and anxiety within the individual. At such times, the mind seeks rational ways of escaping the situation. A range of defence mechanisms can be triggered. These defence mechanisms are subconsciously employed to protect the ego and they tend to distort, transform, or otherwise falsify reality. One uses these 'deceptions' to avoid facing issues of guilt, failure, fear, emotional pain, or embarrassment. In distorting reality, there is a change in perception which helps to lessen anxiety," says psychologist Dr. Kanchan Misra. There are many defence mechanisms. Some examples are:

Denial: Claiming/believing what is true to be false

Projection: Attributing uncomfortable feelings to others

Displacement: Redirecting emotions to a substitute target

Rationalisation: Creating false but credible justifications

Intellectualisation: Taking an objective viewpoint in order to ignore the emotional aspect

Repression: Pushing uncomfortable thoughts into the subconscious

"Some defence mechanisms are healthy. However, we sometimes either use them at the wrong time or overuse them, which can be destructive," says Dr Misra. For example, a leader whose team keeps failing, may misuse defence mechanisms such as rationalisation, projection, or denial, often.

Common defensive expressions used at the workplace

"It was not my fault." (blaming others without accepting personal responsibility)

"It wasn't all that important." (belittling the act)

"It happened a long time ago." (implying it doesn't matter anymore)

"There was no other way out." (justification of wrong)

"It only happened once." (rationalisation)

"Everyone does it." (rationalisation)

"I am only human." (indirectly blaming god)

"Well, no one is perfect." (general comparison to shift the guilt)

"The contract we lost was not a good one anyway." (a case of 'sour grapes' -- another defense mechanism)

Guest Bonzo

Have you a gas oven at home?

No, I'm all electric .................. unlike Christie's style of management.

And, please don't degenerate into name calling when someones opinion differs from yours.

Have you a gas oven at home?

No, I'm all electric .................. unlike Christie's style of management.

And, please don't degenerate into name calling when someones opinion differs from yours.

Apologies to an extent.. heat of the moment due to a severe case of contradiction on your case, ie. asking for Ian Stewart to be manager who has not played anything other than 2 div football when you cite that as a reason for CC not being an able manager.

Also Robbo/Brew have proved themselves to be poor/very ordinary managers who got found out.

If the referee had blow his whistle two minutes earlier against Celtic and we were still in the cup, the above critics would be still in the woodwork.

No they wouldn't. Read most of the posts and it is the displays against Killie and the Pars that seem to have got to most people.

CC a bad manager!! Can I assume that the 88 minutes I watched at the Celtic game was played by a team that was not managed by CC? Can the last minute, 'get out of jail' goal by Lovell make CC a bad manager? Can the injuries to his key attackers, with our limited squad, make him a bad manager? Does being two points away from 7th place make him a bad manager?

While you could easily say no it doesn't make him a bad manager you could just as easily say it does.

Celtic: You could argue that it was his changes that affected the teams set up and lost us the game.

Aberdeen: In this game (I assume you mean the one at Pittodrie?) he put Caff on in midfield. You could argue that was the wrong decision when tightening up the defence would have been a better idea rather than play a defender out of position in midfield.

We did brilliantly for so long against Celtic but that can be cancelled out by the horrendous performance against Dunfermline which is what CC critics will point towards.

CC has offered the fans a change away from the punt up the field, to a passing game as we have witnessed, this change can not be implemented without some cost and this can be seen in the lack of ability of some of the players.

He has? We have played a lot of long ball this season from the games I have seen.

Form goes up and down. Happens everywhere. And I get really fed up all with the whole "sack the manager after a couple of bad games" mentality. If we were facing relegation, then it would be a different matter. But we aren't, and with the resources Inverness have at their disposal, we're never going to be any more than mid-table, no matter who's in charge. I would love to think we could challenge for a European place, but we have to have some sense of reality.

O.K.  Charlie is staying. Lets get behind him and give our support. He must now appreciate, that if we are going to perform next season, we must bring in good quality players for next season. The days of just bringing in players from lower divisions will not work. A new experienced goalkeeper, centre-half and forward are essential to take the club forward.

To say he should get the whole of next season isn't sensible.  You can't look that far in advance.

I have doubts about Charlie - he was probably the best candidate at the time but he has shown inexperience at times.  This whole episode was unnecessary and makes him look a bit lost as an SPL manager.  However, he has also coaxed some excellent performances from the team this season and his only major signing has come good with some excellent performances.  Markus looks like a good addition as well, although it's early days.

The real test for Christie comes thsi summer - we need to rebuild our defence and attack.  We have the potential for a very interesting midfield with the likes of Cowie and Black in the middle with Rankin, Paatelinan and Sutherland providing threats from out wide.  If we can recruit 2/3 solid defenders and a couple of pacey strikers I will be optimistic. 

To say he should get the whole of next season isn't sensible.  You can't look that far in advance.

I have doubts about Charlie - he was probably the best candidate at the time but he has shown inexperience at times.  This whole episode was unnecessary and makes him look a bit lost as an SPL manager.  However, he has also coaxed some excellent performances from the team this season and his only major signing has come good with some excellent performances.  Markus looks like a good addition as well, although it's early days.

The real test for Christie comes thsi summer - we need to rebuild our defence and attack.  We have the potential for a very interesting midfield with the likes of Cowie and Black in the middle with Rankin, Paatelinan and Sutherland providing threats from out wide.  If we can recruit 2/3 solid defenders and a couple of pacey strikers I will be optimistic. 

100% agree with that. spot on

As with Libero that's pretty much what I think as well  :003: