FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Worst Dump In Scotland

Renegade

I've noticed one that hasn't been mentioned yet. Why the "City" of Sneck of course. Don't get me wrong there are some nice parts but the friendly neighbourhoods of Hilton and the Ferry are how shall we say bombsites.

There's definitely a fair share of, how you say, undesirables but compare Maryhill to a place with horses running in the open fields behind them and a short walk to a firth with a spectacular bridge and dolphins leaping out of the water and there's no contest.

Guest Caleylass

glasgow and any town within 30 miles of it!

Hey Stirling is a nice city, Glasgow City centre and west end is nice. My 3 fav cities/towns in Scotland are: Inverness, Glasgow and Stirling in that order. I have the plesure NOT of working in Coatbridge ....it really makes apreciate my home town of Stirling :rotflmao:

Ha! Ha! Ha! --I sure cannot top that--no pun intended. LOL

Yes poor old Bayview. Wouldn't it be nice if the old East Fife made it back to the SPL> I have my doubts hoe\wever if they would :

a. Meet the SPL requirements

b. Have the money to enter the SPL and at least get through one season. What the folks do there for jobs now is a mystery I am sure.

Forecast--No chance of them ever getting to the starting post in the short to medium term.

Sigh!

Hey Stirling is a nice city, Glasgow City centre and west end is nice. My 3 fav cities/towns in Scotland are: Inverness, Glasgow and Stirling in that order. I have the plesure NOT of working in Coatbridge ....it really makes apreciate my home town of Stirling :rotflmao:

"Stirling a nice city" yer havin a laugh. It was my nearest big town when I started going out on the pull and drinking. 20/25 years ago. It was a pit then and after spending the day there yesterday and the odd day over the years, I have to say, apart from Marches shopping centre, scewing about with road lay out and building a new train station, not much has changed. It is as dreech looking as ever, the shop assistants as dour as ever, worst accent in Scotland, peeing with rain, stinks of desiel fumes and no car parks open at night(that I could find). Almost as bad as the day I spent in Falkirk a couple of weeks back.

It looks like they are still spending fortunes in Raploch, Cornton, St Ninians but it all still needs flattened and started again. Few years ago I stopped at traffic lights in Raploch and 2 guys tried to nick my van with me in it. I was glad to see they have built a road so you don't have to drive through Drip Road now.

Its saving grace from a vote for worst dump in Scotland is Methill.

The latest issue of the Fantastic Four comic (the US not the UK version) has them visiting Scotland and ends with one of the characters saying she's moved to Coatbridge. Lucky girl!

[The latest issue of the Fantastic Four comic (the US not the UK version) has them visiting Scotland and ends with one of the characters saying she's moved to Coatbridge. Lucky girl!

Well,there's planty comics there right enuff :rotflmao:

Perth, East Kilbride, Stirling, Dumfries, Falkirk, patches of Glasgow. Gretna's pritty miserable as well

Edited by ajsict92

The latest issue of the Fantastic Four comic (the US not the UK version) has them visiting Scotland and ends with one of the characters saying she's moved to Coatbridge. Lucky girl!

I'm guessing that'll be the work of Mark Millar - one of Marvel Comics' most successful writers, but still tries to get his hometown of Coatbridge into his stories whenever possible!

Yeah, you're right. Millar it is (wrote Wanted that Angelina Jolie starred in for those not in the know).

Quite a good story as it happens. But that's Millar for you - either wonderful or mind-numbingly awful (a bit like Grant Morrison - wrote St Swithin's Day and Bible John on one hand and [yeughhhhh] Final Crisis on the other).

Yeah, you're right. Millar it is (wrote Wanted that Angelina Jolie starred in for those not in the know).

Quite a good story as it happens. But that's Millar for you - either wonderful or mind-numbingly awful (a bit like Grant Morrison - wrote St Swithin's Day and Bible John on one hand and [yeughhhhh] Final Crisis on the other).

Got to confess I'm not really a comic book reader. I'm more aware of Mark Millar than most names in comic writing because he went to school with a friend of mine - apparently he's completely down to earth, unchanged etc despite rubbing shoulders with Angelina Jolie.

Was slightly appalled when I went for a job at a Coatbridge school a couple of years back and in my interview no-one in the English department had heard of Mark Millar: perhaps they felt that comic books were beneath them or then again, as my mate suggested, perhaps it's because he attended "the other place". These things tend to assume an exaggerated importance in the central belt, as you might have noticed...

Sorry, back on topic - despite not getting the job in the end, I wouldn't say Coatbridge is the biggest dump in Scotland. There are some pretty grim bits of Possil, although it's got a lot better than it was (see "My Name is Joe"for Possil about 12 years ago). And Sighthill was known as "Stinkhill" among the kids at my old work - even the ones who lived there - because it was built on the old St Rollox chemical works and there are 200-odd years of sulphur and other chemicals leaking up through the soil, making it literally as well as metaphorically a dump. It's starting to be pulled down as well now though.

Edited by alternative maryhill