FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dundee Utd -V- Inverness C.T.

Scotty

That was utter pish from us. Looked liked a pub team at times. Foran looked so slow and should have come off at half time. Calamity play for their goals and Richie lost it with brill big style which might have contributed to his awful kicks. One of which that led to their second. We look like we should be in the bottom half of the table the way we played. Shocking. Vincent was poor.

Need to seriously have a long look at who is starting, I now think Europe is out and we don't really deserve it. Maybe let's let the young lads get some game time.

Polworths goal was awesome.

Bit of a random summary but it's fecking freezing and I am raging at how we played!!!!

Season over? Europe probably out with our reach and with our form since Christmas 6th will be a distinct possibility. Ach well there's always next season   after such a great time pre yogi it's been a pretty disappointing second half of the season league cup excepted. Not even confident of beating st mirren on Saturday now. Seems like we had lots of possession again but that means nothing if you lose. On a positive note great to see polworth scoring  

Ah well we were never going to get anything out of this after conceding the first goal. At least we scored for the second consecutive match.

The challenge now is to hold off St Johnstone for the extra prize money for fifth place.

It's been fun having the novelty of top six this season and last for which, despite the manner of their leaving, I'm grateful to TB and MM. Got a feeling that next season will be a different matter but, unless we are in dire relegation trouble, that might be an opportunity to bring on the likes of Christie an Polworth with an eye on two or three seasons time.

This time last week I wrote this: "I'm not necessarily slating Yogi's team selection but what I would heavily criticise is his tactical awareness in terms of playing to our players strengths." This week, I feel exactly the same way and it worries me. We finished the game tonight with no natural wingers on the pitch. We lost a goal from meaningless passing across the defence and we continually play players out of position. I am worried about Yogi's tactical awareness 

Top six will all take lots of points off each other so if we can get a good run together we can still at least equal last season's position and perhaps even go one better.  But in order to do that we have got to score more goals.  It's all very well trying to keep a clean sheet but at the moment we are shakey at the back and are giving away goals.  If you are not scoring at the other end, there is more pressure on the defence and it makes them more nervous.  In any case, it doesn't matter how good you are defensively, a bit of attacking brilliance can always undo you.  All the other 5 teams in the top six have players who on their day are capable of seriously harming the opposition's goals difference. 

If we are going to get a string of good results it has to be on the back of a recognition that we are going to concede and therefore we simply have to be more adventurous up front.  It sounds as though young Polworth has led the way today by having the courage to have a go when the opportunity arose.  We have a number of players who have a good shot on them and we need to be looking to score.  A bit more width gives the opportunity to get behind defences and opens up the middle for long range shooting.  We are now at the stage of the season where winning is far more important than not losing and we need to set up to score goals. 

St Mirren desparately need to get something out of the match on Saturday and will be short on confidence.  We really need to use them as target practice and get our goal scoring confidence back.  Lets take up on Saturday where Polworth left off tonight and get them shooting boots on.  A good attacking approach and a good win could get us back on track for a good end to the season.  If we don't make it to the top 3 or even 4th, then let's at least play attractive attacking football in trying.

A couple of mistakes at the back cost us the game, but we were so poor going forward, yet again.  We just don't attack with pace or purpose, and just can't hit on the break like we used to.  With the exception of Polworth's screamer, our shooting was so weak, every single time. The efforts that were on target were soft and straight to the keeper, and when Billy was neatly played through, he paused and then just made a hash of it. Worst I've seen him play, and any other team would drop him and bring in one of their back up strikers. Is it fatigue, lack of confidence, or both? Having said that, he was in the right place in the last minute to launch for a diving header but put it agonisingly wide when we thought he would score.

The arrival of Christie seemed to galvanise the team into suddenly wanting to attack and score.  He needs to start, probably instead of the ineffective Vincent.

• Agree 2

My player ratings out of 10:

Brill 4

Raven 6

Meekings 6

Warren 6

Shinnie 6

Tansey 4

Draper 6

Foran 6

Vincent 4

Watkins 6

Mckay 4

Hard to pick our MOM.  I thought Foran had a great first half, he was everywhere, whilst Watkins was a threat in the first but not in the game after that. Draper was tidy enough and pretty cosnsitent so maybe he notches it. 

Vincent virtually anonymous yet again tonight and also culpable at losing the ball in the build up to their first goal. What a waste having Ross and Christie on the bench. Not looking forward to seeing the blunder for their second.

• Agree 1

Intersting point about Yngwie's ratings is that Brill and Tansey who were stand out players at the week were apparently poor tonight.  It appears that nobody (with the probable exception of Shinnie) is playing to a reasonable standard with any consistency at the moment.  Just as you think someone seems up for it they disappoint in the next match and vice-versa.  Makes it difficult to know who to persist with and who to rest.  Perhaps a significant freshening up of the starting XI will do the trick.

Is Brill getting the blame again. from the sounds of it Meekings under hit the back pass and gave his keeper a lot to do. He's not good with backpasses, just hoof it out, either defender or keeper.

You bet he's getting the blame, absolute howler and he was lucky to get away with it half a dozen times against Partick. There is no end to his kicking inability.

I watched the incident on Alba and if anything Josh Meekings was at fault. Why did he pass it back Brill? All that does is invite pressure which in this instance resulted in a United goal. Josh should of cleared the ball instead - schoolboy defending. 

On a positive note. Liam Polworth's goal though  :thumbup:

• Agree 2

I was at the game,

• another defensive nightmare.
  • midfield were very static all game didn't want to go forword 
  • Vincent was missing ( he is not a right mid)
  • The defence dont help brill with shocking passes back to him.
  • Ryan Christie wanted the ball from the second he stepped on the pitch
  • Great strike from polworth

Christie for vincent next game for me 

Time For Esson as well.

Thought we were better first half.  Once again, Yogi has loaded the central midfield, and played others out of position.  People are having a go at Vincent, but why is he playing out wide? How many times was he out wide early season, when he had a stormer every game.  Players don't seem to know where they are meant to be, and confusion and frustration is evident to see. Let's get back to playing with width and pace.

Well done Liam Polworth - cracking goal!