FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

who's our best midfield duo

dreamers

i really think our best midfield pairing are vigurs and black. black is a holding player who can spray balls side to side and is great at going short and demanding the ball off our defence and vigurs has the ability and class to rip apart a team with one pass. these two really could become a class act if given the chance by brew. i think they compliment each other when they play together (hibs game the two of them strolled and controlled that game). i think if we play that duo every week then our passing and holding onto the ball would improve enormously.

duncan is a good player but no match for vigurs when you have to consider how good vigurs is at only the age of twenty, and mcbain is mr invisible this season so definitely not my choice when it comes to the middle of the park. cowie i think is best suited further up the park playing just of one of the strikers so again i would pick vigurs over him. i only compare these guys to vigurs as i think black should be starting every game without a second thought unless injured.

so my choice is black and vigurs...our two most talented players by far with cowie coming in distant third.

Edited by boon

i really think our best midfield pairing are vigurs and black. black is a holding player who can spray balls side to side and is great at demanding the ball of our defence and vigurs has the ability and class to rip apart a team with one pass. these two really could become a class act if given the chance by brew. i think they compliment each other when they play together (hibs game the two of them strolled and controlled that game). i think if we play that duo every week then our passing and holding onto the ball would improve enormously.

duncan is a good player but no match for vigurs when you have to consider how good vigurs is at only the age of twenty, and mcbain is mr invisible this season so definitely not my choice when it comes to the middle of the park. cowie i think is best suited further up the park playing just of one of the strikers so again i would pick vigurs over him. i only compare these guys to vigurs as i think black should be starting every game without a second thought unless injured.

so my choice is black and vigurs...our two most talented players by far with cowie coming in distant third.

I think that we have a few very good midfielders, the best pairing is dependant on what tactics we are using and players been played in the correct position/side of the park. Against Falkirk recently good players like black and vigurs were made to look ordinary due to the tactics been deployed

Duncan is a "must" away from home - but behind Black and Vigurs. Black could well be the holding and ball player at home in the future - but Vigurs aint ready yet.

why do you think vigurs isn't ready yet? what is it he lacks at, that doesn't make him ready?

i really think our best midfield pairing are vigurs and black. black is a holding player who can spray balls side to side and is great at demanding the ball of our defence and vigurs has the ability and class to rip apart a team with one pass. these two really could become a class act if given the chance by brew. i think they compliment each other when they play together (hibs game the two of them strolled and controlled that game). i think if we play that duo every week then our passing and holding onto the ball would improve enormously.

I think that we have a few very good midfielders, the best pairing is dependant on what tactics we are using and players been played in the correct position/side of the park. Against Falkirk recently good players like black and vigurs were made to look ordinary due to the tactics been deployed

i think blsck and vigurs should be played in the centre of the park so i agree they have to be in the correct position.

Seen Cowie play in the holding role so i would play him and Black in the middle. Duncans a waste of space imo, inaccurate passes, untidy touches etc. And i think Vigurs is better out wide.

Have to agree Black and Vigurs. Black can do the donkey work and Vigurs can create.

The only positive to a miserable season so far is Blacks form and the introduction of Vigurs to the first team.

Brewster needs to give Vigurs a run of games in the central position and stop moving him all over the park as he did in the last home game against Falkirk.

Have to agree Black and Vigurs. Black can do the donkey work and Vigurs can create.

The only positive to a miserable season so far is Blacks form and the introduction of Vigurs to the first team.

Brewster needs to give Vigurs a run of games in the central position and stop moving him all over the park as he did in the last home game against Falkirk.

yeah i completely agree with you forresjags, brew has been shifting vigurs all over the middle of the park and it's not doing him any favours but he still is showing his class. i really hope brew gives vigurs a good run of games in the middle though because i really think he could be one of our best players given the chance. a lot of people are just happy to stick with our boring pairings(duncan and mcbain) at the moment, im sorry, but people have to wake up and realise its not working...you play your best players and vigurs and black are that. they are the two most talented along with cowie. the first two names i would put down in midfield every game would be black vigurs and then i would base the team around our two best players.

yeah i completely agree with you forresjags, brew has been shifting vigurs all over the middle of the park and it's not doing him any favours but he still is showing his class. i really hope brew gives vigurs a good run of games in the middle though because i really think he could be one of our best players given the chance. a lot of people are just happy to stick with our boring pairings(duncan and mcbain) at the moment, im sorry, but people have to wake up and realise its not working...you play your best players and vigurs and black are that. they are the two most talented along with cowie. the first two names i would put down in midfield every game would be black vigurs and then i would base the team around our two best players.

I also agree with Black and Vigours but young Vigours has to be played in the middle as his strength is his vision and passing. Having seen him recently he has definately bulked up a fair bit which can only help with the physical side of his game which previously was his only weakness.

I also agree with Black and Vigours but young Vigours has to be played in the middle as his strength is his vision and passing. Having seen him recently he has definately bulked up a fair bit which can only help with the physical side of his game which previously was his only weakness.

yeah he's apparently spent a lot of extra time in the gym and stays behind after training.

Duncan is a "must" away from home - but behind Black and Vigurs. Black could well be the holding and ball player at home in the future - but Vigurs aint ready yet.

IHE I dont often disagree with you but Duncan is good at breaking up play, HOWEVER he then gives the feckin ball back to the opposition. so what is the worst of two evils, Play or Benched? Best midfield Duo for me is (at present) Duncan and Black though Duncan wont even pass to Blackie, (cant believe im saying this)but what I do agree with is in the future Blackie and Vigurs, he is not a seasoned player yet, but this will come, he needs more experience, unfortunatly the only way to get this is by playing, catch 22, we dont have the luxury of beeing that far up the table we can put our inexperienced players in and out at will.

IHE I dont often disagree with you but Duncan is good at breaking up play, HOWEVER he then gives the feckin ball back to the opposition

You mean like against Aberdeen for our second goal?

I would go with Black and Vigurs without a doubt, a lot of effort in every game from Black and defence slicing passes from Vigurs. They both linked really well in the Hibs game and a lot of our attacks came from Vigurs setting up Cowie and Imrie to run onto while Black also had the confidence to come up the park as well when he saw the time was right.

You actually appear to be agreeing with me Gillian - Blackie would be a great holding player in a better team - and will probably get there in the future - but he is THE only real playmaker at the club at the moment - Vigurs has the potential to take over but aint ready YET.

Duncan struggles when he hasnt got Black or Cowie to pass the easy ball to - otherwise I still think that he is one of the best holding players in the SPL and is so reliable - but he is put into the play maker role and fails miserably.

I feel that Proctor should be put into the mifield mix more regularly and Vigurs perservered with - Cowie - Proctor - Black - Vigurs - Sutherland (Zander would drop out at home) - that would be my "away" dream team - and save us a lot of spondoolachs. Duncan would be a squad player and would possibly accept that.

Smack a mobile forward in front of that 5 and ???

You actually appear to be agreeing with me Gillian - Blackie would be a great holding player in a better team - and will probably get there in the future - but he is THE only real playmaker at the club at the moment - Vigurs has the potential to take over but aint ready YET.

Duncan struggles when he hasnt got Black or Cowie to pass the easy ball to - otherwise I still think that he is one of the best holding players in the SPL and is so reliable - but he is put into the play maker role and fails miserably.

I feel that Proctor should be put into the mifield mix more regularly and Vigurs perservered with - Cowie - Proctor - Black - Vigurs - Sutherland (Zander would drop out at home) - that would be my "away" dream team - and save us a lot of spondoolachs. Duncan would be a squad player and would possibly accept that.

I wouldnt disagree with much of that but feel Zander might be a better asset at home when we should be more attacking and he would give us some width rather than away

Duncan may not be the most talented midfielder on the books but he has been our most consistent and reliable player since we entered the SPL.He would be the first midfielder on my teamsheet every time.

Vigurs blows hot and cold at present which is only to be expected from a young inexperienced player but I believe that in the long term he might just be the best midfielder in the history of ICT. He's one player I'd like to see tied up on a four year deal as soon as possible.

Edited by Kingsmills

IME okay I agree in most, but, Blackie is the BEST playmaker we have, as he reads the game, Vigurs has the potential to be a Great player, but reading the game is something that is in them, I dont believe this comes with experience, and im not sure Vigurs has this ability, I hope he has because with a football brain and good skill as we see in Blackie he (Vigurs) could become even greater. Duncan struggles in the playmaker role, so why does Brew insist in playing him in this role, it beggars belief, but do me a favour, watch the passing between or from Duncan to Black, he WONT pass to him, However, as Brew, Malky and the team will have read this this morning, they will change it today. Proctor I believe should be playing Right Back, drop Tokety, one game in around 15 dosnt do it for me. My midfield would be Wilson, Cowie, Black, Vigurs and Imrie, put a forward in front of that.??????? What about Liam Buchanan, I know I keep on about him, but he is almost back to his best, scoring goals, we had him up when CC was in charge, IME we are continuing to discuss this and come January it wont make a difference, we will have to take Black out of the equasion as he wont be here, we have offered him nothing, so what would be your line up then,

Dropping Tokely after 2 of his best performances of the season, why?

Are you serious, and I quote "2 of his best performances", is that all that is required of the players, never mind the other dozen or so where he was posted missing, listen to yourself, I cant believe i am even answering this, what I will give you is Why NOT play him ? we are continuing to do what we always do, NOTHING, and going with what we have, because we dont look for anything better, Finances, Whatever, Bronson, I dont believe I have ever answered one of your quotes, but because tempers are flaring at the moment and mine included I think we should just agree to disagree, for me 2 good games isnt enough, for you that maybee the case, but not for me.

Dropping Tokely after 2 of his best performances of the season, why?

Are you serious, and I quote "2 of his best performances", is that all that is required of the players, never mind the other dozen or so where he was posted missing, listen to yourself, I cant believe i am even answering this, what I will give you is Why NOT play him ? we are continuing to do what we always do, NOTHING, and going with what we have, because we dont look for anything better, Finances, Whatever, Bronson, I dont believe I have ever answered one of your quotes, but because tempers are flaring at the moment and mine included I think we should just agree to disagree, for me 2 good games isnt enough, for you that maybee the case, but not for me.

I think Tokely should be rested yes, but I can't remember a game where he has been "posted missing."

Obviously I got you on a bad day Gillian ! :rotflmao: I just think that Tokely is made the scapegoat time after time by some posters, yet IMO he consistently gives 100%.

I have no issue re dropping players who under perform, but this must be consistent across the board.