FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Worst Dump In Scotland

Renegade

Coatbridge is beautiful at this time of year...

Cumbernauld would probably get my vote, with Dundee a close second.

Someone told me once the best view of Dundee is the one in your rearview mirror as you head across the Tay Bridge to the hallowed sanctuary of the Kingdom of Fife.

I've never really understood that part about Dundee. I've not explored it fully and there may well be some horrific places inside but I've regularly made the journey to around the harbour area and it's always looked spectacular. As I said, I can't include the inner Dundee too well but can it be as bad as parts of Glasgow?

The most hideous part of Scotland, I'm sorry to say, must have been my bedroom when about 8 to 10 years old. Sad but true. Aside from that, Airdrie was pretty horrific. Places that have a lot going for it, like Dumfries and Saltcoats are unfortunately ruined by a disproportionate number of neds (but certainly in the SW it's easy to escape). I guess overall it's Glasgow. Some great places but just remembering some others [shudder].

Has to be Methill as worst town visited, depressing. Worst place I have lived its hard to choose between Aviemore and Dewsbury. Aviemore for the old centre(don't know what new one is like) and nothing happened. I know its supposed to be Scotland but, Dewsbury needs a mention for most of the people(loudmouth, chauvanist,racists, chavs) council is toooo PC and it looks dire.

Edited by Dewsburydude

Guest Muir-Jaggie

Halkirk

Don't you mean Falkirk?

No. Its up north near Wick

Yeah I know.... but is it the "worst town/city/village/ you've ever been to?

If so... Why?

Is it no a village???

Full of smug :rotflmao: all looking down your neck as if your a peace of sh*t

Someone told me once the best view of Dundee is the one in your rearview mirror as you head across the Tay Bridge to the hallowed sanctuary of the Kingdom of Fife.

Johnboy ya daftie ,yer were heading the wrang way over the bridge :rotflmao: whit happened to you on Saturday??

Well said Starchief, a lot of folk take a pop at Dundee from their impression driving round the Kingsway or the snide comments of the likes of Frankie Boyle and Tam Cowan,who surely are merely deflecting the far worse problems in their own locale. Broughty Ferry and the west end of Dundee are great places,The town centers vastly improved and many of the schemes are much spruced up.Everyone i know who went to Uni etc loves the place,of course there are issues but there's plenty of positives as well.

Campbelltown, Scotland.

Everything was grey, the buildings, the sky, the people.......................

..............mind you, I think the place was shut when we arrived.

Depressing place.

Been all around Scotland and the results for the worst places by the Gringo jury are (in no particular order):-

Alness ? just depressing.

Cumbernauld ? a Glasgow overflow and also depressing.

Aberdeen ? I found it to be a dull place with folk walking around as if depressed and about to call the Samaritans. And the ?beach? was filthy.

Glasgow ? Partick, oh dear oh dear?should be flattened.

Glasgow ? Barrhead --- as above.

Glasgow ? East end, just a simple ride into the city on the train from the south will reveal all ? kind of makes me want to turn around and go straight back down the road.

Wick ? also depressing and even worse when its raining (which is most of the time)

Aviemore ? just a rip off holiday resort full of tourists. Local folk also appear to be miserable especially those behind the counters in the various shops / pubs. (The Winking Owl was the only exception to this rule, they always appear to be friendly whenever I have been in there)

Kyle of Lochalsh ? nothing there of any interest now that the ferry has gone. Scenery is good though (if you can see it!!)

Invergordon ? would only be of interest if you liked oil rigs / drilling platforms.

Livingston ? just a new town sprawl with absolutely nothing of any interest.

What's the worst town/city/village or individual area of a town/city you've been to? Go on name and shame. Answers on a postcard please..

After you........

Alright then...

Cumbernauld - Thank God I've never got out of the car and only passed through it. Everything is grey and the buildings are in weird shapes that just look weird. A good bomb might do some good.

The area around Ibrox - Dump is not the word to use, hell-on-Earth-like-Hellhole would be a better one. An absolutely hidieous place, looked like Nagasaki or Hiroshima after the atomic bomb had gone off. Luckily didn't get out of the car there either, or I would've been dead in about three minutes.

Johnboy ya daftie ,yer were heading the wrang way over the bridge :rotflmao: whit happened to you on Saturday??

H/Dee : I've been a huge fan of Brewster the player for a long time...

When I heard he wasn't going to be playing on Saturday I had to have a long hard think about it....

There was a wee flurry of snow around here at 12.00 and I remembered this quote of yours from another thread and thought... feck it.

Being Scottish is about standing at places like Gayfield and Methil freezing to death watching fitba in conditions that fowk would get prosecuted for taking their dog out in,

I would have to say Broxburn and Bathgate - not very bonnie!

Dundee - pre it's facelift.

If I had not worked there for a number of years I would not, however, have enjoyed the Ferry, that's Broughty Ferry, it is/was different class, the Caley Golf Club at Carnoustie, the easy escape into North Fife and, of course, the famous Dundee 'pae'! Oh, and Shuggies Pub, up the Hilltown.

Nor would I have known that I carried a 'fave' iron in my golf bag!

I've noticed one that hasn't been mentioned yet. Why the "City" of Sneck of course. Don't get me wrong there are some nice parts but the friendly neighbourhoods of Hilton and the Ferry are how shall we say bombsites.

What's the down on Methil, pray/

Home of the former illustrious East Fife, once THE premier team in Scotland, so good that the demand for exhibition matches in England exhausted their players and in some measure led to their gradual demise from the top flight.

But Bowling Green Street, Methil, has some fond memories for me as a very young man just back from National Service and back into the work again. I stayed there for a couple of years and met the Manager of the huge Wellesly pit who stayed across the road from me. A very nice and smart man who was also a good friend of my family. The pit has NO DOUBT been defunct now for many years .

A coal town for sure but I have seen quite a few fantastic end-to-end games there.

What's the down on Methil, pray/

Home of the former illustrious East Fife, once THE premier team in Scotland, so good that the demand for exhibition matches in England exhausted their players and in some measure led to their gradual demise from the top flight.

But Bowling Green Street, Methil, has some fond memories for me as a very young man just back from National Service and back into the work again. I stayed there for a couple of years and met the Manager of the huge Wellesly pit who stayed across the road from me. A very nice and smart man who was also a good friend of my family. The pit has NO DOUBT been defunct now for many years .

A coal town for sure but I have seen quite a few fantastic end-to-end games there.

I went to Methil about twenty years ago to watch East Fife vs Dunfermline. My abiding memory of that day was Norrie McCathie of Dunfermline attempting to punt the ball up the park, but he sliced his kick and the ball ended up heading for the roof of the stand. The couple of hundred bods in there instinctively covered their heads with their hands... I was puzzled for a few seconds until I realised a heavy shower of rust particles was descending from the roof covering everything and everybody in sight....